• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Moderators commenting resource

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, well it is simple, I dont think moderators should say just for excample approved and not rate it and give no comments. I will not name moderator(s), but when I see on model just approved with no rating or commenting that is just so bad, I rly think they should not be moderators if they are lazy to do that. I am not thinking only about things what I create(they are mosty commented) I think about things what other people make, rly I get dissapointed when I see to some map get just approved, that is rly bad thing from moderators.

Mainly I created this thread to some modarators change their work, what u think.

Interesting that you did not even care to check for various comments of users posted in the maps submission threads that you are obviously referring to.
Either Orcnet himself or various other users provided a proper review of the respective maps, there is absolutely no need to copypaste these again in the moderation text. Orcnet, for example, even stated continuously to view those comments.

We have been over the moderation rating system a couple of times already, so I will definitely not bother to discuss this again. You can just read the respective thread here in SD.

Orcnet has recently been promoted, cut him some slack. He will grow into his role as time passes by.

Chaosy said:
you still didn't answer the question? I also think its weird the it says "approved" with 0 rating and no comment
Vengeancekael said:
We will of course, once we're done with this long process, rate maps.
Uh, that's your answer. It is a longer process that has been split to moderate submissions that have been pending for a long period of time.
Ratings and comments will be applied once the Map Moderators have acquired the additional time they need for this, by fast-processing submissions first.

Level 18
As always there is a huge amount of maps to be handled with, so the easier thing is to process them by approving and denying without reviewing them, and when the section gets cleared the maps can start to be reviewed.

There are always users leaving useful comments for you. I don't think you should take the position of map moderators, or any other moderators for granted, it's a hard thing to do, especially in the map sections where the process of reviewing the map takes the longest.

Level 30
and so far hate job by Orcnet, so far I have not seen some map by him commented or rated(so far)

seriously?
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/1-1-6a-ai-v3a-arena-fame-225290/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/warcraft-legends-part-one-225620/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/allods-225536/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/chaos-arena-v-1-1b-220176/?prev=r=20&page=2

should I accompany you more of my ratings? or how about my non-moderation days, I'd show you some of my sample:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/terran-base-defence-v32-224459/?prev=r=20&page=3
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/harvest-v1-0-a-224814/?prev=r=20&page=3
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/eye-dalaran-223828/?prev=r=20&page=3

even the time I was not promoted, I already have selflessly rate and help users on the pending map section that most of my fellow map raters has grew old and left a few of us to help the map community, if you think all of my work does not have any ratings on each resources, its mainly because I am the only first one who downloaded the map and test it out by myself, which probably their are now other users who are now rating them, oh and for the record if you look closely on some not rated maps, I always leave a comment considering new changes to be made for their updates and what things to avoid.

looks like your on the wrong side of the page mister, but if you still think my moderation is not at best, then I would bravely step down my role but not today, not tomorrow only until I finish the job

I used to spend hours and hours checking maps, and I mean checking, deprotecting protected ones, extracting script, exploring object editor and more. Just so I can really see what maker wanted to do, how he did that and what was problem in future development.
For example if coding was bad, I used to pointed out bad triggers, and suggested how to fix them.
But sometimes even such testing can't give you answer to map rating... It's just complicated.

To continue, everything was great, nice and awesome. But...

I quickly found out that map makers ignored suggestions, sometimes even raged and flamed me for doing so. When you spend 30 min checking map and another 20 min writing 20/30/40 lines of text to help someone and he don't even give fuck about it, it start to hurt.

Today there are like 5 maps uploaded per day, that's 35 per week, just 1 or 2 are good enough, just 2 or 3 authors will actually like to see criticism. It's useless to spam maps with comments like "Cool 5/5, you rock!". Those users will contact moderators, those users will fight for their resource and keep working, keep improving it, those users as worth our time. User who came here, upload map and never again come to see what even happened to it, don't worth my, yours, attention of anyone here. His map if good will be approved, if bad rejected and that's it.

Hive isn't company, everything here is done because someone wanted to contribute and help, share knowledge.
If you don't like how it look like, write review yourself, copy paste cool comments, and share them with moderator, he will gladly hear you out, I know that, and maybe even (if good) accept your help.

Moderators can't always provide a good review. For example, who here has enough experience to review a Slide map ? Afaik, only 2 peoples on the hive : Me and Temperature.
I respect the fact that both Vkael and Orcnet approved the slide maps i posted while only saying "Approved", as they can't give a nice review of the maps. I'm not saying that they're bad moderators or such, but i.e. a review for an AoS and a melee-map is very different and each moderator has a preferred kind of maps for reviews. Those who are experienced with AoS provide a better review on AoS maps, same goes for Melee and every other map kind.
I.e. i could do a review for a slide map because i played these during more than 1 year and also know the different technics used and their advantages/disadvantages. But if you ask me to review a melee map, i can't since i played melee games only a few times in my life.
Nobody is perfect, even moderators. You can't expect them to always give a good review.

Level 6
Well seriously Hammerfist, if you have wandered long enough in the maps section a long time ago (yes I do wander :D) Orcnet gives a VERY DETAILED REVIEW on some maps, even making some table of some sort and also the moderators sometimes refer their rating to orcnet's review in the time when he is still not a moderator.

Also, orcnet still gives review when he approves the map, sometimes he qoutes someones suggestion/review or state it in his comment

Dude I think you need some observing skills... Really...

Orcknet so sry, I fell rly big guilty xD. I have read some posts and most of them say that u were giving rly detailed comments when u were not moderator. Point is most of map what I have checked when u are moderator they have no comment(most what I have checkedd), and I am talking only when u are moderator, not when u were not, this thread is for moderators.

Level 28
^
The main reason why he can't give enough details for the review is because, writing a review takes time (10-30 mins if you want to be detailed) and the playing the maps will takes hours to check the game mechanics.

Hope you know that when he become a moderator he now took the job of reviewing all of the pending maps not like when is still not a moderator that he can just pick 2-3 maps and make them a detailed review.

Though I understand what you're complaining about, but remember he is not getting paid for doing his job here.

Vlad, I don't think he was critizising our review quality :p
Besides, map mods are supposed to review any type of map, should it be requested. But yes, there certainly are preferences some mods have. (<3 cinematics)

Anyway, yes I know, it's always better to see a moderator rating and review, because they're the most reliable source of information and suggestions and people usually look at a map's mod rating to see if they should play it. A 5/5 rating certainly is better than no rating and that is something we will try to improve upon as soon as the pending maps are purged and we're all less busy.

Vlad, I don't think he was critizising our review quality :p
Besides, map mods are supposed to review any type of map, should it be requested. But yes, there certainly are preferences some mods have. (<3 cinematics)

Anyway, yes I know, it's always better to see a moderator rating and review, because they're the most reliable source of information and suggestions and people usually look at a map's mod rating to see if they should play it. A 5/5 rating certainly is better than no rating and that is something we will try to improve upon as soon as the pending maps are purged and we're all less busy.
I dont think moderators should say just for excample approved and not rate it and give no comments. I will not name moderator(s), but when I see on model just approved with no rating or commenting that is just so bad, I rly think they should not be moderators if they are lazy to do that.
I understood he were also critizising the lack of review ^^" But anyway you still need a decent review to do the rating, else the rating means nothing cause it's not justificated.

Yes, they are supposed to review any type of map, but they can't review all the types of map x)

Level 30
Orcknet so sry, I fell rly big guilty xD. I have read some posts and most of them say that u were giving rly detailed comments when u were not moderator. Point is most of map what I have checked when u are moderator they have no comment(most what I have checkedd), and I am talking only when u are moderator, not when u were not, this thread is for moderators.

I can understand and I can renew my handling of resources, but you should have just gave me a vm so none of this could have happen, also I don't want to see anymore of the comments that mostly blame us the mod staff about our work, remember we do have reasons why we rate resources that way. so I guess this discussion is now settled

Orcnet said:
(...) none of this could have happen (...)
I don't see how this discussion has been negative, in any way.

Orcnet said:
(...) remember we do have reasons why we rate resources that way (...)
I just wanted to respond with something similar a few minutes ago, but decided against it.
Why? Because this topic has become rather tiresome, in my eyes.
People should know that they can trust the moderations we provide.
Moderator ratings are and have always been justified, whether explicit reasons have been provided or not.

If we look at the MS as our example of choice:
I agree that providing reasons for ratings is rather important here, as maps are on a different "resource level".
People depend on given feedback and reviews to decide whether they want to play a map or not.
However, I don't see how actual moderator ratings influence that. They shouldn't.
Hence a simple "rejected - approved - Director's Cut" rating system would be sufficient, but we have already been over this before.

Well then, it has been clarified that reviews are either already existent, or they shall come in time.

So remember:

Patience is a virtue.

Status
Not open for further replies.