• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 23 - RESULTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26

the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
contest.png

number.png
2.png
3.png
results.png
152290-albums921-picture56535.png
3-TIER BUILDING

[r]
Contestants are asked to model a 3-tier building.
A structure that can be 'upgraded' a minimum of
2 times. This does not mean that it has 2 alternate
upgrades, the upgrades must be "tiered".

judges.png

-MECHANICAL MAN-
-ANARCHIANBEDLAM-

Titiriti:
Mesh is okay, maybe it could be done with less polygons, but let's say it's not that over the limit. I believe you could do those round shapes with less faces. But I liked you went for more complex approach, even though that may bring more trouble working with it.
5/10

There are many issues with animations. First of all, build animation doesn't seem to work, it's just nothing, only a small sphere floating high in air which is hard to notice. Except I use cheats on building. Then death animation is too slow, I mean the building persists still several seconds with some weird effect without leaving any splat and sound. At least upgrade animations are interesting, but that is pretty much it. And no work animations.
3/10

Except the upper part with windows and such, rest of texturing is horrible. The grey part has impression like it doesn't even have a texture, like you forgot to add it and the other part abruptly changes into somthing else, but doesn't look good, it seems it some sort of covering, without any details and unwrap, both obsidian and the other are very bad. So bad that it even ruins some details done on the mesh.
2/10

Some time ago I wanted to do some sort of alchemist or lab building, but I had lack of ideas. This building finally gave me idea what could look like. I like small details on buildings, like you did those stairs from door to door, then those wire rails which lead to the upper part. Only problem is that you mixed too much styles, especially those with bad textures, which makes this model hard to figure what would actually represent. But at least the building doesn't contain much symmetry.
8/10

Although the concept of the model is interesting, is basically useless. As I already mentioned animation and textures issues, there is no foundation, which makes the building float on the cliff. The shape is a bit odd, it's better to keep it compact and round as possible, otherwise you should do at least custom pathing maps for it. It's too big too, it may not seem a big issue, as you can scale it in editor, but also things like rally point flags are scaled, making it look ugly. Also no sprite attachments for fire.
1/5

You made some new innovative effects, but you forgot the essential ones. Death explosion, dust or special effects which building, stand work animation, etc
2/5

eubz:
Quite simple mesh, there is nothing much to say. Building is small, I guess you didn't plan it for a townhall type building. Hard to point out and special issues, being so small and simple.
5/10

Animations are decent, but also simple, as the mesh. Interesting idea of the dome covering the building (energy, glass, what?), but slowly making it cover the building and then uncover it, isn't best idea, better to cover it rather quickly, making most of building progress undrneath it. Death animation could be done much better, but it seems that at least the sound is there. And it has work animation.
5/10

Since the mesh is already simple, there shouldn't be problems with textures. You could add more details with textures if you didn't with mesh.
6/10

Looks like some protoss-like race building, maybe useful for some futuristic maps, you may have had a precise concept in head, but the model is rather uninteresting, simple even for wc3 food buildings. No interesting details in it, just some sort of round altar with a (glass?) sphere. Too much symmetry overall.
4/10

Being so simple can be used more as food building, but at least this simplicity brings less bugs and problems, so the model can be used. However you should make foundations a bit bigger to make it stand well on uneven terrain.
4/5

There are very few effects and particles, but at least those really essential are done, but being a a sci-fi energy building, would obviously expect more flashy bits.
3/5

proxy:
Everything is rather boxy, although it features some interesting details, they are few and at symmetrical positions, which are rather predictable and makes them less interesting. The dragon is a refreshment though, even though it probably eats a lot of polygons. There is a lot of effort done on building planks which are in correct position relative to finished building parts.
7/10

Animations are quite standard, based on human birth mesh. Which is hardest to animate than others' three races. Nothing special, but well done to adapt for your building.
7/10

Texture looks well wrapped, nice texture used, except the founding looks rather odd and needing custom texture only for that dragon looks unnecessary. Yes, it's not big, but it's nicer to have only one file.
6/10

It has that chinese feeling, what is building based off, as it's pandaren's. But it lacks some more prominent details, it's rather boxy and symmetrical and there are no windows apparently (except those in the walls, which are hardly visible anyway). The courtyard looks rather empty until tier2, when the statue appears, still there could be more tier variation. Otherwise, well done and good choice of textures.
7/10

Fits well in warcraft, there are events and splats included, only the foundations are rather strange as already mentioned and too square for a warcraft building.
4/5

There are all effects that should be there, nothing more.
4/5

wandering soul:
Model is small and rather simple, but you managed to put a lot of stuff in it. Still they are mostly cnp. However this doesn't make it bad, especially you don't recycle stuff from previous tier, but you entirely replace it. And also build mesh is well done.
7/10

Except for the odd death animation, others were done very well, especially birth and upgrade with individual wall sections being replaced and the skeleton of roofs. But it lacks work animation.
8/10

Since the model is simple, there shouldn't be issues with textures, especially because it looks like the whole doodad models were picked. Orc base was well handled however.
6/10

It's clear that is going to be a building used for risk or other big sized map as villages to conquer or anything, which explains why is so small and not many interesting details. But it fulfills its role.
6/10

Blends well with other wc3 models, good high foundation to ensure no cliff will make it float. Only aforementioned death animation and lack of stand work animation are noticeable flaws, otherwise no problems with this model.
4/5

Hardly any particles visible, only in death there is some dust and fireplace particle is blowing too fast.
2/5

skrab:
Mesh finally looks different going through tiers. It contains a lot of nice details like stairs, lights but then the symmetry kinda kill half of them. Overall very well, although it has potential to have be more interesting.
8/10

Good adaptation of human building animations. Looks odd that you left the rubble, since after death the building remains walkable and you are able to walk through it unless using triggers or something. Good to see a waving flag.
10/10

Townhall textures fit well, maybe it becomes a bit monotone using the same scheme all over again.
8/10

It's not badly made, but it could be better. It's exactly symmetrical which makes it rather boring. It has some neat details to start with, but it ends them be quite generic and not so well connected.
5/10

The model works very well in wc3, although it's elongated structure could cause some strange pathing oddities, it would work better with custom pathing map. It follows wc3 standards however.
5/5

No outstanding particle systems, but the needed stuff is there.
4/5

morbid:
Similar to other smaller models. But this one is more innovative and is completely custom. Although since it's round has many mirrored parts.
6/10

Animations aren't particularly outstanding, mostly consisting of rotating various parts, however particles play a role in certain animations. Finally a model with tier dependent death.
8/10

It uses custom textures, which are very well made and fitting the model. Small size of the texture too.
10/10

Certainly it fits protoss, especially those on in sc2. Although starcraft buildings were never really interesting and this one it's a round symmetrical thing hard to figure what is anything for.
7/10

No problems with the model, but is rather small if it's not supposed to be a turret and it lacks attachments
4/5

Good work on particles in death animation, but it could use more particles in more animations.
5/5

massive master:
Hah, thats the whole city you did there. This comes with a price of more polygons and bigger models size, but it's worth it. Hard to complain anything about here.
10/10

Buildings of the castle are built separately, they don't just appear and that's good. Also the way it upgrades it's well done. However death is a bit weaker, mostly because of absence of splats and sounds, which would make it more impact. This is some sort of building that would produce something, so stand work should be present among others.
8/10

Everything is properly unwrapped and there is enough variation of texture to not make it boring.
10/10

Impressive how you managed to stuff everything in this relatively small building, even the tinies details. Only inhabitants are needed and then it's complete :D It reminds me of my models.
10/10

Fitting well into warcraft it's not that good that you may expect. The animations are good, but there are issues with selection, there should be a colision shape or something to be able to select clicking blank parts when building or courtyard section. The foundations needs to be higher to make it not float. And as I mentioned splats and sounds. Good thing that it contains all needed attachments.
3/5

A model where particles have no much impact, standard effects are present.
4/5

SKRAB: Human Garrison
-Points-
Scored
-Points-
Possible
MESH
This really is a great looking mesh. No wasted polys, no clipping, well defined. The detail is where it /needs/ to be. It even has a proper foundation. Each upgrade looks distinct from the others. This is good solid work and the styling fits seamlessly into wc3, which makes it /very/ useful.... Roof on upgrade2 looks ... wibbly wobbly though.
ANIMATIONS
The animations, like the mesh, are "solid". There's nothing particularly astounding about them, but they fit perfectly into the wc3 style. And I really love that you can see the rafters before the roof is put on, that is a great detail. My only gripe, if i had to find one, would be the decay animation. It seems like not a great deal of thought went into it, like you put into the rest of the model. It doesnt look like rubble, or like it was destroyed. It honestly just looks like a chunk of the building was cleanly sliced off.
UV/SKIN
The texture choice is spot on, not just using the stonework, but also the wood parts of the town hall texture very effectively. Great team color on the model and overall a pretty model to look at.
CREATIVITY
Hey, it's great that it fits so well into wc3. But that also means that you made a castle. for a building contest. The core of the idea is old as time, BUT you did take this worn out idea and make it your own. Clearly a different building from anything ingame.
MECHANICS
Overall it seems to work well enough. I did notice a problem with the "birth upgrade second" animation though. About 3/4 of the way through the animation, the middle of the building (the main hall) just disappears for the rest of the animation. You can see under the stairs and it looks unfinished.
EFFECTS
Not impressed brah. I see canned wc3 particles. gritty cottonball clouds of "fire" and "smoke" and "dust". But it all just looks like the same particle emitter, recolored.

-TOTAL-

M0RBID: Protoss Obelisk
-Points-
Scored
-Points-
Possible
MESH
I wouldnt say that this mesh is particularly "impressive". The mesh itself /is/ detailed, but you dont notice any of this detail because of the uv wrap and texture. Instead of letting the mesh define the shape, you defined everything with your texture. For example, the tapered ovals on the outside tips of the arms, you cant see that the mesh is inset and that the tapered ovals are beveled out, because the texture was UV wrapped flatly on top of it, so all you see are the lines that the texture defines, and none of the edges of the actual mesh. And the foundation... it was an afterthought, it looks completely stretched.
ANIMATIONS
The animations are basic, and dare i say, "uninspired"? It spins, it spins slowly, it spins marginally /less/ slowly, and that's about it. The birth animation is interesting, but then, it's just imitating blizzard's original protoss birth animation. The death animation is underwhelming and there is no real sense of accomplishment in the upgrade animations.
UV/SKIN
I genuinely commend you for making your own texture, few contestants bother. But that said, this could tweaked. The texture seems... dull. There's no contrast, saturation, vibrancy. It looks sterile. And then there's the issue i mentioned above about the texture's lines overwriting the lines that the mesh creates. AND, your texture is not optimized. I see a lot of blank space in there. And the wrap on it's base is misaligned, there is a visible seam cutting it into 4ths
CREATIVITY
It's a photon cannon, right? I cant say that this is any more original than skrab's. The core idea feels "used". The only thing unique about it, is the greeble on the skin of it.
MECHANICS
Everything seems to work fine ingame, the shadows on the bottom part of the top half of the center pillar... is reversed. But otherwise nothing wrong.
EFFECTS
Not impressive. It appears in a blue glow and disappears in a blue puff. The 'ghosting' effect at the birth as it materializes, looks great. But doing that for the death animation too? Doesnt make sense. How would bullets, or fire, or fists make a building just... turn blue and then invisible? No sense of destruction or finality to it.

-TOTAL-

MASSIVEMASTER: Castle
-Points-
Scored
-Points-
Possible
MESH
Your mesh is fantastic. So much detail, so much variety. Unfortunately, that much detail also means that the file is over 300KB. But aside from that, it really is a great looking model, with an actual sense of scale. All the upgrades look like effective improvements were made. Instead of just adding more towers, these additions seem... logical.
ANIMATIONS
The animations are nothing astounding, but they are effective. Chunks of building rise through the smoke, and then chunks of building fall down into smoke for the build and death animations. I'm a bit curious as to why some stone structures seem to expand like balloons in a few of the upgrade animations though.
UV/SKIN
The wrap is great, Good use of all parts of your textures and there is a great deal of variety in colors and pattern in the wrap. Lots of team color, which is always great. Sometimes when people try to create geometrically complex models, they get lost in poor repetitive wraps, but youve done a great job of separating each building and each piece distinctly.
CREATIVITY
And again, an idea from medieval times. But, you have certainly breathed new life into this tired old concept. Lots of detail and thought went into designing this, and it shows.
MECHANICS
Everything seems to work ingame and i dont see any problems.
EFFECTS
The effects are basic, uninteresting. No fire in the death animation, no sparks or rubble or spinning boards or ... any sense of destruction to it. I just see smoke, more smoke, and a tiny trickle of smoke between the smoke of smoking smoke.

-TOTAL-

PROXY: Panderan Temple
-Points-
Scored
-Points-
Possible
MESH
Your mesh is uninspired. Simple stacked "house shapes" on top of eachother and a square wall. It's like you spent all of your time and effort making this cool little dragon for the center of the dojo, and everything else was an afterthought. There upgrades are hardly distinct from one another.
ANIMATIONS
The animations arent just "basic" they look like the smallest amount of effort went into them. I see scaffolding for when the building is being built, but no moving band saws like in all of the wc3 build animations. The entire building, as one geoset simply floats up from the ground. The flag doesnt move (i guess it was carved out of wood). The death animation is a joke.
UV/SKIN
And again, I would describe the UV wrap as "lazy". Parts of the roof on the side walls are stretched. The stone texture is mirrored and stretched and it all looks very strange. The floor looks deformed and has a visible seam. There is very little teamcolor.
CREATIVITY
Well, it's not a castle, so congrats on that. But as far as 'dojos' go... this seems really basic. The dragon statue is a really neat detail, but everything else is so boring. You havent really expanded upon or added to your initial concept.
MECHANICS
It works ingame for the most part. You're missing a keyframe on the birth upgrade first though, so when it plays the build animation, that top chunk of the tower sinks back into itself. And for some reason the building moves up in the stand work animations but then sinks back down a bit for the stand animations.
EFFECTS
A paltry array of effects. All i see are different shades of orange smoke.

-TOTAL-

EUBZ: Citadel
-Points-
Scored
-Points-
Possible
MESH
This mesh, bluntly put, is awful. It's uninteresting and deformed. It's a snow globe with a blurry texture. It's simple and blocky and it doesnt seem like you put any effort or thought into making an interesting model.
ANIMATIONS
The animations are sloppy. I wish there was more to say... but there isnt.
UV/SKIN
The wrap is stretched and misaligned
CREATIVITY
Im not entirely sure /if/ it's creative because i cant tell /what/ it is suppose to be. You called it a "citadel" it looks like a snow globe and it functions about as well as a tool shed made out of cheese.
MECHANICS
It "works" ingame, but... that doesnt mean it looks /good/ ingame
EFFECTS
Not a single particle emitter, and the one effect it does have... is the Rune1 texture falling on top of the globe.

-TOTAL-

WANDERING_SOUL: City of Townsville
-Points-
Scored
-Points-
Possible
MESH
Your mesh is simple and repetitive. 3 of the same building, 6 sides of the same wall. 7 of the same lamp. No portcullis. No towers on the wall or ladders to the walkway, it's all so simple and boring. The overhead shape of the wall looks deformed and the stairs in front of the opening of the wall seem sure stretched. In the first upgrade you added a big stone wall, but in the second upgrade... not a whole lot changes. A few aesthetic changes, but nothing structurally diverse.
ANIMATIONS
BORING, LAZY. The entire thing rises and falls. It's all the same animation over and over again. There isnt even smoke on the birth or upgrade animations. The hammer moving around is ... kind of neat, but it's just one hammer, magically flying around whacking the air until a wall sprouts from the dirt or a building grows taller.
UV/SKIN
There are no real problems with the UV wrap itself. The model suffers more from the bare, simple mesh. There is so little /to/ wrap and so little variation in the wrap, that... again, its monotonous
CREATIVITY
It's... a castle, but not quite. You're using the townhall texture, but it's not a regular wc3-esq conglomerate of towers and brick. So... it /had/ potential. But all i see is 3 of the same building inside of a simple wall. snore.
MECHANICS
For a moment there, the model didnt seem to work ingame. But for some reason I had to reload World Editor twice to get the model to work. I've never seen that happen with another model and I wonder if it could be part of a larger glitch
EFFECTS
You put an 8x8 texture into a 4x4 format, so theres a 2x2 grid of orange cloud where your lamps are. Other than that i see a trickle of dust particles and it's all very underwhelming

-TOTAL-

TIRLITITI: Black Tower
-Points-
Scored
-Points-
Possible
MESH
At first glance, this model looks horrendous. But then when you study it a bit, that's just because of the horrendous UV wrap and textures. The mesh itself is actually detailed and could be quite interesting to look at if it were given even halfway decent textures. It has lots of interesting shapes. It's a bit high poly for wc3, but it had potential.
ANIMATIONS
The animations arent entirely great. BUT they are incredibly /ambitious/. I absolutely love the "birth upgrade second" animation where the spiral gazebo appears. That is fucking incredible. And the little winged... thing that opens in wings and the stairs the come out in the "birth upgrade first" animation. It has great detail and you were clearly ambitious in your animations. It just didnt... completely come together.
UV/SKIN
This is what completely destroyed this model. Solid flat textures slapped onto complex mesh. The only pieces that are wrapped somewhat properly are the windows and door. Everything else is just an absolute mess. It's a shame, because this model really could have been something useable, good even, if only for decent textures and wrap.
CREATIVITY
Despite the outcome of your finished product. It /IS/ creative. The spiral gazebo animation, the little bird thing on the door, the domed shape of the structure. It's certainly not a boring castle. The texture choice isnt that creative though.
MECHANICS
The building isnt destroyed on the death animation and there's no decay animation. It doesnt entirely work ingame and it really doesnt fit ingame. The model is scaled too large and if it were scaled down, the demon portal doodad would envelope the entire thing.
EFFECTS
The effects are inspired. Lightning and sparkles and lots of variety. The death animation particles are pretty rough, but again, i see lots of effort and ambition. The demon portal doodad looks great inside the door. BUT because you had to make the entire model so goddamn huge to accommodate that doodad inside of your model, it makes you model completely impractical.

-TOTAL-

MATH

MASSIVE MASTER
{(87+90/200) x 60} + {(23/59) x 40} = 68.69

SKRAB
{(80+79/200) x 60} + {(8/59) x 40} = 53.72

M0RBID & REVILO
{(70+79/200) x 60} + {(13/59) x 40} = 53.51

PROXY
{(40+71/200) x 60}+{(9/59) x 40} = 39.4

WANDERING SOUL
{(38+66/200) x 60}+{(3/59) x 40} = 33.23

EUBZ
{(29+56/200) x 60}+{(2/59) x 40} = 26.86

TIRLITITI
{(42+43/200) x 60}+{(1/59) x 40} = 26.18

Participant
Entry
Wandering Soul
Village-Town-City
Revilo & M0rbid
ProtossObelisk
Massivemaster
Medieval Castle
Eubz
Citadel
skrab
Human Garrison
Tirlititi
BlackTower
PROXY
PandarenTemple

152290-albums5657-picture58968.png

POLL | CONTEST

Last edited:
Congrats to MASSIVE MASTER and all the other participants. It's a fair judgement at least for my concern.

Though, I didn't understand some of your points (sorry to review your judgement but if the model bugs on other computers and not on mine, that's a problem ^^) :
Mechanical Man said:
otherwise you should do at least custom pathing maps for it
But I did that !

anarchianbedlam said:
The model is scaled too large and if it were scaled down, the demon portal doodad would envelope the entire thing.
I don't get it. I scaled the attachment and it shouldn't be a problem at all. Rescaling the model makes my custom path unusable, though... The dimension was meant to allow an unit to walk on it (even if it's true it's a bit too high).

anarchianbedlam said:
The building isnt destroyed on the death animation and there's no decay animation.
There should be a decay animation that just hide the model and can be used in association with the death animations. I made it separated just because of the contest requirement but I'll eventually mix them.
EDIT: I just thought : you may have wanted to say that the "Decay" animation wasn't a real animation and that I didn't push myself to make it. If that's so, then ignore this comment ^^.

I didn't think about the foundation... I'm willing to work back on this model before posting it in the model section when I have time and motivation.

Last edited:
Level 26
Congrats to MASSIVE MASTER and all the other participants. It's a fair judgement at least for my concern.

Though, I didn't understand some of your points (sorry to review your judgement but if the model bugs on other computers and not on mine, that's a problem ^^) :

But I did that !

I don't get it. I scaled the attachment and it shouldn't be a problem at all. Rescaling the model makes my custom path unusable, though... The dimension was meant to allow an unit to walk on it (even if it's true it's a bit too high).

There should be a decay animation that just hide the model and can be used in association with the death animations. I made it separated just because of the contest requirement but I'll eventually mix them.
EDIT: I just thought : you may have wanted to say that the "Decay" animation wasn't a real animation and that I didn't push myself to make it. If that's so, then ignore this comment ^^.

I didn't think about the foundation... I'm willing to work back on this model before posting it in the model section when I have time and motivation.

Please keep modeling trilititi. You have something that a lot of modelers here lack. ambition. With a little more practice you could make some amazing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.