• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Art Discussion Doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
"Terrain Board Need some help with making a terrain? Got an terrain screenshot that you would like to showcase? This is the place for you."

Terrain Board is under Artists Discussion... makes sense. I'm thinking that these forums would be suited to start general artist discussions, like discussing style, taste, -isms, etc. But I haven't yet seen a general terrain art discussion on the Terrain Board, only showcases, and requests for criticism on specific work. It makes me doubt on whether or not it would be considered off-topic to start a discussion of taste, without having anything specific to show, without any piece of work to discuss. Anyone else feeling like me? And would you consider such a vague topic of discussion like taste and preferences for off-topic?

Last edited:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

There's styles within terraining? Learn something every day..

Level 10
There you go. Apparently all terrainers must first master "Epicism" before they can get recognized and respected by the rest. Use hi-res. Fill with stuff everywhere. Let no surface be flat, not even a cornfield. Everything MUST be Epic; awe-inspiring - simply 2 good for u. And kill all hippies.

But I kinda want to take this discussion to the terrain board. Just wanted to hear whether it is off-topic at the terrain board, before I start it. Or.. I may not start it at all :p

Level 12
That is true, there are styles within terraining. It has to do with the scales of unit to doodads, usage of custom models, patterns of tileset usage. Realism: Unit scale to doodads is realistic. There are other styles that are non-realistic yet looks great.

I think if you really involve yourself deep into Terraining like you would in JASS, there are many tips and deep discussions we can relate to terraining, for instance the isms you mention. I did try to create a Terraining 101, but I think it'd failed only reached to 70, lol and now it is closed.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Aye, Pyritie, but the description can put you off sometimes. Although I think it would be better to try, and learn from that, than to ask first .. but since you did it, I noticed this and learned a bit about terraining, so I am glad you did. Oh, and as you describe it, I realize, there's no doubt that there is styles within terraining. Not styles the way I think of styles (artist, so I draw in different styles, ranging from traditional chalk to digital acrylics), but in a sense that also would be defined as styles. :p

Level 40
There you go. Apparently all terrainers must first master "Epicism" before they can get recognized and respected by the rest. Use hi-res. Fill with stuff everywhere. Let no surface be flat, not even a cornfield. Everything MUST be Epic; awe-inspiring - simply 2 good for u. And kill all hippies.
I'm starting to like you already.

--

Can't be too careful. Don't let people get to you who bug you for being polite, although it is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.