• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mountain Dwarf Runebreaker

Descending from the mountains, these reclusive Dwarves have become brutal and savage; wielding powerful runic magic against their enemies. Immune to spells, and capable of manipulating magic itself, these powerful, savage mountain men have pledged themselves to serve the Alliance as Spellbreakers.

Contains a custom missile called Runeblast.

Feel free to use and/or edit this model, so long as I get the credit I'm due.

This unit was meant to replace the Spellbreaker.

Keywords:
Mountain, Dwarf, Mage, Druid, Rune, Shaman, Hero, Spellbreaker, Alliance, Wild, Very Witty Keyword
Contents

Mountain Dwarf Runebreaker (Model)

Mountain Dwarf Runebreaker (Model)

Reviews
14:20, 6th Jul 2014 MiniMage: Same as the other ones.

M

14:20, 6th Jul 2014
MiniMage: Same as the other ones.

Level 49
damn your dwarves are the tits!
the rune shield thing idea is really clever, i like that.
walk animations are just perfect.
though a little movement on those shoulders on the stand-2 may lessen the arm stretching but its no big deal. also, i like the custom missile.
cool, cool, cool model

I was seriously debating having him go full melee for "Spell Steal"; by having him leap onto his target, and literally rip the magic off them with his bare hands.

Also, I've decided on an ongoing theme for these Dwarves, after a little looky at the Wowwiki; they're Mountain Dwarves, possibly a reclusive clan. My first thought was that they were all Wildhammer dwarves, but apparently that don't grok with the Bear Knight thing.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
(*sigh* Finally getting started reviewing these... :p)

Let me just start by saying this is probably my favorite of all the new Dwarves you've put out so far (up to Thane). Granted, that is probably due to the fact that he's one of the few I can actually use, but hey. :p

A "rough-n-tumble Dwarven Spellbreaker" is a really interesting seed of an idea, just to begin with. You've taken that to the max, with custom animations, a really creative "rune" concept, and even a snazzy custom SFX to go along with it! /win.

Pros
  • Nice mesh. Good proportions & such-like.
  • Great SFX! Very creative use of Runes.
  • Great missile/projectile! Surprising how few of those you find associated with models, given how (relatively) easy they are to make.
  • Will have to check the animations again in-viewer/game, but as far as I could tell they were fine. Sometimes your Walk's have a bit of a 'halting' quality to them, but I know it's difficult to get all the parts moving right. Just look at, like, the Mountain King perhaps.
  • RUNE SHIELD. That is one of the single-coolest ideas to date. Love it. Wish I could use it more.
  • I think that Skull Helmet is really cool... But (see below) not particularly on *this* guy. :<
  • The head/face. One of the hardest things with Dwarves (and Trolls, and Goblins, and Pandaren... *sigh*) is making new heads/faces. Well, you didn't, but you modified it enough that it looks different, while still fitting in-game. THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT. A lot of your cooler Dwarf models suffer from "weird-face-syndrome", IMO. - I especially love the little purple eye-glow you put on their; helps differentiate it from the Mortar Team base.
  • Cool idea.
  • I totally think I can use this. I needed a Wildhammer Dwarf, and making a caster out of one is a great idea. Perhaps even a battle-caster, or merely a Ranged Support/Pseudo-Caster. Hmm....

Cons
  • That skull helmet... I am just not feeling it. I desperately want to replace it (and know I can, since you've given us that permission), but I don't know what to, or even really how. Grrrr.... It's just weird, y'know? Yeah, he's brutal & more wild or something ("Wildhammer"), but I just can't see them wearing goat skulls. Seems solely the proprietary property of Warlocks 'n' such. Alternatives?
  • If there's anything wrong with the animations, it'll go here.
  • I like the armor's placement, nice use of TC... But it seems really "advanced" to be worn by a tribal-ish barbarian culture of Dwarves. If he's really a "Mountain Dwarf" (or even "Wildhammer"), shouldn't they be stuck with, like, leather jerkins, bones, furs, or just bare skin?
  • WHY NO RUNE-TATTOOS? That's like, the single best thing about a "Rune-dude". :<
  • I wish the color of the Rune Shield & Rune-hand-SFX could be changed... Blue & Yellow are pretty glaringly... different.
  • HE'S TOO AWEXOME.

So yeah. I think someone, somewhere, really oughta make a fo'serious "Runemaster", where his whole body is covered in glowing TC runes that pulse & burst with light for his spell/attack animations. This guy could be like his little brother, then. :p

I was seriously debating having him go full melee for "Spell Steal"; by having him leap onto his target, and literally rip the magic off them with his bare hands.
That would actually be pretty cool... Though you gotta watch out for animations that move the character, that they look natural "getting into" & "getting out of" them, if you know what I mean.

Vermillion Edict said:
Also, I've decided on an ongoing theme for these Dwarves, after a little looky at the Wowwiki; they're Mountain Dwarves, possibly a reclusive clan. My first thought was that they were all Wildhammer dwarves, but apparently that don't grok with the Bear Knight thing.
Eh... "Mountain Dwarves"? Sounds like "Wildhammer" but with a different name. Who says they have to be all of the same clan (all the Dwarves you've made)? "Bear Knights" could just be a fun diversion.

In summation; MAKE MORE (IN-GAME FITTING) WILDHAMMERs. Yeah, baby.

Good job. :p

Level 32
Awesome model. I downloaded it, and why does the shield get smaller when it attacks? I too am not a fan of the goat helmet. It's fine, but I don't find it that matching. The team color shows A LOT more than the Warcraft units, something you might want to think about.
EDIT: Only sometimes.

4/5

Last edited:
Level 1
Hi, I really like your model and I want to know If I can add it to my Dota style map? I will give you credit of course :) (I have not post my map on hive yet)

PS: sorry for my bad English

Level 3
Maybe I'm just stoopid but for me the portrait.mdx is the missile resulting in the unit not having a portrait in game. Is that intended?