• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Competition #10 POLL

Which Elemental will be Victorious?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
The Hive Workshop

Modeling Competition #10 Poll

As the Modeling Competition #10 comes to a close, a victor must be decided! Whom of the six contestants created the best Elemental?
Please read through the rules before voting!
  • Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You can not vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You can not create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
Ready, set, vote!
--donut3.5--

Level 26
First of all I want to congratulate everyone who created a model for this competition because all of them are very good.

Some short opinion about each of the models:

WILLTHEALMIGHTY's Ancient Turtle: Fits very well the ancient and nightelf theme and the anims were good chosen. The particles are also awesome. The only thing I don´t like that much about it is that it looks quite similar to the Ancient of Wonders, but it looks very cute :)

Dionesiist's Fire Elemental: Fits well the elemental-with-armor theme and has the typical dio texture style.But in my opinion there is a bit too much armor and less fire elemental. But the model itself has a good quality.

PyramidHe@d's Glacial Destroyer:I really like this model because of its animations. But it looks more like a boss than like an elemental to me altough it has the ice theme. But this is a nice model too.

Burning_Dragoon5's Ice Elemental: Another elemental with the ice theme. What I liked about this model is how the team color was placed and that it fits very well into the warcraft style. The animations are also well created. What I do not like that much are the particles that could have been better.

Jigrael's Lightning Elemental: this model could be the brother of the Firelord. The theme is well executed and the textures are very nice aswell, just like the animations. But the helmet looks depending on the tc a bit unfitting.

Illidan(Evil)X's Fire Elemental: The last model that was submitted in time. What I like is that you added some icons to the models.This model also fits it´s them very well and is even original,because it is not just a normal elemental but a fire dragon.The animations are all very nice and the texture is good too. And it´s very cute like WILL´s turtle :)

All in all: my favourite model is Illidan(Evil)X's Fire Elemental and it gets my vote.

WILLTHEALMIGHTY's Ancient Turtle: It's a very creative and an original idea. But it doesn't seem to fit the theme as much as I'd like it to. Aside from that it's quite simple.

Dionesiist's Fire Elemental:
Dionesiist takes the cake for creativity. It's a totally unique concept for the Fire Elemental. Though I find the shape and texture a bit odd, the texture not so much, I think the particles and animations are just perfect. Kudos to you.

Pyramidhe@d's Glacial Destroyer:
I love the animations, and the idea is just wonderful. You portrayed this model perfectly. But I don't like the general shape of the mesh and the appearance of the texture. It just seems a bit primitive. Otherwise you did quite well. Unfortunately you wont be getting my vote.

Burning_Dragoon5's Ice Elemental:
Everything is generally nice, but I feel as if you just copied a similar shape over and over again with the same texture/UV and just slightly changes them to fit better in their place.

Jigrael's Lightning Elemental:
I see nothing wrong with this model whatsoever, your skill is outstanding. Unfortunately you will be getting plenty of votes without me and I feel that the others deserve a chance to place that is as great as yours.

Illidan(Evil)X's Fire Elemental:
The mesh is wonderful and the reality in the animations is great. Though I think you could've done some more easing. One major concern of mine is some of the scaling/proportions. If the head and feet were a tad smaller it would make the dragon seem more immense and bulky. Aside from that the texture is a real put down for me.

Everyone did great. I'm really happy with some of the results from this contest.

Level 14
Hawking said:
Unfortunately you will be getting plenty of votes without me and I feel that the others deserve a chance to place that is as great as yours.
What a crappy reason to not vote for someone. Seriously, vote for what you think is the best, not whose self-esteem you want to boost.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no contest. Jigrael's model is unquestionably better for the WC3 environment than any of the others, which puts it a step above the rest no matter how you measure quality. Good entries and all, sure, but the best model is obvious for a landslide of reasons.

Level 9
WILLTHEALMIGHTY's Ancient Turtle: Quite good model. You showed another talent(besides of sfx making). Great use of particle emitters(I liked that when the turtle moves it makes dust). What I don't like is the texture you have chosen for the head - stone turtle with an wooden carapace. That's unnatural
Pyramidhe@d's Glacial Destroyer:
The most unique idea in the contest. Great animations(considering you made them from scratch). Your model is great for some badass Boss.
Dionesiist's Fire Elemental: Very good texturing on the armor. I think you should've made better particles(after all they are the heart of the model). Didn't like the lower part of the fire elemental(particles seemed to tremble). Overally good.
Burning_Dragoon5's Ice Elemental: A little choppy animations(some of the were good though). Some texture variety won't hurt.
Illidan(Evil)X's Fire Elemental: Outstanding model. Outstanding animations(you also put a sleep animation:grin:). Texturing and particles are also great.
Jigrael's Lightning Elemental: Your lightnings are awesome(never seen such effects in wc3). Model and animations are also great.

Here's my rank list:
6 - Burning_Dragoon5
5 - Dionesiist
4 - WILLTHEALMIGHTY
3 - Jigrael
2 - Pyramidhe@d
1 - Illidan(Evil)X

So ,my vote geos for Illidan(Evil)X. It was a hard decision. Pyramidhe@d's model was the most original one but animations won - this time.

I voted jig's.
Wonder how you made those lightning pseudo-ribbon on attack animation.It's so fast i can't tell if it just show/hide or if it's actually a trail.
ANd contrary to most of people I totaly love your very own lghtning textures.

I rly like Burningdragoon Ice elemental.Though bad choice of particle textures, I personaly would use dust3.blp with icy color and a bit larger.

Pyramidhead model is good very nice attack and spell animation but walk and death are a bit fail.

I voted for Jigrael, that model just seems the best in my opinion... every model here looks awesome and cool, but my vote is for Jig... If I've could vote for everyone, then I would do so ^^

that would defeat the purpose of voting lol(^_^)

Illidan(Evil)X-nice dragon. love the lava/volcanic skin but would have been better if it have dragon breath sorta animation cos those arms look really fragile.

Jigrael-hmm whats there to say except... OMG!!!
since i dont know how to make a lightening effect, i am quite jealous(TT_TT) cos thay look reeeeally cool.

WILLTHEALMIGHTY- super creative, but the green particle emmiters remind me of the blight mist and looks quite poisonous. and i dont think it goes well with the nature-feeling the turtle has. just my thought. could had some wisp like things floating around, adds to the nature look.

Burning_Dragoon5 -the birth animations really nice. like a transformer or something. actually, all the animations are really good. i like how the eyes are teamcoloured as well but you cant see it with purple. with the particle emitters, it really has that chilling icy feeling to it. represents very well what an ice element is. mine doesnt even look icy.(TT_TT)

Dionesiist-excellent fire element the particle emitters fit really well and the death animation is really good. gut his head should have fallen off at the end. and i love the armor texture. this model would have been really something if you made it bit more polys.

too bad Supa and TDR didnt finish their model's in time cos they looked really good.

all of these models would very useful (if uploaded on to the model section) for everyone one using THW. Jigrael already uploaded his. i did mine ages ago
anyways, nice job everyone
+REP FOR EVERYOne \(^o^)/ hurray!!!

Level 3
I'm for jigraels lightning elemental. I love the basically/almost random lightning effects that burst around it and the animation is really great.

I think Illidan(Evil)X's fire elemental is exceptional would've been my first choice if it weren't for little things that bug me. I loved it's firm stance and cool particles/the look in general but it lacks a alternate attack and spell animation which was disappointing. Hate to be picky but i'm not a big fan of the attack animation either. I would've preferred a stronger swipe or even a bite animation.

Basically they are all great models. I was especially fond of the ancient turtle for its simplicity and usefulness. Another model i liked was the Glacial Destroyer because it's birth, death, and dissipate animations we're inspiring (i imagined a hard won battle between a band of travelers and this behemoth. After it is defeated it dissipates into the ground only to resurface at a later and of course inconvient moment). The last one i wanted to mention is the Ice Elemental because it was almost what i had imagined when i read this story a friend of mine wrote.

Ok this is really too long but i just love looking at models and playing with them in the editor and test maps (aka what keeps me playing wc3) so i had to voice my opinion. On a different note, there is no way i could ever model, animate, skin, and etc. like you guys so don't take my criticism's too seriously for i r noob. Lastly, thank you for fueling the last of my addiction to wc3 =P

Level 8
I go for the Jig and his Lightning Model. Although I love the Fire Dragons look, it lacks good animations which Jig, for sure, has.
I by the way think, that the Death Animation of the Dragon doesn't really fit to Wc3^^

However, these models are all fantastic and almost force me making a new map including these guys ^_^

Level 9
My rate list:
1. Illidan(Evil)X's Fire Elemental
Really kickass model, fire dragon
2.Jigrael's Lightning Elemental
I was like this is the best until i didnt saw dragon. This model is really original
3.Dionesiist's Fire Elemental
Doesnt look to complex, but it have its own spirit i like it too
4.Burning_Dragoon5's Ice Elemental
Too much simple, reminds me on golems...
5. WILLTHEALMIGHTY's Ancient Turtle
its LOL :D funny model, not bad but cant win
6. PyramidHe@d's Glacial Destroyer
Dunno what to say, i dont like it, looks too simple and have too much straight lines

GJ everyone

Level 10
.....1. Jigrael's Lightning Elemental (Voted for it)
Perfect. It gives the exact impression the lightning has of superiority and power. The animated textures are well used, but it just misses a birth animation.
.....2. Illidan(Evil)X's Fire Elemental
It is awesome, the originality it has almost made me vote for it, but It has a bad distribution of spammed particles and the childish features make it look like a pokemon rather than an elemental.
.....3. Burning_Dragoon5's Ice Elemental
It is good, it seems to be a perfect counterpart to the Infernal, and I do think it took a lot of work and deserves my vote, but the above ones are even better.
.....4. Dionesiist's Fire Elemental
I like it's style, but it could be more dynamic.
.....5. PyramidHe@d's Glacial Destroyer
Awesome and creative, but the execution wasn't as great as the concept I think.
.....6. WILLTHEALMIGHTY's Ancient Turtle
Good, but too many imported things...

Good job, everybody...

Level 27
*bump* ((sorry for double post in under 48 hours, but wanted to get the news out ASAP))

THE VICTORS HAVE BEEN CHOSEN:

A pretty good model overall, and a very creative use of blizzard textures and animations. I like how you based it off of one model, but completely revamped the concept behind it.

Mesh:
Pretty standard mesh andBlizzardesque, no visible issues (+8)
Well made and did pretty much what you wanted (+3)
Aesthetics are good (+2)
Kind of high polycount for a basic unit (-1)
Total: (11/15)

Animations:
Standard Blizzard Animations (+3)
Fit model (+3)
Total: (6/10)

Textures:
Looks good on model and fits concept (+4)
Standard Blizzard Textures (+3)
Total: (7/10)

Mechanics:
Works well ingame, no bugs (+5)
Total: (5/5)

Effects:
Great looking particles (+5)
Particles should have used gravity, so on death they would still go up, not to the side. (-1)
Total: (4/5)

Creativity:
Concept was new and original (+3)
Fit Elemental theme (+2)

Total: (40/50)

An impressive alternative to the firelord. Your strong point here was your texture, and everything else was pretty good, in the 3-4 out of 5 range.

Mesh:
Good Blizzardesque mesh (+8)
Low polygons (+3)
Aesthetics are good (+2)
Total: (13/15)

Animations:
Good death and dissipate (+3)
Stand animations are creative (+3)
Some anims are a bit slow or static (-1)
Attack anims don't have enough backswing exaggeration for Blizzard (-1)
Overall pretty good (+2)

Textures:
Great scratch texture (+6)
Blizzardesque (+2)
No team color (-1)
Shading is well done (+2)
Total: (9/10)

Mechanics:
No visible bugs, works ingame (+5)
No attachment points (-1)

Effects:
Fit model well (+3)
Looks good and works well (+2)

Creativity:
Fits theme well (+3)
Seems a lot like firelord, but execution was pretty creative (+1)

Total: (41/50)

The extra geometry you added for effects on this model looks great. Some of the animations were a bit strange for a hulking giant unit, but overall I could see this being very useful implemented as a boss unit.

Mesh:
A little high poly (-1)
Disproportionate, even for Warcraft III (-1)
Spikes look good (+3)
Mesh is overall, decent (+5)
Aesthetics (+4)
Total: (10/15)

Animations:
Stands are very well made (+7)
Birth is awesome (+3)
Walk was a bit slow and body didn't move enough (-1)
Animations didn't give me lumbering feeling of a giant ice being (-1)
Total: (8/10)

Textures:
Moderately well made texture (+4)
Fits idea well (+3)
No team color (-1)

Mechanics:
Works well ingame, no bugs. (+5)
No attachment points (-1)

Effects:
Awesome geometry used (+4)
Foggy ice breath looks good (+1)

Creativity:
Fits theme well (+2)
Original concept (+3)

Total: (38/50)

Very cool, icy infernal type unit. A pretty good execution and good for the elemental theme. Looks great as a Blizzard unit, which is a major plus.

Mesh:
Well made and pretty good poly count (+6)
Well done with the spikes and icy effect (+3)
Blizzardesque (+3)
Total: (12/15)

Animations:
Animations are impressively smooth (+6)
Stands are creative (+3)
Attacks are a bit fast (-1)
Total: (8/10)

Textures:
Well shaded (+4)
Blizzardesque (+4)
A bit repetitive on body (-1)

Mechanics:
Works well ingame and no bugs visible (+5)

Effects:
Frost particles look good (+4)
Orb joints are a neat effect (+1)
Total: 5/5

Creativity:
Cool concept, anims are original (+3)
Fits theme (+2)

Total: (42/50)

Holy cow. Those special effects made me drool from the first WIP, and seeing the final result yielded no less. A very Blizzardesque model, and I was overjoyed to see such a rare frequenter to make a submission, especially one this well made.

Mesh:
Well done and Blizzardesque (+8)
Aesthetics (+4)
A bit high poly (-1)
Armor is well constructed (+2)
Body is well constructed (+1)
Total: (14/15)

Animations:
Very Blizzardesque (+5)
Very smooth (+4)
Creative (+1)
Total: (10/10)

Textures:
Blizzardesque (+6)
Well shaded (+2)
Didn't seem to fit lightning theme (-1)

Mechanics:
Works well ingame (+5)

Effects:
Extra lightning bolts looked amazing (+4)
Animated textures done well (+1)
Simply the best effects I have ever seen (+1)
Total: (6/5)

Creativity:
Fits theme: (+2)
Great concept: (+3)
A bit like the firelord (-1)

Total: (46/50)

If you had mentioned you were making a dragon to me, I probably would have groaned. However, seeing this shows me a very well and creatively made execution, and the effects were great. I was blown away by the death animation the first time I saw it.

Mesh:
Well done and blizzardesque (+8)
Hands didn't need fingers, and overall a bit high poly (-1)
Aesthetics (+4)
Well proportioned (+2)
Total: (13/15)

Animations:
Very smooth (+5)
Very Blizzardesque (+4)
Realistic (+1)
Attacks weren't very fitting (-1)
Total: (9/10)

Textures:
Low KB texture with fairly good quality (+5)
Not a lot of shading done (-1)
Fit the model and theme well (+3)
Molten sections look great (+1)
No Team Color (-1)

Mechanics:
Works well ingame and no bugs I can see (+5)

Effects:
Very realistic particles (+2)
Death looks awesome (+3)

Creativity:
Fit theme well (+2)
Despite being a dragon, very uniquely made. (+3)

Total: (45/50)

Score based on:
Judge's Score + (Votes/87 * 50)

WILLTHEALMIGHTY (40 + 4/87*50) = 42.23
Dionesiist (41 + 5/87*50) = 43.87
Pyramidhe@d (38 + 4/87*50) = 40.23
Burning_Dragoon5 (42 + 2/87*50) = 43.15
Jigrael (46 + 31/87*50) = 63.82
Illidan(Evil)X (45 + 41/87*50) = 68.56

Congratulations to...

Illidan(Evil)X's Fire Elemental! +50 rep
Jigrael's Lightning Elemental +35 rep
Dionesiist's Fire Elemental +20 rep

And thank you to all participants!
--donut3.5--

Level 12
If the theme is elementals, what is a turtle and a dragon doing here?

Do I really have to define what an elemental is? Wow.

Level 27
If the theme is elementals, what is a turtle and a dragon doing here?

Do I really have to define what an elemental is? Wow.

Turtle is made of stones and earth, earth is an element, the dragon was made of fire and magma, fire is an element.
Thus, they are elementals.
You can join the rest of the "We-Like-To-Complain-About-Loose-Constructionalism-In-Contest-Themes" club, they held a big debate in the thread.
Given I don't care much for the WLTCALCICT club, all the entries are still valid.
--donut3.5--

Level 22
Turtle is made of stones and earth, earth is an element, the dragon was made of fire and magma, fire is an element.
Thus, they are elementals.
You can join the rest of the "We-Like-To-Complain-About-Loose-Constructionalism-In-Contest-Themes" club, they held a big debate in the thread.
Given I don't care much for the WLTCALCICT club, all the entries are still valid.
--donut3.5--

Amen.

Grat's to all entrants, Reppadar will be shared shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.