• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MipMapHax? [Mildly NSFW]

MipMapsBanner.png

• Within this tutorial, you'll find how to put an Easter Egg or something of the sort in your map. This isn't really useful. It's kind of a meme. But here we go!
    • This requires tutorial requires Warcraft Patch 1.32+ to work.
    • You'll need to operate with ".dds" files.
    • You'll also need some form of Photo Editor; as with all my tutorials, this will be shown using GIMP, but Photoshop and Paint.net are also capable of handling this.
    • Note that this process is made in a reversed order.
  • First, let's find an icon that will be used as our Easter Egg.

BTNohfuck.png

yep this will do
  • So, now that we have made/found the icon we intend to use as our meme, we want to create it as a ".dds" and GENERATE MIPMAPS.

mipexport.png

Excellent, now we're cooking with oil.
  • After saving your icon up to this point, close and re-open the editor/image. We don't want any old data cached.
    • It should be working as a standard icon, but it is not done yet.
  • Next, we're going to remove what is inside of the border entirely. You should be left with something similar to this -
emptybox.png

If you look closely, you will see that the mipmaps still contain the old image.
  • Now we're going to add the cover image, which for the purpose of this demonstration, will be another meme.

BTNwtf.png
  • Ok, so now that we've added the cover image, we're going to save the file again as ".dds" and USE EXISTING MIPMAPS.

existingmipmaps.png
  • Now, if we were to use this icon in a map, when the icon is held in the inventory, it will display as normal, but when you go to drop/sell it, it will display the (hidden) image Easter Egg.
    • Here's an example of that it in action.

unknown.png

• Some practical uses of this include recolors or giving items an "X" or "✓" for what can/cannot be sold.
  • More complex concepts can be thought of, such as using items as a "deck of cards" where each card is actually two, with the "top" one visible to all players, and the "bottom" card can only be seen by the player by attempting to drop it. I hope to see some creative uses!
That concludes this tutorial, enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm glad you took what I showed you and made something useful out of it! Nice work Lycan!
I created your map and let you post it, you created this tutorial and let me post it. Now we're even!

I actually like the humor, made me chuckle.
Not sure if it is fitting though.
While I did aim this to be satire, it is indeed a accurate tutorial on how to modify .dds images and force different uses of MipMaps. For instance, if someone was really dedicated, they could do this with a red colored "X" on items that can't be sold.

You did not host images as attachments and I feel like being NSFW is highly unnecessary. You can easily find images that aren't unsafe for work and make this tutorial just as well.
In my defense the banner is uploaded to the site. I was just in a rush last night to finish it. I figured Chaosy would ask me to resize everything anyways and I would just upload the images then.

These images are not displaying any sort of nudity. It's really just because you know where they come from that they sound any alarms. I've also marked the post accordingly. I do not think this is against the site rules, but I won't argue over it.

The entire tutorial is built around jokes/eastereggs/memes, if I cannot keep the intended jokes in it, I will just take it down.

Level 23
I created your map and let you post it, you created this tutorial and let me post it. Now we're even!

While I did aim this to be satire, it is indeed a accurate tutorial on how to modify .dds images and force different uses of MipMaps. For instance, if someone was really dedicated, they could do this with a red colored "X" on items that can't be sold.
This selling of items thing is actually brilliant.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I... am inclined to agree with Mayday's point of view.
As I said in an earlier post, I personally find it funny so I am biased - for the record.

But objectively it is not explicit so I don't think it breaks any rules.
It is mentioned in the title for those who must not sin as a failsafe.

There is also an internal discussion among staff to allow NSFW(*) model submissions which seem very likely to go through based on the replies last I checked. This tutorial is a step below that.

Admins are welcome to overrule me on this. But I think the (mild)NSFW aspect is fine but unnecessary in terms of functionality.