• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Maze Techniques: Unit with Locust and Flying Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Maze Techniques

Floating Platforms
Grass burning
Terrain check
Dummy unit
Portals
Puzzles
Bosses (coming soon)
Unit Death Handling

Keep in mind that I didn't code nice item handling for the dummy unit. It's ok, but I was semi lazy : P.

These are not systems in here, these are just proof of concept ; ).

The terrain check can be fine tuned to be more or less accurate (how far the unit has to be on the terrain for that terrain to kill the unit).

For platforms and collisions with traps, I'd suggest checking both xy range and z range (if the platform is floating above an enemy, that enemy shouldn't kill the player unit).

Attachments

• Maze.w3x
    118.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Level 31
No, it's an idea. You submit resource ideas etc here, not to JASS or Spells section :p, that's where completed resources go. This isn't a tutorial either, too much work, hence why it made its way here =).

edit
btw, I used to make a lot of mazes and came up with a lot of interested/cool techniques as well as ideas.

For example, imagine a field of grass with various roaming units. Along it are some dirt patches. The grass kills you. Your unit has a flame thing that it can use on the grass. When it is thrown on to a patch of grass, the grass burns for a few seconds, then the flames go away and you see dirt. The grass grows back after a few seconds as well.

You have a limited amount of time to get through it, you have a limited number of uses for the flame thing + a cooldown on it. You must solve : P.

Another interesting idea was a huge labyrinth sorta deal filled with rotating blades. These blades would follow a square path. The labyrinth had many ways to get to the end (not really a maze at all, just sorta a set of columns with walls between them). You had to solve the timing to go through the labyrinth without getting killed by the blades. There was also a straight path from the entrance to the exit, but that was ofc suicide : P, a dummy path. There were many like that =).

Another puzzle was the infinity symbol laid out. You had 2 square blocks and 2 blades, one for each of them. One block was slightly higher than the other. You also had a straight path from the top to the bottom. You had to go left, around the left block, then top right to enter the right block, then around that, then exit.

Lots of fun things you could do in mazes =). I used to have a clan and I'd make them these mazes and then they'd solve it. The mazes required both skill (pintpoint accuracy for timing and handeye coordination) as well as crazy problem solving (they were essentially puzzles). Needless to say, I've came up with a lot of fun techniques. I figured that I'd share them with everyone. I'll probably turn it into a pack of techniques and submit it to Spells eventually =).

Level 17
nice ideea the create region for flying platform unit but idk where u move it (coz exist that leave region function), whatever for rpg could make a bit +code for make dummy clone unit with same attachment/items and etc then destroy them

what i dont got, where u got this number? .031250000

Level 37
what loop? i dont really got it

For example if you periodically move a unit in a missile system. The actions loop through several times.

When the time between loops is 0.03125, it does exactly 32 loops per second since 1/0.03125 = 32. The position of the unit is updated 32 times per second then, which is quite smooth unlike 20 times for example.

Level 31
Added some new techniques

For the platform, it should probably wait for the unit to get on it, then go across. It should also lower fly height, unit gets on, raise fly height, go across, lower fly height, units gets off ; O.

The unit selection circle should be like .01 or w/e so that users can't see it.

Item handling could be done better.

These are just to show the cool ideas for mazes and how to do them (semi), lol.

Try to go through the maze =). The flamer burns grass for 2 seconds, then the grass regrows after 6 seconds.

Level 31
Added thing for unit death (try dying)

Made the ordering units totally invisible

Improved platform code

Added new grass burning puzzle (better than other one)

Added portals

Added boss (to be worked on, portal doesn't go to boss atm)

Will eventually switch between two types of units, one for platform and one for reg. Platform unit shouldn't tilt on terrain. Reg should. That is why there is an active unit var.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Will eventually do some spiffy collision detection.

Status
Not open for further replies.