• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling contest 24: THEME DECISION

Vote for a theme that YOU (as a modeler) would participate in for MC 24

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Creating a never seen before dungeon boss or creep. It does not need to be a geomerged female Diablo.

Diablo/DnD actually has 7 votes since two voters are not modelers. Am I right?

absolutely right.

also. since it seems the last 3 people have completely missed your comment

ONLY THE VOTES FROM CONFIRMED MODELLERS OR PAST MODEL CONTEST CONTESTANTS WILL BE COUNTED

------------------------------------------------
also. with the theme "diablo/dnd"
that is just an easy descriptor of the theme. in reality, any high fantasy character or creature will do. its just that people are idiots and we did not want to go the length to define fantasy. remember what happened in tank model contest?

I am voting for DnD/Diablo for the same reason as Deolrin stated - Just looking at the list of DnD creatures gives you so much inspiration. I also think that applies to the users who download our models, seeing stuff like that treasure pile turning into a golem kinda makes you want to jump straight into making a dungeon crawler map just do add theese cool units into it.

Besides, i feel like too many contests do nothing but produce useless crap. What good is a chess piece or a race car for anything else than just making chess or racing maps? Would anyone actually use theese models? And "emotaphor"? Nigga please.

Level 48
So, Diablo is leading with 8 votes, whereas Steampunk, Emotaphor and Racecars are all behind, with 7 votes. I think the fair thing to do would be to start a new poll and exclude the less popular themes, because DnD\Diablo is leading by only one vote. If the people who didn't vote for the popular themes would be allowed to re-chose their vote, the situation might look different.

...Or, alternatively, you could just start the damn contest already. :D

Level 26
I dont like these poll results. And I'm not saying that because "racecar lost". I'm saying it because it's too close.

racecar - 7
diablo/dnd - 8
steampunk - 7
emotaphor - 7

(mare and nedio95 are disqualified from the vote since they dont model)

diablo won, but only by 1 point... and that's 1 point over a 3-way 7 vote tie.
Im hesitant to use this theme because its hardly a definitive win.

So... what do you guys want to do? should i remake this poll? should i remake it with multiple choices? Do you all just want to tell me in the comments here what your 2nd choices are? Should I remove one or two of the themes? Or if you've voted, you can redact your vote

.... discuss

EDIT:
Also a quick tally of the voters who are actually active in the arena and it's modeling contests

Those in white have participated recently in modeling contests
Those in yellow have not participated recently in modeling contests
Those in red have never participated in modeling contests
Those in black are outright disqualified for never having no experience in modeling

racecar: 7
-Peper-, anarchianbedlam, eubz, Frankster, M0rbid, MassiveMaster, shamanyouranus

Diablo/DnD: 5
Fingolfin, ike_ike, Kuhneghetz, mare, nedio95,PROXY, Pyramidhe@d, Rao Dao Zao, skrab, Yayoi

steampunk: 3
Astaroth Zion, Mechanical Man, MiniMage, Red, RetroSexual, Revilo, Wandering Soul

emotaphor: 7
-Grendel, Deolrin, DonDustin, epsilon, HappyCockroach, SuPa-, Tirlititi

If any part of this list is inaccurate, please tell me, it probably is. If i put you as red or yellow its because i didnt see your name on the participant's list in a modeling contest within the last two years.
I think i last saw Kuhneghetz(aka danvanohluss) and yayoi in MC15 or something, which was in 2009.

and some modelers are red because they haven't been active in the MC arena.
Not quite sure how Pyra wants to define "confirmed modelers"
Some oddities to consider
Rao Dao Zao has participated in Modeling contests... but hasnt submitted any models to the model resource section
Red makes models and textures but hasnt made any animated models to submit to the model resource section
Astaroth Zion and minimage have made animated models and submitted them, but have yet to participate in a contest
fingolfin, like red, can make models and textures, but has yet to join a modeling contest

Last edited:
your list is about right i would think.

the solution now would be to cut out the worker units and the music units

and then give people multiple choice. to choose 2 out of the 4.

or we could do this manually, choose three themes and order them like they do in the elections. list 1 to 3 your fav candidates.

the first gets 3 points
the 2nd gets 2 points
the 3rd gets 1 point.

add them all up and then you get your points.

that is, if you can be bothered.

Bah, Anarchian, you are just trying to twist this into making racecar win xD
I'd say the "not having participated" argument is silly. Some time has gonna have to be the first for everyone. And apparently, even some of those who have participated earlier are not eligible to vote by your little graph.

Besides, i already got concepts ready for both D&D and Steampunk. :)

Level 26
Bah, Anarchian, you are just trying to twist this into making racecar win xD
I'd say the "not having participated" argument is silly. Some time has gonna have to be the first for everyone. And apparently, even some of those who have participated earlier are not eligible to vote by your little graph.

i said, "help me correct my list". And the point of this thread isnt to pick 'teh kewlest theme' and the point is not even to pick the theme that people like the most. the point is to pick the theme that will get the most participants

Last edited:
I'd say the "not having participated" argument is silly. Some time has gonna have to be the first for everyone.

first timers are also the most clueless to what actually goes to making a model. also why we get requests like
"a very small request. the whole list of characters from DBZ kthx"

this is the same reason why we do not let babies vote in real life.

And apparently, even some of those who have participated earlier are not eligible to vote by your little graph.
their votes were counted in.

--------
i would also like to think that anarchian's method of eliminating non-modellers from the vote is a good way to keep the opinions non-vested. for example, a member of the community might vote for a racecar because he needs some racecars in his map. his personal want(i emphasis "want" not "need") for a racecar has diluted the polls and rendered the rest of the voters, who are actual modellers, a little less important.

for example, we did have a modelling contest(dont remember which one) where a theme has won by a landslide. and yet within few pages on in the thread, realised almost no one around modelling for that thread was even interested in the theme.

Level 26
If you all want me to just make an executive decisions to override this tedious process
I think emotaphor is the best compromise.

DND/diablo fits the best into wc3, but it's also unimaginative and blah

steampunk and racecar can be really fun but dont really fit into wc3 that well

so... emotaphor can do both... you know, be fun, AND sort of fit into wc3, if that's what people want

Level 26
i like how when i ask people to mindlessly throw their opinions into a poll, everyone is balls deep. But when i ask people to do a little analytical thinking, it's suddenly a hell of a lot quieter. Am i to assume that supa, pyramidhead, fingolfin, skrab, happycock and myself are the only ones who will participate in this next contest?

Level 23
I hope to be able to participate aswell, given that my exams are coming up within the next weeks, I won't have that much time though. I guess the contest will last longer than my exams though. Given that, I can imagine participating in all themes with racecar as a slight favourite.

On a different note: I think Modelling themes should not be decided on wether a theme fits into wc3 or not. Since Modding is far more than adding more stuff to standard wc3, but I raised that point before... so yeah.

Level 48

I have a concept ready for Emotaphor, therefore I want it to win. It doesn't really work that way though. :(

I might or might not participate, depending on the theme that's chosen. I'm obviously fine with Anarchian's compromise of Emotaphor. I definitely do not want Steampunk, but DnD and Race Cars(assuming that making something like Blizzard's race cars is permitted) are both okay with me.

I correct: less eglible.
Less? did we do half votes?

And the people i was referring to were modelers. Not babies.
and i was referring to real life. as an analogy comparing babies to people with 0 experience in modeling. as seen, anarchian counted in the votes of anyone with ANY modelling skills, hence modellers. thus. modellers are not analogues to my comment "babies". people with no experience are.

Nevermind, i can participate in some other contest then.
i dont see why you have to pout about it. there is really nothing to be angry about.

although there is a relation between lust and this model, i'm not sure emotion metaphors go better that way...

would be cool if people did something more like the own materialisation of that emotion... like TDR's pain elemental, for instance...

pain_elemental_stand_2.gif

actually, prime matron might fit in as well... im just illustrating the theme

I didn't protest against him not counting the votes of non-modelers, i don't think anyone would argue with that. I don't see however, why he would sort modelers how recently they participated, or if all, unless he had some intention of diminishing their votes.

I don't want to make a fuss out of this. Just choose whatever theme you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.