• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modding Community Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Melda said:
Whitehorn and I were discussing the implications of the Mod Support site recently opened by Blizzard, and of the perceptions there are within the community of its effectiveness in . . . well, being effective.

It seems that the support site is not really there for modifications, as such, but is there more for Battle.net maps, which is understandable, since it is hosted on Battle.net, and there are probably far more people who play these sorts of things on Battle.net than there are modders in the entire online modding community.

So that brings us to this conclusion: It seems that we, modders, are not visible on the Blizzard radar.

A lot of people have been whinging, whining, bitching and moaning about this, and what has it helped so far? Nothing.

If we want to actually be recognised for anything, there is only one way that we are going to do it -- if we get off our asses and do it ourselves! Because, let's face it -- nobody else is going to do it for us.

I propose that we compile a kind of 'ultimate' list of mod projects, articles, tutorials, resources, and whatever miscellaneous tools may be of assistance to supporting the modding community.

Ideally, we should scour the Internet for all projects that exist, but I do not feel that this is realistic or fair. Therefore I think the best system that we should consider persuing would be to have a list compiled by the sites who are actually interested in being involved in this project. If I site does not want to host the list of projects, then that is their choice, and they will be excluded from the endeavour, and their projects will miss out on the opportunity.

Whitehorn has already stated that he would be interested in helping set up the code for such a database, but it is really something that cannot be done with one or two people. It is going to take at least one representative from each site who wants to be involved, and many projects that want to be involved may have to actually make an effort to be noticed if they want to be included in this.

That was posted November 3rd. A lot of ideas, planning and some work has gone into our idea over the month.

What we are working on is a project, in the form of a website, that integrates all of the modding community - starting with Warcraft 3, then Starcraft and whatever expands from there.

The Project is not going to be a seperate entity - it will be a resource for everyone to use that links to other websites. It is a comprehensive database of sorts.

Features that we plan to include are listings of:

Mods; in progress, completed, inactive.
Map databases.
Artists [graphical and musical] that seek projects to work for.
Projects that seek artists.
Tutorials for ALL aspects covered and related to the content of this project.
Tools, scripts.
Graphics, audio for use.

And likely much more!

--------------------

Initially we plan to produce a master listing of all resources. From there we hope to build an affiliate system. You link to us, you get referred, spotlighted and reviewed. The more people take efforts to help spread the word, the more they will be rewarded.

Next we shall work on a pending resources section, for additions that have yet to be reviewed. Affiliates will have priority.

--------------------

How can you help?
We need to know of every possible resource out there.
We want everyone to be aware of this project. It's here to help YOU.
Reviewers and representatives for each site will be required once this project gets up to speed.

well, it sounds like a pretty fanciful idea.

how are new resources to be submitted to this website? do you think people will actually submit them both here and there, regardless of it's popularity? and if they dont, you won't really have an ultimate archive.

for example, we have 2123 models in the archive. It grows every single day. I haven't logged on once to find that there have been no new models submitted. whether i deleted them or not is a different story. I dont think that most submitters would bother to submit them both here and 'there', and im not exactly willing to be a clean up crew for, i'll take a guess, half, of the future models in this archive.

its the same for every other archive we have. especially maps.

and if you can manage to work that out, your ultimate resource site is going to be very popular. as you know, we get 1 terrabyte of traffic a month. all of the wc3 mod sites combined will get double that amount. add Starcraft and WoW, from the sheer download count i would imagine triple. my point being, it will be very expensive.

Level 15
Well, people do not submit anything to us other than links to resources. So, if someone makes a new model, they can visit the project and find out what sites host models, then choose one (or more) and submit it there.

We will link to hosting sites, not seperately host the files. Although if poeple wish, we can host the files too.

An approval system may also be implemented for individual objects. This would be similar to the Directors choice that is run here, and related to our 'pending resources' idea.

Level 9
well i dont know of many other sites let alone the owner of them so the most i can do is see if i can help with the production of the websites and things like that, this sounds like a brilliant idea but unless you can find a free host then it would cost money. Im sure i can help find other websites and ask them if they would be interested in puting effort into it as well. And as for submitting the projects, websites, models, skins, etc you would need some sort of a moderator team to help because after it get up and running it would need help to go through the websites and models, etc and choose if they are the right quality of product. And if you did have a team of people to do this it might be best for a team for each game. So theres many things that would have to be done.

Regards,
Damned-Dragon

Level 3
I like the idea, though it sounds rather difficult to achieve.

For the list of resources, I propose that you add http://www.wc3jass.com. It is focused on Jass Scripts alone. At the moment there are 289 Jass scripts (some less useful than others I'm afraid) submitted ready to be used.
When your affiliate system gets up and running I'll be willing to link to your site as well.

Level 22
That's the problem. Blizzard recently opened their 'Mod' site, but have so far shunned MODDING. They're strictly campaign/map orientated. A lot of us are working on much more than that.

Not even that....its just for multiplayer maps under 4 megs. I asked before when they would except single player maps or campaigns, and they told me that it would be after the multiplayer maps are up, but the impression they gave me was that they would be seeking mor emultiplayer maps once their current list has been posted.
-VGsatomi

Level 9
I do realise it exceeds word im fully aware that word wouldnt do the best job considering you cannot achive the full work that you could do. And as for staff if you would need help either with production or moderation ill help if needed. The design looks okay but i dont like the colours that much maybe a brighter design and if you did a banner then i would think it would include characters of all games that you would include the Affiliates catagory. And btw whats your host?

Level 9
Well i suppose yes it is obvious, paid for or free is what ive been trying to get at.

Status
Not open for further replies.