• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #35 - Theme Poll

Vote only if you plan to participate

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Let's discuss the theme to be used in the next Modeling Contest.

Please, do not vote if you will not join or do not plan to join the contest.

• Abomination: Create a model sewn together from many components.
  • Dystopian: A new model, or a known model's counterpart, from a world gone wrong.
  • Melee Rework: Reimagine one of the existing melee heroes.
  • Metamorphosis: A hero model with an ultimate form.
  • Mythical: Create a model drawn from mythology.
  • Prime: Create a substantial upgrade of a default unit.
  • Siege: A model that revolves around dealing with structures.
  • Tier 1 Unit: A model suitable for a tier 1 unit from any race.
  • Giants: Element-based giants, forest giants, human giants, statues, and fattened creatures.
  • Lovecraftian: Models that are wiggly, tentacly, bulbous and pulpy, all with the grossness of slime and the absence of red blood and gore.
  • Infection: Create a unit or structure designed to infect the unknowing masses.
  • Technomagic: Create a unit or structure that has both magical and mechanical elements.
  • Troll: Create a model related to Trolls.

Last edited:
Level 51
A lot of good and open themes, which I like.

I am against things like Tier 1 Unit, as they do restrict you quite a bit, which only limits potential joinees more.

My vote was for:

• Metamorphosis (although this one is tricky because it increases the workload quite a bit, thus again, increasing the stress for contestants)
  • Lovecraftian: Very wide theme which is very realistically anchored in wc3 with Old Gods and the Faceless ones, Naga etc.
  • Technomagic: Also very wide theme which lots of room for creativity, also very nicely anchored in wc3 through Draenei, Gnomes, Dwarfs, Bloodelves etc.

Level 48
I am against things like Tier 1 Unit, as they do restrict you quite a bit, which only limits potential joinees more.
Surprised to hear you say that! I feel like T1 unit is one of the least restrictive themes out there, the possibilities are endless, from zerglings and marines to footmen to archers to ogre stone-throwers. :)

I feel like some of those themes are repeats tbh. Also, did you come up with those themes Riki or did you ask a bunch of modelers? I figure most modeling contests in the past were amalgams of ideas posited by potential participants, and I quite like that way of doing things, to be honest.

Level 51
Surprised to hear you say that! I feel like T1 unit is one of the least restrictive themes out there, the possibilities are endless, from zerglings and marines to footmen to archers to ogre stone-throwers. :)

Yes, but it has to be rather low-poly and un-detailed, Achieving that effect is rather difficult and is not everybodies cup of tea.

Level 27
I feel like some of those themes are repeats tbh. Also, did you come up with those themes Riki or did you ask a bunch of modelers? I figure most modeling contests in the past were amalgams of ideas posited by potential participants, and I quite like that way of doing things, to be honest.
Those themes are recopilations of the most voted ideas from previous polls. However guys, if you think a discussion might be better to help gather other ideas, then we can close this poll and open a new thread for it.

EDIT:
Added "Troll" at Mythic's suggestion.

Last edited:
Level 48
Those themes are recopilations of the most voted ideas from previous polls. However guys, if you think a discussion might be better to help gather other ideas, then we can close this poll and open a new thread for it.

EDIT:
Added "Troll" at Mythic's suggestion.
I know that some of (us potential entrants) already discussed this among ourselves. :D

This poll is good enough since it allows one to change your vote.

In the future though I think it's best if a poll is not opened without some kind of message to potential entrants or other relevant mods, like, "hey, I wanna start the poll for this contest, what do y'all think of these options and this time for a new contest". The thing with just re-using the old suggestions is that people (and vibes) change over time and what was popular back then is not necessarily what people want to do now. Plus, new ideas appear over time and that will not be reflected if we keep rehashing the same ~10 themes that someone suggested 5 contests ago. :D

@PROXY @The_Silent @Stefan.K Please note the new option & the fact that you can change your vote!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
how about a paired modeling contest? it kinda would allow more people to participate I think
It comes with pros & cons. One of the big problems is that a team has twice as many failure points (i.e. people) as a single person does; it's twice as likely that When (not if) something goes wrong, the whole team gets dragged down.

That being said, I love Teamed Contests. They have upsides as well.

Level 51
It comes with pros & cons. One of the big problems is that a team has twice as many failure points (i.e. people) as a single person does; it's twice as likely that When (not if) something goes wrong, the whole team gets dragged down.

That being said, I love Teamed Contests. They have upsides as well.

Which still doesn't answer... why this isn't a thing yet :ogre_icwydt:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Alright so, how about this theme description:

Contestants must create a Troll model, an ugly creature that's typically found in either forests, swamps, mountains, under bridges, caves etc. Not necessarily the Troll race from Warcraft, but any creature related to trolls.

trolltheme-png.405497

Attachments

• trolltheme.png
    trolltheme.png
    716 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'll put my personal, non-mod, non-Contestant opinion forward that it should definitely be a Warcraft-3-styled Troll. Specifically a Jungle Troll, in fact xD

No but seriously, perhaps widen it out to include (Warcraft) Troll-related models: i.e. not just Troll heroes & units, but Troll structures, Troll wards, Troll doodads, Troll SFX, etc.

Level 51
Alright so, how about this theme description:

Contestants must create a Troll model, an ugly creature that's typically found in either forests, swamps, mountains, under bridges, caves etc. Not necessarily the Troll race from Warcraft, but any creature related to trolls.

trolltheme-png.405497

Great idea, I like it.

I'll put my personal, non-mod, non-Contestant opinion forward that it should definitely be a Warcraft-3-styled Troll. Specifically a Jungle Troll, in fact xD

No but seriously, perhaps widen it out to include (Warcraft) Troll-related models: i.e. not just Troll heroes & units, but Troll structures, Troll wards, Troll doodads, Troll SFX, etc.

It has to be common ground for judging. A doodad can not compete with a hero model, thats two totally different things.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
This can work thematically actually. Trolls (in the traditional fantasy sense) are typically paired with some kind of lair. So maybe we do a unit+building submission.

As for whether the troll in question is warcraft universe only or not: personally I'd prefer it if it were. But I can understand broadening the theme to attract more contestants. Besides, I feel like those of us who are really into the warcraft-type trolls will make it evident through their work regardless of the theme's range.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This can work thematically actually. Trolls (in the traditional fantasy sense) are typically paired with some kind of lair. So maybe we do a unit+building submission.

As for whether the troll in question is warcraft universe only or not: personally I'd prefer it if it were. But I can understand broadening the theme to attract more contestants. Besides, I feel like those of us who are really into the warcraft-type trolls will make it evident through their work regardless of the theme's range.
Is unit+building not too much to ask of contestants?

Level 48
I am also in favour of Warcraft trolls only. :hohum:

I'm also fairly certain we rarely ever had strict limitations on the type of unit being made. At the very least, units, heroes and buildings were always fair game (SFX, doodads and attachments less so).

The description should specify that those are SD models only.

Level 48
I would remove structure, IMO. It's too hard to compare to unit models. Structures/buildings have always been separate contest up until now. Otherwise it's great, thanks for the effort!
That's not true actually! Structures were never separate as far as I remember. There were many contests where people made structures while others made units/heroes. There might have been one or a few where 'structures' were the primary focus though. :thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.