• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Tile Pathability in Sharpcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So I recently updated my Warcraft 3 (the patch of doom!), and - as far as I've tested and heard - World Editor Newgen no longer functions.

So I got Sharpcraft instead (as my map has over 10thousand doodads I think) to remove editor limits. But I am missing a feature; custom tile pathability.

Like several other large maps I use Lordaeron Rocks to cover mountains and such, having modified it to be non-pathable. That way you don't have to place a million pathing blockers just because you use Raise instead of butt-ugly Blizzard cliffs.

Any way to do this with Sharpcraft (Or a different, updated tool)? Modifying a tileset's parameters to make it unpathable?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You can try modifying the tileset slk file and putting it at the appropriate path in your WC3 install folder with local files setting enabled. Not sure if the editor will use it over the default one though.

Otherwise one could do a rather hacky thing of masking out the terrain nodes with the pathing and using that as a stencil on the pathing map. This would require the creation/use of third party tools to extract images of terrain tile type from the w3e file and to convert to/from image the wpm file.

Level 5
Thanks for the replies

But I have no idea how to do that? Where do you find Terrain.slk? Is it in one of the MPQs?

EDIT: Turns out I just need to give it a go; I found the Terrain.slk using an MPQ editor and fixed it.

Rocks still seem pathable in the editor/in-game though.

EDIT2: I just need to try damnit!... MPQ editor just needed a few special permissions, and everything worked out.
Thanks for the help. +rep

Last edited:
Level 5
I would not recommend modifying the MPQ files, but rather extract the files and use them using the local file feature (enable with regedit). Modifying the MPQ files can get your CD key banned from Blizzard BattleNet.
How does that work? Do you import Terrain.slk into the map?

Level 5
Not at all. You modify your windows registry to enable a flag that tells wc3 to load loose files from the wc3 directory instead of solely from mpqs.

Customizing your Warcraft

Will this also function when/if the map is played by external clients? I.e. played on Battle.net?

P.S. My Warcraft already says: "Allow Local Files (1)". So I should just throw an edited Terrain.slk file in my Warcraft 3 folder (in some dummy folder called "TerrainArt", I guess), and it'll overwrite the MPQ one?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Will this also function when/if the map is played by external clients? I.e. played on Battle.net?
No it will not work for them, not like it matters though since they will not be loading and saving the map in the editor.

The wpm file contains the static pathing map and that is generated on map save. All pathing sources like terrain pathability, water, cliffs and doodads are compiled into the wpm file on map save. Only pathing sources such as destructables, building units and trigger altered pathing are not. Modifying the tileset data file changes how the wpm file is generated by WorldEdit when you save the map, and has no affect on loading it.

So I should just throw an edited Terrain.slk file in my Warcraft 3 folder (in some dummy folder called "TerrainArt", I guess), and it'll overwrite the MPQ one?
As long as the path from the install directory matches that of the path inside the MPQ then it should work. If you modified your MPQs you will either need to repair the install (I think running the updater now does this) or reinstall the game.

Level 5
No it will not work for them, not like it matters though since they will not be loading and saving the map in the editor.

So basically yes; it will work (i.e. the rocks will be unpathable) when other people play it?

As long as the path from the install directory matches that of the path inside the MPQ then it should work. If you modified your MPQs you will either need to repair the install (I think running the updater now does this) or reinstall the game.

I think it's okay, I used the MPQ editor to "Verify Game Files", and it reset the Terrain.slk to standard.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
So basically yes; it will work (i.e. the rocks will be unpathable) when other people play it?
I already answered that...
I think it's okay, I used the MPQ editor to "Verify Game Files", and it reset the Terrain.slk to standard.
As far as I am aware third party MPQ editors cannot restore changes made to the main MPQ files like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.