• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

map file size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
i need more tips on how to keep decreasing map file size, maybe you guys can tell me something i dont

also, what makes models weight so much exactly?

Last edited:
Level 15
Hmm Don't pick HQ models they suck hard in the way of size . Just choose Normal models with lowered size .
Also to decrease map's file :
Use Protectors/Optimizers such as :
- Warcraft3 SlkOptimizer
- Vexorian's Optimizer
- Spazzler
- Widgtizer ( To decrease loading time ) .

Also Don't use wav files because AFAIK they are often bigger than mp3's

Level 21
i need more tips on how to keep decreasing map file size, maybe you guys can tell me something i dont

also, what makes models weight so much exactly?

Well, you can try out the widgetizer and Vexorian's map optimizer. (Note that you should back up your map before using either)
You can also use some programs to optimize models and textures at the cost of detail, I'm not sure which programs.

Level 21
I would not use Widgtizer. This wont decrease the map size.

It is true that its main effect is not reducing size and that it may even be better to not pretend it is.
What the widgetizer does is decrease loading times by turning object editor data into a cleaner format(slk) that the game uses more effectively.
However, if there is lots of ability data, then the SLKs might be considerably large.

Squishing models through Guesst's mdx squisher should help for model-heavy maps:
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?p=800246&fromattachment=800246

For audio-heavy maps, you should use audacity to reduce the bit-rate for better compression (and use mp3 if you don't need the sound to be 3d):
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
(heck, with the right codecs audacity will compress your wav files really well too)

Reduce the quality of textures if your BLP's take up a lot of file size. You can do that with BLP Lab (check our tools section).

After all that, you can use the optimizer of your choice to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.