• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Mech Mainia . . ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
well this is the project i've been spending so much time on still not done but today i put together some screenies for a loading screen and i dont think i've seen anyone do anything like it . . .its not the best i could by anymeans i only used wc3 effects becuase i dont want to have to import then export stuff because were close to the limit.

genral run down on the game theme (is in the loading screen so read it there) but you play as a third person controled mech fighting other mechs over control pionts, combat is all projectile based so you have to aim, so it becomes a skill game (and unfortunalty slighty lag based but we thoght of that there is an auto attacking close range mech for those where ping is too bad to shoot, also for having a laugh) it has a variety of weapons and hopefully will lead to very fun gameplay.

any thoughts on it please tell just a little peek, with a couple picts that didnt make the final screen and a couple to show the nearly finnished GUI, I hope it inspiers you guys who have way to much spare time on your hands. . . xD

this project will be out soon just down to the last few triggers and blurbs that are holding this thing up hope to see you all playing.

Attachments

• mech1.jpg
    mech1.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 217
  • mech2.jpg
    mech2.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 158
  • mech3.jpg
    mech3.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 160
  • mech4.jpg
    mech4.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Mechcreen1.jpg
    Mechcreen1.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 144
  • mech5.jpg
    mech5.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 158
  • mech6.jpg
    mech6.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 141
  • mech7.jpg
    mech7.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 175
  • ingame1.jpg
    ingame1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 163
  • ingame2.jpg
    ingame2.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 126
Level 10
I notice some the er...road stripes...are placed out of order. I'd call that slacky if I didn't know you were under time pressure - but still unacceptable imo, sorry, not to be a prick at all.
There's a sort of "too open" and articial feeling to it; it perhaps somehow lacks atmosphere. Just looks rather toyish and unreal to me, plastic-like, clean, unused, bare.

At least you could make some lily pads really dark with tinting color, and scatter them throughout the streets to look like some kind of filth or garbage. It misses the messiness and inconsistency of a bombed city. Maybe even a well-placed charred corpse or two. Not in the open on a clean street!!! But stuffed in somewhere nice with some filth. Dusty stuff and debris too are also very considerable. Maybe some wooden house frame sticks somewhere behind some trees or inbetween (like the remains of a villa). Oh yes, and the green area is too neat too, if it's supposed to have a bombed city feel to it.

Try using denser and darker fog, darker environment, because obviously, with the scale used, you can't see very far before there's a strange skyline, which kinda ruins the feeling that you're sorrounded by destroyed buildings. Schizofrenic use of atmosphere, imo.

Level 10
ok all sugestions taken on board . . .then thrown out of the 200th floor of the world trade centers as it was about to fall down with a lead weight attached, firstly "too open" . . . its desighned so its actualy playable so you can move around with out it just being a cluster fuck, it has open and closed areas becuase there is diffrent ranges of weapons so it has to be made so that its not basied to either of them, detail if you had read my post on playable terrains then you would know there is no piont in putting detail around becuase you wont see it in game, the maps going to be populated by hunders of soldiers 10 mechs and fuck load of partical effects the fog cant go any denser or long range will be handy capped the game is a well oiled and balanced product it is based purely around gameplay and the road marking are only out in one tiny area because i was making those smoke streams so they will be fixed, i just didnt notice id put them back wrong.
also the villa idea if you have seen the whole map you wouldnt of even thought of the idea,

"sorry, not to be a prick at all"

i resent that stament . . . ever heard of constructive critisum . . . from the way you posted it looks like you hated every aspect of it as you had not one posative thing to say about it.

cheers anyway

Edit:
as for detail i spent a while biulding all those biuldings each one is hand made with a large amount of parts, working with 4 peice doodad set and not being able to import anymore then the pathing if you've ever done it before then you can feel my pain, and there is little bots of detail around but only little bits becuase i'm not going to waste my time on unseeing eyes.

Level 17
Technically, he did give you constructive criticism. It's up to you to read it and choose to improve or not. And he is right, it looks too clean. I suggest you look up some real photos of bombed cities and take some inspiration from there. But to be frank, it does look a little plain. And the dalaran brickwork definitely doesn't suit. =O

Level 10
ok feel free to jump on and spend hours more adding details that really arnt going to get noticed by your average gamer but quite frankly i dont have time for it i only said it was a destoryed city becuase the doodas i used happend to be of destroyed manner.

Edit:
bearing in mind that the terrian is only one small aspect of the entire map the modeling alone took a couple days, and we only madea few models, pathing only took a day tho but things like doing some 500 upgrades making icons all the things that actualy make it a playable game . . . . . its not as simple as just "art" terraining

Level 31
ok feel free to jump on and spend hours more adding details that really arnt going to get noticed by your average gamer but quite frankly i dont have time for it i only said it was a destoryed city becuase the doodas i used happend to be of destroyed manner.

Edit:
bearing in mind that the terrian is only one small aspect of the entire map the modeling alone took a couple days, and we only madea few models, pathing only took a day tho but things like doing some 500 upgrades making icons all the things that actualy make it a playable game . . . . . its not as simple as just "art" terraining

a small aspect of the game which also can be the decider of which your map is going to be approved or not from many reviewing systems and moderators. and of course it isnt as simple as terraining, but if you're going to post your pictures expect crticism and expect that some of it will be harsh. other than that, don't post them at all.

Level 10
it just would of been nice if any one had anything posative to say about it . . you bunch of misrable gits . . xD

Edit:
for got one small factor theres already enouth poloygons on show to slow down the average pc once the effects start flying if i add to that the game will become unplayable.

my final word on this is becuase it is a perspective map, you need to actualy play it befoer you can really see how it looks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.