• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #6 - Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Christmas everyone and welcome to another discussion :]

Come along and suggest themes for a new music contest whenever you have the time on your side.

Suggestions:

Action - Boss fight music for example. The era is not important, it can be medieval or futuristic theme.

Tension/Horror - Making the listeners stay on alert, it should keep them uncomfortable. Make them expect for something.

-------
List of music making tools

More to be added given the replies here.

@NightStalker06698 @AditTechno @DED1 @Arisato @Brambleclaw @StringStorm @deepstrasz @Naze @PrinceYaser @Samuraid @The World Is Flat @Pyrogasm @Elf_Lord

Level 19
Oh great to see the music contests are getting alive more and more!! Okay here are some ideas from me;

1) I've started working on stealth music and I've found it to be pretty enjoyable. The ones you hear from Call of duty missions(some of them), Hitman soundtracks, splinter cell maybe etc..
- Call of Duty 4 Sniper Mission Music
- Stealth Music - Space
- Assassin's Creed 2 OST / Jesper Kyd - Stealth (Track 25)
- Stealth Music - Silent Assassin
- Hitman: Blood Money OST - 07 - Amb Zone

2)Apocalyptic music(Zombie apocalypse, natural apocalypse). It should express the destruction the apocalypse caused, how empty a person can feel, left alone, lost many friends and family members etc.. The only thing to do is to survive
- 28 Days Later Theme/In the House, In a Heartbeat - John Murphy(this one truly is a masterpiece imo simple yet very effective nicely composed)
- 7 days to die Theme Song (I can tell this was inspired from 28 days later theme, inspiration is nothing bad tho this one is awesome too)
- Metro 2033 - Guitar Soundtrack
- Marilyn Manson - Resident Evil Main Title Theme (Corp. Umbrella) (SX Long) (This one's a beast!!)

3)Maybe a themed rap beat(industrial, gangster, horrorcore etc...). Composers can rap on them if they want to and this should be very fun imo
- F*ck Haters
- Best Rap Freestyle Battle Hip Hop Instrumental Beat
- The Game - My Life (Instrumental) Rap is not just violence, emotional ones do exist such as this ^^
- Eminem - Stan Instrumental
- Tech N9ne - Fragile Instrumental
- Outsider - Loner (Instrumental)
- Twista - Mr Tung Twista Instrumental

4)Umm.. what about Christmas themed music? Since it's that time of the year :p The examples I'm putting are not mainstream Christmas songs you guys should check them out :D
- Christmas Eve/ Sarajevo [Timeless Version]
- London Symphony Orchestra - Joyful Music for Christmas
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Wizards In Winter (video)
- Beetle Juice Theme Song (I thought I could put this song under this theme since it sounds a bit christmas-ish :p)
- Figure - Beetlejuice (Dubstep Mix) (This is the previous one's dubstep mix as it says, an awesome one too)

5)Putting steampunk in again might be good. I still think this would be a hard theme tho :D
- London, 1856 - A Steampunk Orchestra - Epic Adventure Music
- STEAMPUNK & VICTORIAN ERA Orchestral Music Compilation | 2-Hour Epic Mix
- 01 Discombobulate - Hans Zimmer - Sherlock Holmes Score
- Epic Orchestral Steampunk Music - Of Fire And Steam By Michael Ghelfi
- 03 I Never Woke Up In Handcuffs Before - Hans Zimmer - Sherlock Holmes Score

6)Future Garage music or some may refer to inspiring moody songs to them Here are some examples:
- Aaron Static - I Won't
- Alivvve - Eternity(This is ambient music actually but i've found it during my search so im putting it in here)
- Phaeleh - Should Be True(This guy makes perfect music :p)
- Tom Day - Who we want to be
- Tom Day - Going Home

These are all for now :p

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
For some reason I did not receive a notification for Heinvers' @. So, NightStalker06698's message on my profile lead me here as I do not really check the Arena too often.

I think we should leave out the music that includes lyrics. Voice sounds are OK here and there unless they're some choir or something. Not everybody has a good voice or proper recording gear. Not everybody can talk words one after the other in a quick manner...

So, yeah, the steampunk theme is indeed hard but we should keep it in the discussion.
Other themes I can think of at this hour are:
-natural events
-grandiose monuments, buildings
-life
-the universe
-death/nonexistence
-randomness

Level 32
I suggest fantasy.

I think people are really dying for some good, custom made music, that will fit most WC3 maps. I know this isn't for WC3 maps, but I think it'd be a fantastic combination and win-win.
That way the music lasts longer than the contest through other parts of the site, in maps / campaigns of course.

Level 38
I suggest fantasy.

I think people are really dying for some good, custom made music, that will fit most WC3 maps. I know this isn't for WC3 maps, but I think it'd be a fantastic combination and win-win.
That way the music lasts longer than the contest through other parts of the site, in maps / campaigns of course.
"Compose music based on one of the approved maps or hosted projects"

Level 19
It would surely draw more attention but there might be a need for two polls. First for which map and a second one for which theme(where the music will be used) to compose for. Else there will be many themes which cannot be compared. Since there can be many different approaches to a single theme itd be a mess if you ask me if there will be no thematic idea chosen.

Level 38
I might need some introductory definition to this particular line. I think I don't truly understand how that would work. @Pyrogasm ?
It would surely draw more attention but there might be a need for two polls. First for which map and a second one for which theme(where the music will be used) to compose for. Else there will be many themes which cannot be compared. Since there can be many different approaches to a single theme itd be a mess if you ask me if there will be no thematic idea chosen.

I was envisioning it being more on the open-ended side of things where each entrant could pick a map of their choice as their inspiration. Most Wc3 maps pretty easily fall into a high fantasy genre, which I think is a somewhat broad but not hopelessly basic theme for a composition, but there are many other styles of wc3 maps. There are definitely a number of space/future maps, some based on/in water, maps like LoaP/Mafia that are more modern urban, and then things like minigames which may have their own style to be picked up on (what would Warlock music really sound like if it didn't use Storm, Earth & Fire for 100% of the game? lol). I think it would be cool to hear people design a short song for an Uther Party minigame or a cinematic battle between demons and humans or for something like those tank sliders games we played at the mapping event.

Ofc not all of those are in the maps section, but I just liked the idea of trying to fit a song in with the established style of a map the reviewers thought was good enough to be in the database. Perhaps drawing from just the in-progress or completed hosted projects would be a better restriction on which maps.

Since I liked my above idea: alternatively just have everyone pick an Uther Party Minigame of their choice and make a short composition for it.

Level 19
As ive said before i like the idea of creating a piece for a chosen theme for a chosen campaign/map which is not a very small fun map. Itd be too short or not very deep for a music piece that was created for a fun map if you ask me. But a campaign or a bigger map can have better music created for them.

Too much diversity is something we should avoid imo.

Level 9
I would like to see Matt Uelman style - Diablo music. Keeping it ambient but memorable melodies at the same time. Hard to do, but so good when it works.

P.S. Super excited to see more music contests coming up, was really hoping there'd be a bigger focus on that!

Level 30
How about something that has like human person emotions?
Love themed? Could be amazing. Nerdy Fantasy/Love Crossover. There's so many angles you can look at this.
All styles are welcome. I would insist on allowing pop-music entries. I, myself, don't want to do any traditional scores.

And I want to stress that I'd take a theme which can be interpreted very loosely, so everyone can have fun.
I can dig all of PrinceYaser's suggestions, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.