• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map series for RPG -> what do you think about it ?

What do you think aboput the idea ?

• Well, hm, don't think it is a good idea, because...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, why not!

• Yeah, you could try, but....

• No need for such map series.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

After some time thinking about my RPG I don't believe I can create it the way I want with only one map. So I was asking myself, why pack all ideas into one map and make deductions on different things ? Why couldn't one create a map series, with exchangeable codes ? Big maps, themed like Forest, Sky, Abyss, Circles of Hell, Heaven, Halls of the Damned Lords.
I know there already exist a exchangeable map series, but it is poorly played ( saw it twice in my whole wc3 life, at least 4 years).
What do you think about this idea ? It would be more dungeon-like and I would have to figure out how to adjust difficulty, but yes, what do you think ? Great maps with Gods and their minions, brave Heroes that hunger for might and power, falling into corruption...

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
You should really structure it more, because you're jumping between topics. I don't even see how the two of the topics are connected to the thread title.
After some time thinking about my RPG I don't believe I can create it the way I want with only one map. So I was asking myself, why pack all ideas into one map and make deductions on different things ? Why couldn't one create a map series, with exchangeable codes ? Big maps, themed like Forest, Sky, Abyss, Circles of Hell, Heaven, Halls of the Damned Lords.
1. No. Too big, big projects fail. End of story. (1% success rate)

I know there already exist a exchangeable map series, but it is poorly played ( saw it twice in my whole wc3 life, at least 4 years).
2. There are 10 000 RPG maps out there but people still make more.

What do you think about this idea ? It would be more dungeon-like and I would have to figure out how to adjust difficulty, but yes, what do you think ? Great maps with Gods and their minions, brave Heroes that hunger for might and power, falling into corruption...
3. This is really vague and impossible for us to judge.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Well, I don't see your argument:

1 said:

This is the question, main topic of this thread -> you answered it

2 said:

I state that there are already maps with same codes, but they are old and I don't think they are well-made

3 said:

I describe gameplay, of course it is vague, but it is more than to say 'it is a rpg'. Especially 'Gods and their minions' shall express you fight in areas like temples, dens or dimensions, also kind of a story one may create. (compare it to 'God of War 3 ', in case you know that game, it has parallel operations).

Yes, it is vage, but I think you can judge the idea of creating different maps with same codes ( similar to a campaign, if you want so)

Level 21
It could work as an expansion strategy, but I don't think it's worth the effort of making it your fundamental strategy to have several maps.

Although do note that by thoroughly using JNGPE and maybe some custom tools it is possible to quickly generate maps based on some rules.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
First off, sorry I seemed to be rude. I tend to be like that sometimes.

The first topic was indeed the one I considered to be the proper section of the text.

The second subject felt kinda pointless since there are multiple types of each map genre. Besides it's not connected to the idea itself. (I know I am picky)

I just felt that it was very vague, not exactly in the sense of lacking information itself, but in order to say "this is great" you'd need some solid proof.

Example:
"I want to create a map about Goblins who use their technical inventions to fight Orcs."

This can turn out completely differently depending on who does it. If mr. Joined Yesterday want to create this it will likely be horrible but it might be a 5/5 if someone else does it. Who knows? edit: $hit, I noticed you are kinda new, I promise I meant no offense! I didn't mean to offend you. I meant more like literary joined yesterday anyway, but just to make sure I want to 'defend' myself.

However, if you present your idea in a professional-ish way with more info and explaining your idea properly people can likely see that you know that you're talking about and then give their judgement.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

First off, sorry I seemed to be rude. I tend to be like that sometimes.

Yes, felt a bit offended, but I also expect reactions like yours.

The second subject felt kinda pointless since there are multiple types of each map genre. Besides it's not connected to the idea itself. (I know I am picky)

Just wanted to point out that there are already similar maps.

I just felt that it was very vague, not exactly in the sense of lacking information itself, but in order to say "this is great" you'd need some solid proof.

Yes, this point is vague to due the fact there is no story at the moment. I was focused on the idea itself, as simple as I presented it.

Joined Yesterday want to create this it will likely be horrible but it might be a 5/5 if someone else does it. Who knows?

Yes, that is certainly true, I would never dare to say I can create a new GAIA or even sth. near that level.

I noticed you are kinda new, I promise I meant no offense! I didn't mean to offend you. I meant more like literary joined yesterday anyway

yes, indeed, I am really new to map-making and custom stuff and to be honest, I lost motivation in some way. Like in real-life, there are a few people that are able to kinda 'win'. I mean that there are few maps on a high level like from APproject and Zwiebelchen. I am so sad that I am not able to create a map on such a high standard, so I lose motivation because I know maps that I myself would create, they don't will be appreciated because 'they already exist' or as you said
There are 10 000 RPG maps out there but people still make more
So why should I even try to make sth new, in fact I am not able to create sth that will astonish people.

EDIT: well, Veritas said to me sth. like: ' no matter whether it is good or not, it is only important that you have fun creating a map'
and I lost that fun factor because it is frustrating to be confronted with 'newbie' and 'you cannot maybe an experienced creator can'

Xonok said:
It could work as an expansion strategy, but I don't think it's worth the effort of making it your fundamental strategy to have several maps.
Hm, okay, just hate those little limited maps, even 512x512 seems small too me in some way.

Although do note that by thoroughly using JNGPE and maybe some custom tools it is possible to quickly generate maps based on some rules.

Yeah, but for this you have to have knowledge about those tools and even with tutorials and help it is very difficult for people (=me) that don't know much about variables, triggers, hashtables, not even think of Jass...

EDIT:
However, if you present your idea in a professional-ish way with more info and explaining your idea properly people can likely see that you know that you're talking about and then give their judgement.

Nah, I just drop this plan, seems that I am not good enough. I am just gonna hang myself (*sarcasm*)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 21
Hm, okay, just hate those little limited maps, even 512x512 seems small too me in some way.

Yeah, but for this you have to have knowledge about those tools and even with tutorials and help it is very difficult for people (=me) that don't know much about variables, triggers, hashtables, not even think of Jass..

Well, I have never seen a quality map of 512x512 size. The only map that got anywhere close to this while staying decent is azeroth wars and even that map is fairly simplistic.

I believe it would be a huge pain for you to update several maps at a time manually. Nowadays I extensively use external script files, just so I could update code by resaving the map. I took this approach because it was way too hard to keep track of which map uses an updated system and which one doesn't.
It also increased the overall quality of my systems, because I forced myself to make them more handy to use and import without being able to change the source code for every small thing.

Making something big will definitely be complicated and so is developing a multi-map RPG.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Xonok said:
Making something big will definitely be complicated and so is developing a multi-map RPG.

Yes, indeed, I think I will start with sth. easy, small for now

Xonok said:
It also increased the overall quality of my systems, because I forced myself to make them more handy to use and import without being able to change the source code for every small thing.

Hu, did you shared them on Hive ? I found only three systems at your profile, not matching your description, I think.

Xonok said:
I believe it would be a huge pain for you to update several maps at a time manually

Well, that is a point I didn't think of....

Aeroblyctos said:
Simply have fun.

I will try to have, or to say, I do have, but I am not satisfied with the results.

Don't think about others or even compare your map to others' projects

Hm, but you will have to if you want to know whether your map is quality or just quantity. 'The Chosen Ones' look amazing, I would be glad if I can create one day sth. on that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.