• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Model Conversion (.Max -> .Mdx)] Plethoric Collection of Amazing-ness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hello all!

I join you this fine afternoon to Request some (hopefully) minor help in converting a series of models. This set of models comes from the esteemed and ancient Ominous Horizons mod, an extensive 'four-races / all-custom' total conversion headed by Tijil and Bhav back in the mid-2000's and archived, chronicled & ultimately uploaded by yours truly over at Wc3C.net I encourage you to read up on it there.

This mod, great though it was, was great in its fall as well. Perhaps taking upon themselves too much, OH fell into the dust of obscurity within a few years.

However!

Left behind, amongst the ruins, is a decently-large collection of 3DSMax model files (in various stages of completion), which portray the length & breadth of the OH mission.

These models, I am sad to say, have rotted on hard-drives (and now the web) for far too many years. I have no 3DSMax, so I can't even really view these things. Which leads me to my Request:

=======================================

TL;DR Can someone who has the appropriate program take these and convert them to Warcraft-readable (.mdl or .mdx) files?

I just want the swathes of highly-talented modelers, texturer's and animator's here at the Hive to be made aware & have access to this amazing set.
(On the side, while most of the models are Tauren, there is at least one model I have a particular hope will be picked up by an enterprising modeller... The "Tiki Torchmon" really needs some love. :p )

As a showcase of what can be done, I present to you one amazing example of what can be done with a little collaboration (done for my upcoming Jungle Troll custom race project)

The Troll Headshrinker
Headshrinker.jpg

Needless to say, let's get these things out there! Thanks again; I really appreciate any help that can be given. Good day!

The Troll Python Warrioress
Priestess.jpg
Technically this came not from a straight model-file of OH, but it did come originally from one of the modeller's eventual plans

Attachments

• 3ds Max Files.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
~bump~

So... 45 views & no responses. Hopefully I didn't scare anyone off with my wall-o-text.

Is it a matter of difficulty? I'll be honest, I have no idea how hard any of this is. If it's a matter of interest, perhaps someone can just open these up & take pictures?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
~bump~

Would it go better for me to individually contact individuals? :p

You know what? How about I offer you free respect! That's right, for the low low price of mdx conversion, you can gain the respect of the Internet! Come quickly; this offer won't last forever.

FINALY Someone answered u xD, mate I have dl them long time ago, but my shiity net cannot upload them(probably it can but model by model), some of the models are cool, none of them doesnt have skin, only few have animations, few are just some edited boxes, there is nice tauren building. But I have problemm that I cannot export animations, so I dont know how would that help you, plus my bad net, really really a little (almost none) free time.So tell me what you would like to get(with out animations), I ssuggest youu this tauren building, they look nice :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
FINALY Someone answered u xD, mate I have dl them long time ago, but my shiity net cannot upload them(probably it can but model by model), some of the models are cool, none of them doesnt have skin, only few have animations, few are just some edited boxes, there is nice tauren building. But I have problemm that I cannot export animations, so I dont know how would that help you, plus my bad net, really really a little (almost none) free time.So tell me what you would like to get(with out animations), I ssuggest youu this tauren building, they look nice :)
Wow, thanks for responding. :p

So you're saying that there's varying degree of completion (most have textures, some have anims, some just barely edited). Good to know.

Well I understand lack of free time & lack of bandwidth; not a problem. Perhaps a good compromise (so I have a better idea of what you're talking about is this; would you be willing to take a quick (couple a) screenshot(s) of the models in the pack (esp. the Tauren building you seem excited about :p), so I have an idea of what's what. If you could do that, it would be much appreciated.

Level 14
Sadly I don't have access to 3DMax so I can't open the .max files and the converters I have found online don't seem to work. So if someone can convert the .max files into a more accessible format like .obj, I could help from there. Alternatively you could ask Retera. I am pretty sure he has a VM with the old 3DMax and the war3 art tools plugin on it- he should probably be able to help you.

Level 17
hmmm the main problem is to convert your max finels i needs fbx format to opened it and convert to mdx, max normali cant opened in autodesk 3ds max, in my beginers converting works max is product of fbx, where i save fbx as max and then i needs fbx to load that max as xaf thats the reason why nobody cant convert it

Level 15
If i read this long time ago I'll surely try to help senpai o.o
I just installed 3dsmax 2016 again, and able to open those max files. But max files are not saving the textures, only link it. So no texture here.. Also, specific arttools part art not working too, like the particles. Models and animations are working fine.
But I can't really remember how to export properly to warcraft format now. Tried neodex and it has error o.o I can export them to fbx so it can be opened on any other programs (blender) if you want

1676348600786.png

Level 17
If i read this long time ago I'll surely try to help senpai o.o
I just installed 3dsmax 2016 again, and able to open those max files. But max files are not saving the textures, only link it. So no texture here.. Also, specific arttools part art not working too, like the particles. Models and animations are working fine.
But I can't really remember how to export properly to warcraft format now. Tried neodex and it has error o.o I can export them to fbx so it can be opened on any other programs (blender) if you want

View attachment 425254
impresive, i was thinks that max is not normali able to open, i worsk only with fbx, now c4d to, try convert one to fbx i want to looks on it, im use too 2016, his good and stable,

Status
Not open for further replies.