• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Metastasis 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
So about 2 months into the project and today we've decided to go public with it.

So, hello there viewer, or err... reader. You may be wondering what this little thing will be?
Well, remember Metastasis?
If you do or do not, doesn't matter. I will try my best explaining what it was about, right here!
... just open the spoiler.

The map is set in space, somewhere in distant future of who knows how long. You along with (potentially) other 11 people are found in an abandoned research sector, when suddenly somehow you know that one of your fellow personnel was infected (seems like a plot hole to me). And through some backstory it's determined that the infected is not exactly family friendly. So all of you personnel decide to play a game of: "Address the elephant in the room before the elephant kills you". Except there's not one elephant in the room, but 2. Depending how many personnel (players) there are in the game. So yeah, you're playing the game nice and slow until some other personnel comes along and teamkills you out of spite or "lulz" and then you rage for 30 minutes until you calm yourself down and decide you'll never to play the map again... until the next time that is.
Pretty fun, right?

Or, if you're not the kind for satire comedy...

Map is set in space, you're one of the 12 personnel in the long lost research sector with some alien lifeform that has infected one of your comrades. Your objective as a human/android is to find the infected and mutant and eliminate them, as they would do the same to you.
In hindsight, it's a game of who is the killer.

Well, whatever version of the description you chose to read know that they're both accurate in their own way. OR alternatively, you could go read up the description of the map at the previous version of Metastasis.

Now, let's get into the details and mechanics that exist in the previous version of Metastasis and may or may not be in the version 2.0.

You can change suits in the game, kind of like changing... well suits. I don't know I'm bad with analogies!
Well to start of, there are.. 1..2..7..14..19..25..20 20 suits!

No.. wait, I can't count, that's definitively 18 suits. Eitherway, here they are!
Or dubbed by the community: "Acid Suit"

This suit would kind of be an equivalent of a sniper, except you can't do massive damage with 1 shot, however you do poison your targets, which is nice? (It certainly would be nice if the said poison slows your target down.)
It also has 2 abilities:
  1. Goo Spray - showers some targeted area with some green goo that damages anyone that's standing in it.
  2. Blinding Cloud - renders all abilities and attacks useless to all units in that cloud.
While this suit has low damage, it has pretty high attack speed, but if you're encountering someone with a pretty damaging suit, and you don't know how to properly handle this suit, just freeze everyone and run away like the Queen (Elsa) you are. Also, upon attack it slows the unit a bit for a very small time. So, yeah, do whatever you want with that information.
As the previous suit, this one also has 2 abilities, who would have thought:
  1. Cryogenesis - this doesn't do any damage, but it significantly slows the unit that's been hit by this projectile for some time. Good for "hit and run" tactics? Except it's more like, esnare and run.
  2. Cryo Shock - this ability is the one I was referring to in the brief explanation, freezes all units around you, unable to move or attack, for some time, 3 seconds I think?
Moral of the story? I don't think this suit is made for 1v1 trials by blood. More like a support suit, or a cowardice suit? I am pretty sure some people would disagree...
Just to clarify, not being racist or anything, it's just how the suit is called, probably named by the the stuff that makes up the other 90 something percent of the universe.
Well, this suit might be more similar to the previous one. It's not really a DPS suit, but it's probably better than the last one. Its attacks drain target's mana. Rendering them not being able to use their abilities, and some items. Nothing else to say. Next section?
Abilities:
  1. Phase Shift - It's pretty much that NE Firefly ability, that makes it invulnerable for some short period, but not able to do anything? Yeah, except this one lasts for a longer time. Standard stuff.
  2. Energy Destabilization - Throws a grenade that drains the mana of all units in the AOE, and damages them for the amount of mana. Something like AOE Mana Burn?
Oh boy, as if we didn't have enough pyromaniacs in this world.
Hm, Well this one might be one of those, as one would describe, "DPS Suit". It has a damage, but pretty damn rapid attack speed, in contrast to the cryo suit, this suit's abilties are focused on doing damage, rather than debuffing your targets. So let's get to it!
Abilities:
  1. Kidot Projection - Launches a fireball that collides with whatever it touches first (excluding air I guess...) Upon collision, it explodes and spawn a... I'd say some "Fire fountain?", Anyways you get damaged when you go near it, so there's that.
  2. Overheat - Increases your attack speed for some time, after that time runs out, you're met with a debuff which slows you down, not to mention that visual where steam is coming out of your-.
Or what was considered as my favorite suit for some time. With this suit you can become the wind and slam into every wall of the station like a truck. This suit is not really as focused on DPS, as it is on controlling a target. Force suit's projectile can, and will push or pull the target, depending on how you set your polarity on. If used precisely, you can effectively keep him from the firing distance, as this suit has firing range of 1800 or even more. However, the projectiles are not the fastest thing. So they may be easy to dodge.
Abilities:
  1. The Good Ol' Wallslamming Ability, wait no I mean..
  2. Kinetic Rush - this was supposed to be numerated as number 1, whatever! Yeah, you can force yourself in a direction, traveling quite some distance in relatively short time, also as bonus, all the targets you hit on your way, get damaged. What a nice way to say hello!
  3. Force Vortex - Well, it's a grenade that pushes everything from itself, what to say about it? Oh wait yes! You can use it to propel yourself, if you're good with it, that is.
If this isn't a support suit, I don't know what is.
So yeah, this suit is all about buffing your allies, healing them and protecting them. (Though nothing says you can't do these things to yourself.)
Has moderate damage... and it's a suit? Yeah!
Abilities:
  1. Energy Transmission - The name is a bit misleading, you're not transferring mana, but health. More like 50 of your HP into 100 HP to them, or yourself. So it's a "kind of" a healing ability.
  2. Absorption Banks - Well, this thing is absolutely useless to you, but to other? Oh boy. It's basically that Shadow Hunter's Voodoo ability, but with very small AOE, others basically must be huddled together for it to work on them.
  3. Automatic Restoration - This is a "healing ward" ability. Pretty simple stuff.
Another DPS type of suit, damage damage and damage everyone!
Small damage but very big attack speed, abilities are focused on damage output, yadda yadda yadda, you know the drill.
Abilities:
  1. Toss RDG - Tosses a "Remote Detonated Grenade", you can have only 4 of these.
  2. Detonate RDGs - Detonates all "Remote Detonated Grenades" you have thrown, there can be only 4 RDGs you've thrown, at 1 time. Each RDG deals like 50 damage?
  3. Setup - and no, not in a way where a Installation wizard comes up and does stuff. You "entrench" yourself in the spot, where you get increased attack speed. If you move, the effect is cancelled, if you rotate yourself out of the designated firing area, the effeect is cancelled.
Another DPS type of suit, except, it's a little different.
You shoot these things called "slivs" to your targets, accumulate them, and then make them explode, doing damage. Sounds like scary stuff, and it probably is...
Abilities:
  1. Summon Metal - Apperently this suit can conjure up metallic boulders out of thin air.
  2. Magnetic Thrust - and this is what you do with those said boulders, you hurl them at others to deal some damage, pretty fun, right?
  3. Detonate Slivs - Or, your main source of DPS.
Not exactly a "lightbending" suit. However, you can blind people with it, I guess.
Abilties:
  1. Blind - Yep...Oh right, the description. Gives your target a curse ability, giving it like 45% chance to miss? Sounds about right.
  2. Firefly - This thing, the bane of all existence. It can fly around, it can use items, it can buy items, it can do all kinds of things. It has 125 health, high movement speed and 1 inventory slot. So small, yet so game-balance breaking... or maybe it's just me?
Another DPS type of suit. Shoots small plasma pellets, I assume.
High attack speed, small damage, like we don't have enough of those. This one is more specialized in a bit of a 'closer' combat. Or if you're chased you can sort of, leave 'landmines' after you.
Abilities:
  1. Matter Draining Device - drains... matter? The science with this one is strong. It damages anything that you attach this to. If its target is out of its range, it will just quit life and die. But yeah, damage over time, neat!
  2. Plasma Balls - or as I mentioned previously, 'landmines'. Explodes after a small about of time damaging everyone in the radius but the caster.
It doesn't measure your pulse, it destroy it... I wish. Uses mana as its ammo. Damages your target depending on the mana you've got. More mana = more damage , less mana = less damage. This suit is all about mana...
Abilities:
  1. Energy Bank - spawn one of these, and it will accumulate mana, upon death drains mana of everyone in range and disables their abilities for small time.
  2. Energy Transfer - steal mana from other people, or those Energy Banks I just mentioned.
One would think it causes the ground to mutate, one would thing it causes the air to mutate. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything. Rad suit is a DPS type of suit, and causes damage... Yep. It also has a passive aura that damages everyone around them. People who use this suit, must be pretty toxic and unfriendly.
Abilities (besides that aura):
  1. Core Overload - As if you weren't deadly enough, you're a mini nuke! With enough mana you can go kaboom! Deals 600 damage to everyone around you. You however, take 200 damage.
    The area after that explosion is so radioactive and toxic, it deals damage to everyone in it.
Another DPS suit, where do they end?!
Shoots rockets, big surprise. You can also throw a rocket, or you can even launch a remote controlled rocket.
Abilities:
  1. Hand Missile - That throw-able rocket, yep.
  2. "Halberd" Rocket - That remote controlled rocket, detonates on impact.
Or how the world editor likes to call it, "Chainsaw Suit".
The only melee suit, in the history of Metastasis (I think). Can repair stuff, but can also cut you up. Small damage but high attack speed. Your hands are chainsaws, what else could you possibly want?
Abilities:
  1. Welding Torch - that repair thinggy.
  2. Magnetic Saw - Not only do you have saws for hands, but you also get to summon your own floating/flying saw that you can control and damage others with.
Previously known as "Electric Suit".
You shoot lightning, pretty standard. Oh who am I kidding, it looks pretty damn cool. You can make lightning storms and shoot a bigger lightning. A DPS suit, in case you missed the point.
Abilities:
  1. Chargeup - 4 seconds of charging, so you can shoot someone down for like 200 damage or something.
  2. Lightning Storm - pretty self-explanatory don't you think?
And now, for some unique/rare suits.
I don't know man, the item is a coat, but the unit is a suit.
You can lower someone's armor with it, can swap places with someone in your range, and can spawn a cute little monster!
Abilities:
  1. Chemistry - Throws something to your target, probably some acid? Eats away at their suit therefor lowers armor? Seems reasonable explanation.
  2. Physics - Swaps you with the target in range.
  3. Biology - Spawns that little cute thing, reasonable damage for a minion, higher HP than a firefly, and 3 inventory slots, but not as fast.
As the name says it, this suit is pretty OP.
Has higher range, higher damage, and slightly higher attack speed than, let's say Rocket suit. Has many different abilities from many different suits,so let's list them.
Abilities:
  1. Welding Torch
  2. Toss RDG
  3. Detonate RDGs
  4. Kinetic Rush
  5. Firefly
Pretty OP, yeah?
Oh and almost forgot, it has 50 HP more than all other suits.
Or better known as "Illusion Suit".
Creates a duplicate of you, can swap your location with the illusion, pretty much it, I don't know seems mundane.
Abilities:
  1. Swap - Swaps you with your duplicate
  2. Illusory Double - Creates a duplication of you which you can control. The duplicate can do damage, but not as much as the original suit. It also takes more damage that the original.
And that should be all for the suits.
Some of these will be as they are, some of them might get a complete change. Maybe add some new ones? I don't know. Time will tell.
To be populated with text.

Draft 2.

Last edited:
Level 23
I remember in the last 2000s when metastasis was the map i would always see on the custom games list. I never really got into it then, but hopefully i can give it a chance with your new project. Good luck!

Level 11
Great to hear, I thought after thor won the race, he was going to give up on this. He has a promise to keep after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.