• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #5 Theme Poll

Choose any theme(2 votes allowed)

• Futuristic - Music that expresses the futuristic era.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Steampunk - The music will give the feeling of steampunk.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Dark - A dark music composition which should make the listener feel helpless, pessimist.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Action - Boss fight music for example. The era is not important, it can be medieval or futuristic.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Tension/Horror - Making the listeners stay on alert, it should keep them uncomfortable.

• Dramatic - This type gradually builds up and exerts certain pitches and low wave lengths.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Here you go guys!

For more information read here, sorry for late update.

Futuristic - Futurism was an early 20th-century art movement which encompassed painting, sculpture, poetry, theatre, music, architecture and gastronomy. Filippo Tommaso Marinetti initiated the movement with his Manifesto of Futurism, published in February 1909. Futurist music rejected tradition and introduced experimental sounds inspired by machinery, and influenced several 20th-century composers. I couldn't find a very good explanation for this theme but it explains it well. Here are some examples;

Futurustic relaxing music

Epicuros - Metropolis 2.1

Steampunk - Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.

This theme has a carnivalish and cabaretish sound in it too as I've noticed. Here are a few examples;

Spieldose

Six steampunk songs

1 Hour of Steampunk and Futuristic Music

Dark - Dark ambient (in the 1980s also referred to as ambient industrial) is a genre of post-industrial music that features foreboding, ominous, or discordant overtones, some of which were heavily inspired by elements of ambient music.

Some examples;

2 Hours of Dark Music by Adrian von Ziegler

Vampirical Dark Music

Action - It's self explanatory. Here are a few examples though;

Action Music 1

Extreme Music - Combat Ready

Megatrax - Crimson Absolution (Epic Rock Action Drama)

ReallySlowMotion Music - Legendary (Epic Powerful Heroic Hybrid Drama)

Tension/Horror - Thriller is a broad genre of literature, film and television, having numerous subgenres. Thrillers are characterized and defined by the moods they elicit, giving viewers heightened feelings of suspense, excitement, surprise,anticipation and anxiety. This genre aims to keep the audience on the "edge of their seats". Again some examples;

Horror tension and suspense

The Hidden Suspense

Left for dead 2 theme song(I think this is a nice song that gives tension but it turns into more action based later on still not losing the tension base)

Dramatic - I couldn't find a good description online but this this theme is to start slowly and gradually building up the song with an epic and strong comeback. Examples down below;

Two Steps From Hell - Heart of Courage

Two Steps From Hell - Moving Mountains

AudioNetwork - Celestial

--------------------
Theme Discussion

Last edited:
Level 28
Sem título.jpg

lol 150%

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Damn, nobody's really going for Steampunk. Well, it seems most are boss theme brainwashed or maybe it's what they need...

aandd... I wanna' see who voted what :oops:

also, "Make them ex" in the tension category for the votes.

Level 19
Damn, nobody's really going for Steampunk. Well, it seems most are boss theme brainwashed or maybe it's what they need...

aandd... I wanna' see who voted what :oops:

also, "Make them ex" in the tension category for the votes.

Ahahaha :D i dunno man i didnt want people to judge others :D hence the anonimity.

Steampunk is a harder genre compared to others here thats why i think it got few votes.

And also i didnt get the "make them ex" part :rolleyes:

Since we have enough supply of medieval tones that are most frequently used in maps I voted for futuristic and dramatic. I also like the vibrant essence of futuristic music, it's very relaxing. I'm not sure about this contest and the idea, because there aren't a lot of people who have the knowledge or time to make music for a contest. Firstly there should be a number of participants and ONLY then the contest should be started, otherwise it would be quite awkward when the contest starts and there are no participates. To sum it up the voting is probably useless because different genres require different skills, instead it should be a common genre that participates have knowledge of.

Level 19
You are right but what I think about Hive contests are to gather the hivers together and create a little challenge and have a good time. Every participation is good even if it is bad or mediocre. Because it doesn't matter, we are all trying to have fun and a little competition.

Additionally, the ones who have knowledge about music are allowed to give feedback to the ones with less knowledge. It is like a workshop for exchanging knowledge.

One problem is, there may be no people/few participating when the contest starts as you've said but I hope that this will not happen :goblin_cry:

Level 15
Sadly, I'm too late to vote since the poll is already closed. :(

It would be fun to write for any of the categories, but I'd especially like to write for one of the less popular ones.

For example, a lot of people want to hear "epic battle music" or stuff like that, but people often miss the lesser-known categories that are just as interesting and compelling.

Level 15
Futuristic seems interesting, but I'm not sure what to write for that category.

Steampunk are Dark are the most interesting to me, because they are not standard things people think of, but I can think of some good ideas for both of them.

There are also melancholy/sad and emotional categories as well, which can be very moving and something I would be interested in writing as well, but not votes on the poll, so I'll save that for a later time. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.