• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] morph permanently changing color of "hero glow"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
hey,

I have been fighting with this for hours and would really appreciate any help -

I'm using models that weren't created as heroes - as heroes, so I added a hero glow by making a passive hero glow ability based on "slow aura". currently I am making a temporary morph spell for one of these heroes and for some reason when he morphs it changes the hero glow to red. this stays red after it morphs back too.

after much experimenting, it doesn't help to do any of the following:
- use a diff unit model,
- change vertex coloring,
- take away the glow ability and give it back,
- make the glow model an effect and not an ability,
- base the ability off of a different morph (this problem happened both with metamorphosis and with chemical rage),
- change and change back the unit ownership
- make the morphed unit get the glow ability only after a "wait"

when I take away the glow from the morphed version - first the glow changes to red, and only then disappears.

does anyone have any idea what's going wrong or how I can change the color back?

thanks!

EDIT: another problem I'm having with this spell that seems to be another symptom of the same issue- for some reason I can only add the triggered "actions" of the spell after a 1 second wait (I didn't play around with finding the exact time too much, but half a second wasn't enough.). otherwise, the triggered actions (it's an aura, so it's visually apparent) appear for a fraction of a second and then disappear.

would be happy for any help... thanks!!

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
Make your Hero Glow ability based on Devotion Aura, make it a non-Hero ability (so a Unit ability), and add the art through Art - Target. Set it's Targets Allowed to None and Button Positions to X: 0, Y: -11.

Other than that, I've experienced similar issues with Colors not working properly. If you toggle through all of the available Player Colors option (one of the minimap buttons) I think it fixes this issue. Not sure if you can trigger this to happen to fix it as well.

Other than that, I've experienced similar issues with Colors not working properly. If you toggle through all of the available Player Colors option (one of the minimap buttons) I think it fixes this issue. Not sure if you can trigger this to happen to fix it as well.

Yeah you can, you disable it or set it to specific values, in case you disable it with people having it at the wrong setting.

Level 21
Make your Hero Glow ability based on Devotion Aura, make it a non-Hero ability (so a Unit ability), and add the art through Art - Target. Set it's Targets Allowed to None and Button Positions to X: 0, Y: -11.

Tried it, but that didn't work for me (unless the button position is a critical part of it - couldn't get that to be negative, or anything other than 0,1,2)

Yeah you can, you disable it or set it to specific values, in case you disable it with people having it at the wrong setting.

after a little tinkering this works! thanks!
  • indecent
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Indecent Exposure
    • Actions
      • Wait 1.00 seconds
      • Game - Set ally color filtering to 0
      • Game - Set ally color filtering to 1
      • Game - Set ally color filtering to 2

Still I wish I could get rid of the 1 second delay before my spell starts working and the aura reverts to it's proper color... any idea what I need to change to be able to get rid of the wait?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
Hold shift while opening an Editor field to allow the use of negative values (this also allows you to ignore most min/max limits).

You need to have "Allow negative reals..." enabled in File/Preferences.

And maybe change the Event to A unit finishes casting an ability or use the Issued order method we used before for your exploding Chemical Rage unit.

Remember, in response to A unit starts the effect of an ability you're referencing the old unit and not the new morphed unit. That's why the Wait works, because it's officially morphed at that time.

Last edited:
Level 21
And maybe change the Event to A unit finishes casting an ability or use the Issued order method we used before for your exploding Chemical Rage unit.

this way didn't trip my trigger at all, even with the 1 sec wait... :eekani:

Remember, in response to A unit starts the effect of an ability you're referencing the old unit and not the new morphed unit. That's why the Wait works, because it's officially morphed at that time.

yeah, but then it turns into the same unit - same cv, still considered the triggering unit etc'. is there any way to target it right after the transition point? or to figure it out based on cast time etc' (I doubt it bc I changed those to 0 and didn't change anything)?

currently I found two bad workarounds based on masking this awkward 1 second with a special effect - this also runs into the same problem - the minute the first unit is removed, the SFX on it is removed too. and I can only place one on the morphed unit after I target it. so my bad workarounds are:
1. do the same effect on it before and after the wait (there is still an ugly gap in between)
2. cast the effect on the point of the unit (this is bad bc the unit moves and the effect is left behind... )

any ways to make my workaround effect less hacky?

Level 21
I don't want to jinx it, but I think I've stumbled upon the holy grail of chemical rage:jd: (or something you guys will say is super obvious)

the field that control this:
yeah, but then it turns into the same unit - same cv, still considered the triggering unit etc'. is there any way to target it right after the transition point? or to figure it out based on cast time etc' (I doubt it bc I changed those to 0 and didn't change anything)?
in the editor is : stats - duration- normal. so setting that to 0 got rid of my pesky wait.

YAY!!!

this is especially sneaky(/lazy?) of the guys at blizzard, bc it is not really what it says, or in any way parallel to hero- duration, but rather another criteria of hero duration...

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
I don't want to jinx it, but I think I've stumbled upon the holy grail of chemical rage:jd: (or something you guys will say is super obvious)

the field that control this:

in the editor is : stats - duration- normal. so setting that to 0 got rid of my pesky wait.

YAY!!!

this is especially sneaky(/lazy?) of the guys at blizzard, bc it is not really what it says, or in any way parallel to hero- duration, but rather another criteria of hero duration...
Instead of creating a new field they used the normal duration to represent the transition time. It's annoying that there's no information regarding this.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I went over this in your old Chemical Rage trigger :p
You should've referenced that!

Level 21
Anyway, I'm pretty sure I went over this in your old Chemical Rage trigger :p
You should've referenced that!
I actually reread all pieces of that that I could find (it was kind of like this subject, spread between forum threads and pm threads) before I started this thread to begin with, but I guess I missed it...

In any case, thanks guys, I think this one's solved... :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.