• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #9 - Theme Poll [TIE BREAK]

Music Contest #9 Theme Options:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
This is to break the tie of last poll. Choose from these two:

Steampunk:
Participants should create a song that fits the steampunk retro-futuristic aesthetic.

Journey:
The track must depict a journey, with soundscapes evolving into different locations and situations. It may be inspired by any fantasy lore (original, futuristic, Warcraft, etc), actual history/geography, mythology, etc.​

Level 29
Oh my Journery like Lord of the rings? or Steampunk like Matrix? coca cola or pesi? life is such a dicotomy

I go for steampunk because I like hearing as example Michael Bradley and Joanne Harris music. Futuristic and retro at the same time.

Underground and Saved by Science

Actually I am more used to the term Cyberpunk, because is cybernetic, but there is a diference between steampunk and cyberpunk? both punk?

for example cyberpunk is more for city-cybernetic-futuristic theme, while steampunk is more for vapor futuristic civilizations such as steamboy and Last exile anime

also motorcycle themes are usually related to cyberpunk / steampunk, there are cybernetic and clasic bikes but the punk theme is the same, the bike going fast with a fast rythm music.

latest

latest

1e51074c6cb510cfd3bec0f147bca0af.jpg

1463932837-bc5c49f5f2f76c81df847d5a27bb5c2b.png

3f2ca7bc4c45639d1247ea48050f3df0.jpg

4fba7da77dd5496835ae3663221df604--manga-art-anime-manga.jpg

dirtbikes.jpg

but well one thing is the serie and another thing could be the music?

edit1

While google in, the art concept of steampunk, there is 100% diference with ciberpunk

ciberpunk is more city / technology while steampunk is more fantasy related to steam, air or old combustion concepts, or old and futuristic mechanical units.

0e16e8e411139152e5f46d7d164dc3e6--motorcycle-art-steampunk-motorcycle.jpg

screenshot20111107at653.png

SteampunkAirship_screenshot1-1920x1080-1ae3810cf9702b4be3c3288531c682af.png

Airships_2587580.jpg

wdgxnhgtfrula.jpg

steamboy3.jpg

a545507633890e6b43040045fdd3b231.jpg

now the steampunk music?? ?? , I think there is not a clearly defined music for this art topic, if it slow you fall in journey and and if is too agressive you still can fall in battle themes.[S/]

@Naze
my question is: for the contest and the life it self is cyberpunk music = steampunk music?
because both are retro / futuristic
if the anwser is no, what is steampunk music? for art images, is pretty specific and is hard to relate a music to steam art.

can you link a youtube steampunk music? because, maybe we are voting with not even know what we are voting

edit2

Steampunk - Wikipedia
probably the definition of steampunk music, is clasic music with futurist concepts or elements, I think the Last exile serie is one of the best examples,

steam punk music is indeed rare, but it has a lot of punk elements shared with the cyberpunk, still, this two types of music are quite diferent for a trained ear.

I really like steampunk theme and music like Last Exile and I vote for steampunk.

Jouney music: is a nice clasic, in games like suikoden saga, final fantasy saga, tales of... saga, the legend of zelda saga and there are a lot of others sagas that fit.
you start in the town then you go to the forest, then to the sea, then to the undergrund dungeon, and then to the sacred temple
and every place has its own music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 28
Oh my Journery like Lord of the rings?
Journey in the sense that the song must evolve through different soundscapes or situation. For example, the song may start inspired by Durotar, change to Felwood and end situated in the World Tree, representing a journey through Kalimdor. It may be about mythology, real life places or other universes not restricted to Warcraft. It also can be about situations, like starting in in some love theme and evolving into a battle.

now the steampunk music?? ?? , I think there is not a clearly defined music for this art topic, if it slow you fall in journey and and if is too agressive you still can fall in battle themes.
Well there's no problem in this! It can be a steampunk battle or a steampunk journey ;^)

And yes, your study on steampunk from your last post shows there's a difference between cyber and steampunk: cyber is more futuristic while steampunk is older/historical, typically inspired by the 1890 Victorian England, but with some crazy technologies that weren't available at that time (this is the retrofuturistic part).

Unfortunately I can't find youtube video examples now, but it's like some old and burlesque 19th century European music with a bit of a more modern experimentation and a decadent or adventurous feel, sometimes with steam machines samples or brass. Another genre often associated with steampunk is named dark cabaret (you can search for it as I can't provide links now)

Level 29
Journey in the sense that the song must evolve through different soundscapes or situation. For example, the song may start inspired by Durotar, change to Felwood and end situated in the World Tree, representing a journey through Kalimdor. It may be about mythology, real life places or other universes not restricted to Warcraft. It also can be about situations, like starting in in some love theme and evolving into a battle.

Well there's no problem in this! It can be a steampunk battle or a steampunk journey ;^)

And yes, your study on steampunk from your last post shows there's a difference between cyber and steampunk: cyber is more futuristic while steampunk is older/historical, typically inspired by the 1890 Victorian England, but with some crazy technologies that weren't available at that time (this is the retrofuturistic part).

Unfortunately I can't find youtube video examples now, but it's like some old and burlesque 19th century European music with a bit of a more modern experimentation and a decadent or adventurous feel, sometimes with steam machines samples or brass. Another genre often associated with steampunk is named dark cabaret (you can search for it as I can't provide links now)

thanks for the explain, I will search your info.

edit1: yes steampunk music is also vast, it can go for something nice to battle, opera or even dark cabaret wich has some dark and gothic influence.

also sky pirates is considered to be steampunk theme

If Journey wins, still the steampunk journey is posible XD

is good to have this talk, because in this poll or in the future music poll contest steampunk can be an option and is not that common to have a clear concept in the mind, since is a sub genre of the punk you can confuse with general punk. My case I got confused in a moment with the cyberpunk. Cyberpunk will fit more for Starcraft 2 music.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
my question is: for the contest and the life it self is cyberpunk music = steampunk music?
because both are retro / futuristic
Obviously not. One is more futuristic/electronic oriented while steampunk is more western, industrial age even earlier oriented.
I think the Last exile serie is one of the best examples,
Not at all. That is technoish minimal.

Level 29
Obviously not. One is more futuristic/electronic oriented while steampunk is more western, industrial age even earlier oriented.

Not at all. That is technoish minimal.

technoish minimal okey good to know another category, I am going to cross out my text so I avoid more quotes,

@deepstrasz

now this fits as steampunk? is from a battle scene of Last exile.

Status
Not open for further replies.