• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modern Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Think about the story of Adam and Eve for a second (no, i don't believe in it, i just think it's a nice metaphor): An age of bliss and prosperity ended because of an apple. An apple that someone took a bite of.

Here is the logo of the company that sold the first computer:

apple-logo.jpg

I don't believe in the conspiracy shit that is served daily on the internet, but this makes me wonder if modern technology will be the cause of an apocalypse, or at least a change to the worse. There's about a thousand ways for technology to screw up mankind. Not now, but as the advancement continues, the possibilities open.

Not, I'm not saying that modern technology will kill us all. I just want to know what you think. Many cultures ended in their peak, and ours can and probably will too.

Level 12
Nah, i just thought about the apple thing. I'm not necessarily talking about a Terminator - styled apocalypse.

Technology might advance so much that society stops having social lives, and start satisfying all their needs with technology. This one's practically started already.

Technology might advance so much that if it one day crashes, people are so addicted and in need of it that they are completely incompetent to do anything without it.

Technology might kill us all, I'm talking about the advancement of weaponry.

Technology might go wrong and kill us all, I'm talking about something like the new atom smasher. No, that one will not kill us, but similar experiments could go wrong.

That's four out of about one hundred.

Level 27
Technology might advance so much that society stops having social lives, and start satisfying all their needs with technology. This one's practically started already.
I deem this impossible. People are social creatures, most of us need other people.
Technology might advance so much that if it one day crashes,
The entirety of technology does not simply crash.
people are so addicted and in need of it that they are completely incompetent to do anything without it.
They'll learn fast.
Technology might kill us all, I'm talking about the advancement of weaponry.
Notice how we've had nukes for 60 years and haven't used them in war?
Yeah, that's because we know that it's a suicide move.
Technology might go wrong and kill us all, I'm talking about something like the new atom smasher. No, that one will not kill us, but similar experiments could go wrong.
If an unimaginably small piece of subatomic energy were able to destroy us all, don't you think it would have happened already?
I like technology as it is, if it kills us, it shouldn't be for a long time down the road, so I don't really care :p
You lazy bastard. I bet you'll change your tune when you have kids and they complain to you about the crappy world you're giving them.

This isn't one we can help our children with, so you get a pass for now. :p

Level 12
I stopped watching I, Robot when they crammed the 20th commercial down my throat. So no, didn't watch it.

And Hakeem, what i said is technically possible. The odds are small, but you can't prove that it won't happen.

Anyway, i don't think it will happen, the point of this thread is to see if people consider modern technology as a possible cause of a downfall.

Level 35
I don't beleive modern technology will end us. Not literally at least. Soon, the struggle for minerals, oil and water will begin and people will be slaughtering each other with these ultra-modern and unnaturally overpowerful weapons.

AI won't end us either. Even if they develop it, I'm sure they'll find a way to keep it under control.

Level 6
Humans where, well, let's say gifted with brains and used it for egoistic reasons really... I wonder how many americans know how much of Lead they have in the air of major cities because of the greedy bastards (don't remember the year really, but I think that was '50 maybe) that sold cars (knowing about it) that spitted out lead....

Level 5
I agree with whoever said that tech isn't going to have time to destroy us, that we'll run out of resources and start killing each other before that happens.

Nah, you cant say that for sure. With that new particle accelerator, who knows we might even find a new power source, that may be near infinite.

Status
Not open for further replies.