• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Music Contest #8 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
contest.png
number.png
8.png

results.png

MC8image.jpg

Hive Sountrack
Create a glorious piece to be featured as official soundtrack of the videos uploaded to The Hive Workshop's YouTube Channel, with no musical genre restrictions.

prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
  • Participants: 5 reputation points

contest%20judging.png

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

scores.png

Formula: (PollVotes/TotalVotes)*25 + (JudgeScore/MaxScore)*75

deepstrasz' judging
ThemeI won't say this doesn't fit the quite vague theme the contest asks for but the song definitely works on something showing action related scenes. It might have limited use, maybe towards a sci-fi/contemporary oriented branch.12/15
Creativity/OriginalityIt's based on three chords on repeat. The instrumentation is well chosen: from pianos to an electric guitar-ish synth, percussion and bass.7/10
ProductionMaster-wse, it's soft. The bass doesn't sound like what it should be and, along with the percussion they don't have low frequencies, hence there's no vibration. There isn't a big discrepancy between volumes. Solos compensate for this to some extent. 7/10
CompositionSound waves wary, although maintaining the same vibe throughout.13/15
Total39

ThemeIt's on a hybrid side: fantasy, maybe western steampunk, anyways, closer to the site's Warcraft theme. However, it won't quite fit showcasing terrain artwork but would be more for spell, map, maybe model presentations.14/15
Creativity/OriginalityThere are plenty of sounds therein (you could almost say there's an orchestra). Originality is a difficult term here. It has that trailer cliche feel at times. Compensation comes from hybridisation of music genres. I'd say the bells are somewhat excessively used (the cymbals more so) but I guess they're meant to be part of the percussion.8/10
ProductionSounds are in harmony overall. The bass and percussion isn't too bold but it's really there, you feel it through at least two senses.10/10
CompositionThe song's structure does not particularly bore, however doesn't truly impress. The repetitiveness lies in the emphasis on the chorus and the third step (cymbals, bells) that almost makes you reminisce a metronome beat count instead of letting yourself be taken by the song's flow.13/15
Total45

ThemeIt does have a Ennio Morricone vibe mostly grateful to the whistle. I can see it fit most sections of our Resources for showcasing.14/15
Creativity/OriginalityFor one, the whistling, then the march percussion along with strings, trumpets and piano. The "bass" is also interesting made from a substitute instrument from what I can hear.10/10
ProductionThe whistle is the loudest instrument and because of its high pitch it tends to annoy. Other than that volumes and frequencies blend in quite well.9/10
CompositionIt's pretty straightforward, has some sudden breaks/changes and ends with volume reduction which leaves room for a longer and foreseeable (credits) video ending. 13/15
Total46

ThemeI can hear some Glenn Stafford influence (Warcraft III soundtrack reference). As most if not all songs in the contest, it has action/war incorporated which leaves for instance landscape/envinromental terrain work out of the picture.14/15
Creativity/OriginalityInstrumentation is diverse and not used excessively from start to end except for the bass. Percussion is really present in parts of emphasis. Basically, the song has many parts where instruments play their role. However, there are moments of "I've heard this before" either in style or instrumentation.9/10
ProductionVolumes shift when needed as the song transmits its message. There are some background strings which aren't heard all the time without headphones. There's a part right to the end which sounds like background noise and it suddenly stops leaving only the piano on the roll.9/10
CompositionAs usual, your songs are known for their unusual structure. This randomness comes with some sense but in the end the composition is made of two main parts of which the last one (with the bass) occupies most of the song.14/15
Total46

ThemeI'm not sure this one fits with a Hiveworkshop theme.2/15
Creativity/OriginalityThere's just one instrument over a noisy background.2/10
ProductionThe sound isn't clear but a bit fuzzy. The guitar at times isn't properly tuned, plus some screechy notes.2/10
CompositionThis musical piece is plainly random. Parts aren't, let's say, logically connected and some of them give the impression as if the guitar/instrument is being played to be tuned rather than for composing.2/15
Total8

Arena winners.png

Contest Thread | Poll Thread

Attachments

• Judging Music Contest 8 Devine.pdf
    61.8 KB · Views: 266
Wtf i'm doing with spaghetti ? I never intended to make a western like :ogre_rage:
And i never picked any western styles, and i just learned who is Ennio Morricone by the @deepstrasz judgement.

I added the whistling (recorded and sampled myself :> ) do add an light hearted and adventurous vibe, like a journeyman in the middle of fantasy highlands.

For the instruments, i only have the basic synths in Fl Studio 11, so it was like super hard to make any realistic or good sounds.

If i had the other one's synth i could easily overcome these kind of problems.:vw_sad:

As i say very often "in life, we got what we can, not what we want". It make again much sense to me.

Eheheh, anyway, grats' to... me ? :goblin_wtf:

GG to other ones who participated too ^^ It was a pleasure to be in this contest (even if i had mediocre synth....)

Level 35
I added the whistling (recorded and sampled myself :> ) do add an light hearted and adventurous vibe, like a journeyman in the middle of fantasy highlands.)

Nice effort :smile:

Grats to the winners. Probably my last time participating in the forum as a whole. It was fun while it lasted!

Why? Disappointment in the results or?

Yeah, I knew @GhostOfPast would be the winner... So, I voted for him.

That's the wrong reason to vote for someone. Say the only reason he won was due to public votes, so if you actually prefered another and just went with group mentality then you kinda spoiled the idea of a vote. (I am going to assume you also liked his piece the most)

That's the wrong reason to vote for someone. Say the only reason he won was due to public votes, so if you actually prefered another and just went with group mentality then you kinda spoiled the idea of a vote. (I am going to assume you also liked his piece the most)
No, that is not the reason. I really enjoyed his/her song!

Level 30
Wtf i'm doing with spaghetti ? I never intended to make a western like :ogre_rage:
And i never picked any western styles, and i just learned who is Ennio Morricone by the @deepstrasz judgement.
That's the thing about art, much of it is in the interpretation. It makes a lot of sense from where you're coming from, but it's no coincidence me and deep both linked it to Ennio.
Lighten up, because you did a great job! Congrats <3

Sweet! I'm looking forward to hearing it again when you submit it for the next contest!

Level 17
congrats all

"sounds like a bag of dicks" can I get that instead of "second place" text on the icon :c? Such a beautiful quote.

Might try re-editing my entry with some gachi muchi stuff to see how it goes xD

Last edited:
Level 9
Sweet! I'm looking forward to hearing it again when you submit it for the next contest!
:goblin_boom:

Congrats to the winners! Just wondering but,1st 2nd and 3rd place are going to be used on a Hive video(different videos),or only 1st place?

"sounds like a bag of dicks" can I get that instead of "second place" text on the icon :c? Such a beautiful quote.
If you get that...im gonna regret my whole life not having participated in this so i could get that.

Level 5
Why? Disappointment in the results or?

Not at all. Especially given that I only spent half an hour on making the song in the first place. Just that I'm terribly inactive in the forums altogether. In fact, if not for this contest, I wouldn't have come out of the woodwork. So now, with the contest over, and especially given that I'm running into some legal issues with my songs, I may aswell just opt out all together.

Level 28
Hey let's get the theme discussion for the next one rolling already!

Music Contest #9 - Theme Discussion

Congrats to the winners! Just wondering but,1st 2nd and 3rd place are going to be used on a Hive video(different videos),or only 1st place?
It's up to the editors. And yes they won't be restricted to use the 1st place only - the songs are really good and each one has a different feeling/fits different situations for the videos.

hahahahah

Level 35

I have a sudden urge to make the icon for your second place award :grin:

Ah good good :smile: I did assume it was the case, but needed to check it.

Not at all. Especially given that I only spent half an hour on making the song in the first place. Just that I'm terribly inactive in the forums altogether. In fact, if not for this contest, I wouldn't have come out of the woodwork. So now, with the contest over, and especially given that I'm running into some legal issues with my songs, I may aswell just opt out all together.

That would be a shame, I have been fairly on/off inactive on Hive for years. Sometimes going into a contest, but mostly just lurking compared to my earlier activity. Instead of just cutting it out, feel free to lurk a bit more and find support. That might be more useful if RL is treating you unfairly.

Status
Not open for further replies.