• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] Maximum size of map in a campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hello all,

I was working on a map in my campaign and suddenly the campaign broke. I would try to play the campaign, and it opened to the campaign menu with buttons for all the maps in the campaign. When I clicked on map 10, it registered the click, went to a blank screen briefly, then returned to the campaign menu. The computer just wouldn't start playing that map.

I did some reverse engineering and discovered that apparently the problem is my map's size. Some discoveries:

- If I copy a trigger that works fine, and paste it twenty times... the map breaks (as above).
- If I import a new sound file, the map breaks (as above)
- The map works fine now that I've deleted some extra triggers I didn't need.

I should say that the map is huge. It has about an hour's worth of cinematics in it, a custom combat system, many custom images/models/sounds. I think I simply ran out of room.

QUESTION #1. Can anyone confirm that there is a size limit on how big a map in a campaign can be?

QUESTION #2. I am about to get a ton of custom voice acting, which means my campaign file size is going to be massive (I anticipate about a Gigabyte). Is there a limit to how big campaigns can get? I had planned on putting the voices in the individual maps that use them, but if there is a map file size limit I'll need to put all the custom voices in the campaign, right?

Sorry if this is hard to understand.

Darwin

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
As a rough guess, 2GB minus the campaign overhead itself. The total campaign is also probably limited to 2GB if it uses MPQ like maps do. This assumes WC3 uses the maximum safe file size limit of MPQs, and not that it has some even smaller limit.

I would imagine script errors to be a more likely cause for the map to no load. Also you might want to test if other maps load.

Level 14
I'm was reasonably sure it's a file size issue rather than a scripting error. I have three pieces of evidence:

1. I evoked the error by copying and pasting a single trigger (which had been fine) many times, saving, and starting the campaign.

2. I also provoked the trigger by importing an .mdx that I got from the Hive.

3. I knew something about this bug felt familiar...when I was first importing the map I had the same problem! It took me hours to find it because I thought the problem was a corrupted sound file:

original post here: [General] - Campaign Button won't load map

In that post I talk about a sound file that worked fine in the stand-alone (non-campaign) map. But when I imported the map it wouldn't work. I deleted the imported files in the campaign map, and eventually it worked. I recall going through and deleting files a few at a time until the bug disappeared. It did when I deleted the large 6MB sound file that I had imported. I assumed the problem was the sound file itself, but it probably just pushed me over the limit. When I used a smaller file it worked fine.

My campaign file (the one in the Campaign folder) is currently 60MB in size. I'd like to add some music and hours of custom voice acting...but I'm terrified it's not going to work. I can't be anywhere close to 2GB in size though if the campaign in its entirety is only 60MB.

I suppose I can just upload a ton of useless sounds to my campaign to be sure it still works.

***********UPDATE***********

I ran some more tests. I converted a song on my computer to an .mp3 (4MB). Then I imported it into the first map of my campaign (that is small and has never failed to load). That map was fine with the file. I played the song and everything was fine.

Then I ran map 10, the one that had the problem. It worked fine without the .mp3. Then I imported the .mp3 and it bugged out (failed to load the map and returned to the campaign screen).

Then I deleted the .mp3, and imported it into the campaign as opposed to the map itself. Map 10 loaded fine then.

It looks like there's a file size limit to individual maps in a campaign, but not for the campaign itself (at least not yet).

Am I doing this right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.