• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Mini Mapping Contest #18 - Poll

Choose the best entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

p_mini-png.311514
ct_mapping-png.311496

contest-png.311487
18-png.364032

thread_poll-png.311518

mm18-banner-png.367879

Art: Thomas Ripoll Kobayashi
dungeon-png.367878

>> Download Entries! <<

Contestants were to create a dungeon and a hero to traverse it. The dungeon must have 3 or 4 rooms, each featuring different gameplay from the last; and one boss at the end, after the rooms are cleared.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
  • A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus of 5%.
  • Participating in the poll will not prevent disqualification.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement about what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 55 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 40 reputation points
  • Judge: 15 reputation points per entry
The winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_entries-png.311509

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Gameplay
Is the map an enjoyable experience? Are the spells satisfying? Is there replayability? Does the map have unique and original ideas? Does the dungeon meet the contest requirements? /50
ImmersionDo the terrain and music create a desirable atmosphere? Are the sound and art assets used well? How is the general execution?/40
TechnicalDoes the map run well performance-wise? Are there lots of bugs?/10
/100

• Judgement: 80%
  • Poll: 20%
FinalScore = (20*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (80*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall conclude on 27th January 2021.

Assigned Staff: @Mythic

Contest | Results

Attachments

• MM18 Entries.rar
    85.3 MB · Views: 389
Level 25
@Mayday Ambient lighting and the user interface seem to work differently in 1.32. It heavily affects how my map is displayed and runs. If it is played in 1.32, it will probably only work when hosted through LAN.

If anyone doesn't already have version 1.31, it could be good to have around to play custom campaigns until they're added again to the latest version.

Level 11
@Mythic , to reply to your post on the previous thread which was closed:
The theme wasn't feeling 'mini' anymore, I wasn't having fun making a single player experience, and the rubric's priorities were just disheartening. The pretty shitty holiday season of 2020 was the icing on the cake to end it for me.

I'd love to participate in another contest, but the structure of the contests could use some changes. I'd love to see the contests prioritize re-playability, interesting game play, be focused on multiplayer experiences (which is what, I would argue, makes WC3 fun to play still), and have a very open theme requirement. Simple themes like a map type of "hero defense, survival, card game" or a core mechanic like "random generation, hero customization, base building" would be great.

Another important thing for me to check the 'mini' box is that within an hour of work I can have a working map to iterate on. The previous boss fight contest met this requirement. This contest felt like 4 separate mini-mapping contests combined into one map (hell, a boss fight was 1/4 of the requirement here, whereas it was the entire requirement of the previous contest!). This might be why only two participants made it to the finish line?

I went so far as to write a contest description for a "hero customization" contest, complete with rubric, since this contest's description irked me and some other friends so much (let me know if you're looking for the next contest description :grin: ).

Level 29
@Mythic , to reply to your post on the previous thread which was closed:
The theme wasn't feeling 'mini' anymore, I wasn't having fun making a single player experience, and the rubric's priorities were just disheartening. The pretty shitty holiday season of 2020 was the icing on the cake to end it for me.

I'd love to participate in another contest, but the structure of the contests could use some changes. I'd love to see the contests prioritize re-playability, interesting game play, be focused on multiplayer experiences (which is what, I would argue, makes WC3 fun to play still), and have a very open theme requirement. Simple themes like a map type of "hero defense, survival, card game" or a core mechanic like "random generation, hero customization, base building" would be great.

Another important thing for me to check the 'mini' box is that within an hour of work I can have a working map to iterate on. The previous boss fight contest met this requirement. This contest felt like 4 separate mini-mapping contests combined into one map (hell, a boss fight was 1/4 of the requirement here, whereas it was the entire requirement of the previous contest!). This might be why only two participants made it to the finish line?

I went so far as to write a contest description for a "hero customization" contest, complete with rubric, since this contest's description irked me and some other friends so much (let me know if you're looking for the next contest description :grin: ).

I would have removed the "unique gamplay" for each chamber to reduce trigger work a bit, but keep the 3 distintive (enviroment and creeps) areas just to level up till reach the final boss area.

Status
Not open for further replies.