• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modifying Terrain Pathability in Reforged

Level 11
Prior to WC3 Reforged's release I had followed this tuorial from WarHaven on using the Terrain.slk file to modify the pathability of the terrain in the World Editor. With Reforged, this doesn't work anymore.

Has anyone successfully modified the pathability of terrain in the Reforged editor?

EDIT: The tutorial has moved to here: Link

Last edited:
Level 11
Thanks for the response. My issue is that placing the .slk file in the game directory doesn't seem to be working.

I have placed the file at ".../Warcraft III/war3.mpq/TerrainArt/Terrain.slk". Is this the correct place to place this file?

Level 12
Thanks for the tip, until then I had to use good old Zepir's editor (the only third party WE that ever existed ^^) but at it is so old, it messes the whole map.
So I was editing the terrain before importing the new terrain in my map with MPQEditor.

This will make foxing the pathing on maps much easier !

Level 3
Does this still work? I can't make this work. Do i need to edit the registry? I cant find the path in the registry there is no warcraft 3 folder there.

Level 12
Hello there !

Well I believe this still works - and you don't need to edit the registry for the local files. But be careful, I tried to edit some other SLKs and they crashed World Editor.

Problem with this method is that you need a specific Terrain SLK for a specific terrain pathing setup as what it consists of is basically modifying pathability of each different tile TYPE.

Not like it would give us a button to edit pathing directly.

Level 3
I figured this out. You need to exit the world editor completely and reopen it in order for the changes to take effect.

Level 5
Is this still working for you?
The newest patch seemed to have wrecked my pathing
'.../Warcraft III/TerrainArt/Terrain.slk' (which is where mine is placed, does not work anymore

Level 12
Not sure it still works, I have to import a custom pathing map or use pathing blockers currently.
I am not trying to change tile-specific pathing anymore because it did not allow complete control of pathability.

Level 5
I know this is late but but this no longer works for me, and i have placed my folder in the retail section.

(it did work at first but a later patch messed everything up)

Level 11
Returning to this after a long time, but this works for me in the _retail_ directory. I have the file at C:\...\Warcraft III\_retail_\TerrainArt\Terrain.slk and it works! Sadly the original tutorial I linked is gone now :(

Level 11
Yeah. The slk file modifies the pathing map that the editor produces when you save the map, not the pathing at play time.

I use it to make the village road tiles buildable, so that I can use them aesthetically without interfering with player buildings.

Level 2
You need to edit your registry to allow local changes, if you do not have a WC3 entry int he registry you need to create a new registry folder.

Terrainart folder needs to be in the retail folder, this works for me as of 17.11.2023