• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contest #13 - Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
3.png

With two contests being at the end stage at the moment, I thought it's time to introduce another one.
This thread would serve to gather suggestions for themes so that we can vote in the future.
Provided that people are interested, needless to say.

ThemeDescription

Ghastly Realm
The map has to deal with ghosts/spirits/souls and the like. The entire map can take place in the realm of the dead.
SportCreate a map related to sport in some way. Example: Football Tournament
Generated WorldThe world itself should be generated through triggers, this included terrain, enemies etc.
WorkshopGet a customer request and complete it to win.

Expedition
The player has to reach a special goal (e. g. reach a place, find a treasure) before his enemies while also constructing a base/gather materials etc.
TwistCreate a map with a gameplay twist. Example; A maze map where you control the maze rather than the ones in the maze.
From zero to..The map should be about starting of something from zero and develop it into something much better. Example: start with a campfire, end up with a town.
Up to 11
Take a basic race mechanic and make a map centered around it, you are allowed to enhance/achieve the same effect using triggers. Eg. A map based around Call to Arms/Sacrifice/Uproot/Mount Hippogryph/Orc Bunker etc.
Magical ForstThe map should be centered around a forest with various magical beings inhabiting it.
RushThe player has to achieve a certain goal before the time limit, it may be many small goals and not necessarily one large goal.

Last edited:
Level 18
I liked these themes from the previews poll:
  • Creation: Literally warp into existence something and make it evolve or anything among those lines.
  • Workshop: Get a customer request and complete it to win. (I really love this concept for a mini-game/map.)
  • Expedition: The player has to reach a special goal (e. g. reach a place, find a treasure) before his enemies while also constructing a base/gather materials etc.

Now my personal suggestion:
  • Mini-Game Genre Twist: or just name it Genre Twist, the idea is to create a map with any of the clasic formats TD, AoS, etc. But play them in a unique manner. (For example: you create a TD map where you control the waves of creeps and your goal is to kill the 100 lifes of the enemy base, towers would be managed by AI)

Level 8
[*]Mini-Game Genre Twist: or just name it Genre Twist, the idea is to create a map with any of the clasic formats TD, AoS, etc. But play them in a unique manner. (For example: you create a TD map where you control the waves of creeps and your goal is to kill the 100 lifes of the enemy base, towers would be managed by AI)[/LIST]

Interesting Idea.

I like the sport theme more, btw.

Level 18
If we wanna go for a mini-map contest I'll propose something that I don't know if anybody ever thought about it, I'd say how about making a chocolat terrain (not really chocolat..) but a place where everything is made from chocolat, Icecream....etc, Crazy idea though not if it is even possible...
Mmm IMO that would require heavy use of custom models and 2D art, thus it would deviate a lot from the "Game Play" focuss that this kind of contests have.

Any other thoughts?, maybe there are easier ways to create fantasy terrain plus gameplay without the heavy use of imports.

Level 23
Would like to point out that this a map contest.
ie. the theme should be something an actual playable map should be built around.

Try to avoid anything that is too specific, such as forcing users into fixed mechanics set.
Also for the love of all that is holy, if you have no intention of joining; don't troll with nonsense suggestions.

Level 23
@Kino
I assume that was directed towards Warseeker's suggestion?

Not inherently.
The last time we tried to do a MMC 13 theme poll, certain users basically flooded it with nonsense, disregarding the practicality/playability of their suggestions.
Just pointing that out in case it happens again.

Also, there seems to be a "trend" where users suggest something that is overly specific (map scope wise) or is some sort of visual gimmick.

Level 23
Ill throw in a suggestion.

Up to 11
- Take a basic race mechanic and make a map centered around it, you are allowed to enhance/achieve the same effect using triggers.

Eg. A map based around Call to Arms/Sacrifice/Uproot/Mount Hippogryph/Orc Bunker etc.

Level 26
Isn't "Ghastly Realms" (awesome btw) is almost the only theme, no?
The other are more concepts, right? Wich also is good to vote about though. :)

I want to add dungeon crawler as a concept, and magical forest (lots of sprites, animals and other magical beings swarming around) to the list!

Excited about this contest! Let's make it a reality!

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Isn't "Ghastly Realms" (awesome btw) is almost the only theme, no?
A bit debatable I suppose but I'm glad you like my theme suggestion.

Will add your suggestions in a second.

edit: uh.. how is a dungeon crawler defined? I know the rough concept but I am not confident enough to academically define it.

Level 5
Nice ideas, but I would go with Expedition.

My suggestion:
- Rush: The map is about rushing to get something before the specific time expired or someone already got it already, like for example: You need to get a artifact, before the time rans out or before the AI do.

I don't know how to describe my suggestion though, I hope you understand.

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
A theme poll along with the theme discussion can be created by any user.
The contest itself and the user vote of the entries can be hosted by a user, too.
However, in order for the contest to launch, it has to be approved by a moderator, who then
moves the contest from the Submission subforum to the main Arena forum.

Since this doesn't apply to the Theme Poll, there should be no problem if someone else
(i. e. you @Rufus) created a theme poll. ;)

There is also no template for what the theme poll or discussion are supposed to look like,
it can be just another thread.

Might as well be done by the staff.
Get your hands in check and have some initiative, you lazy @Chaosy.
There's no reason for you to hide behind bushes for the sheer reason of being lenient(right?)

Don't make me do it.

Have in mind that a techtree contest just started and plenty of people are working on it (altho probably 75% will drop it midterm as usual)
No reason not to start it either. Interested people should join regardless of the ongoing tech-tree contest.

Users can be quite time managing if they want to : )

Status
Not open for further replies.