• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest Brainstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Well I want to host the Hive's first official modeling contest (or so I believe.)

As such, I need ideas for what you guys want to see in the contest.

So far, the options I know of would be to have either:

A. A theme, such as "Model a critter." This leaves much to your imagination, you can make something unique how you want it to be. Though this might make it more difficult to determine who has the better skills.

B. A concept. I find one of my talented friends, and force him/her to make me a nice concept. Then you guys would, based on this concept, make your own model of it. And it can be your own interpretation of his concept, take it however you want, but of course this option means you do have to keep it at least similar to the concept at hand. This could even be a choice of 3 or so concepts, leaving more choice and creativity, but then you would be judged more closely to accuracy with the concept.

Criteria will be discussed later.

And my wish is that for this, since it would be the first, and probably not have too many entrants, I think making a model, non textured or animated, would be enough.

So perhaps for your final submissions, you could present a wireframe shot, a render, and a posed shot of your model however you like.

I really want to make this happen, it seems like a fun idea. If you're interested, at least say so. If i get more than 5 interested people, I'll make it happen.

Your thoughts?

Level 8
naa critters are more about texturing then anything most of them are just blobs with decent textures lol. How about something based off of the warcraft 3 races like Siege engines, temples, or something like that.

Another thing would just be some kind of structure in general. not just a regular old building though something illabrit.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Critter was an example. A better one would be "Model a siege weapon"

Then someone might make a Trebuchet, and another one a modern Tank.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Then you're just asking for people to start looking at armor concepts from WoW, and then all creativity is lost.

This is why I think a Concept would be the better choice. Or a few concepts to choose from.

Level 2
If you do in fact go with critters or some other monster I think you will get the best results...
You may get better results if you make the contest to model some sort of artillery unit, or some sort of close combat unit.

I think that will leave the category broad enough to actually get people to join, and also give a small enough group to actually judge them.
If you do the concept path, i think it will have to be a Great concept to get enough people. However more people do like to model to concepts since its easier.

My choice would be theme. Let’s say, close combat unit.

Any which way you can count me in.

Level 2
I say no to that since it does not allow for any creativity its just repeating the same old boring shit.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I see themes are a popular idea.

Okay then, list your 3 favorite ideas, and I'll take the best ones, or most popular, and make a poll out of them. The winning one will be the theme of the contest.

Deal?

Level 2
Leave it as a broad category of. Like A sea unit, light ranged unit, or a heavy artillery unit. Or a scene composing of all custom objects made by you.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Well here's my own suggestion, I just say a race from the Warcraft universe, most likely one that isn't as developed yet in the game (gnome, goblin, pandaren etc etc.)

And then your task is to come up with an interesting type of unit of that race to make, such as a Pandaren poleman or something, where it's a Pandaren with a bamboo pole as a weapon.

This would also mean that, if you finish the complete model, that it would widen the amount of useful resources for these underdeveloped races.

If this was mentioned before and I failed to see it, sorry, I'm a lazy man.

Level 2
I like it

i kinda like your idea there wolf ill try na dhelp you im new to this modeling thing as you can see in my forum i posted i need help.......but anyways i think your contset sounds really cool ill try and get me tft homies like limiter and tylerbelan to enter it if i can get em to lol well anyways nice thinking and if you got time plz reply to my forum peace.

Level 8
Well here's my own suggestion, I just say a race from the Warcraft universe, most likely one that isn't as developed yet in the game (gnome, goblin, pandaren etc etc.)

And then your task is to come up with an interesting type of unit of that race to make, such as a Pandaren poleman or something, where it's a Pandaren with a bamboo pole as a weapon.

This would also mean that, if you finish the complete model, that it would widen the amount of useful resources for these underdeveloped races.

If this was mentioned before and I failed to see it, sorry, I'm a lazy man.

We can go with that and still clasify its role to lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.