• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] Map crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello, its been a while since i made maps, i recently opened up my old project to keep working on it. But since then, there are A LOT of errrors in the map which never was an issue before. in example, the DDS doesnt work anymore etc.

Any idea on how to fix this or what the problem could be?

Level 21
Reactivate the jass helper in the trigger editor (check first 2 - jass helper/vjass).
And keep an eye out that it stays activated, it sometimes seems to deactivate after opening several maps.

Level 7
Reactivate the jass helper in the trigger editor (check first 2 - jass helper/vjass).
And keep an eye out that it stays activated, it sometimes seems to deactivate after opening several maps.
Thank you very much, simple as that! :)

Level 7
Another question, it seems like A LOT of standard models doesnt quite work properly either. I get an error message saying "PopcornFX: Unable to load particle effect XXX, rebaking assets. Any idea of how to fix this?

Level 21
Standard models?
Which in particular? All non-imported models should work.
I know of 2 models which aren't working correctly anymore and it seems it's on Blizzard to fix the issue.

Level 7
Standard models?
Which in particular? All non-imported models should work.
I know of 2 models which aren't working correctly anymore and it seems it's on Blizzard to fix the issue.
1670832751757.png

A lot of the missles, abilities and buffs. All the units seem to work fine

Level 21
Huh, i've never seen it happen to that extent.
Are those standard missiles imported by any chance?

Level 7
Huh, i've never seen it happen to that extent.
Are those standard missiles imported by any chance?
No, they're the original ones. Most of them still work fine in game as far as i've noticed. Its almost as if 50-70% of the models stopped working while in the editor.

50-70% of the models stopped working while in the editor.
The "Try rebaking popcorn assets" warning that you are seeing is normal/expected for the HD mode. Blizzard released a patch that broke these, and it is happening to everyone who uses HD mode in the editor and not just you. The patch also affected something about the DDS parser.

So, all of these problems that you are having are not because anything is wrong with your computer, most likely. These are happening because ever since August 17th, 2022, Blizzard released a patch called Patch 1.33 (and more recently 1.34) that were written by the 2020 Reforged team before those guys were let go, allegedly. But even though the people who made the patch were let go, and so it will never be finished, the new guy at the office at Blizzard wanted to get the "i did it!" credit for adding a ranked ladder to the multiplayer, so he released this unfinished patch without testing these kinds of World Editor bugs.

People have reported these World Editor bugs in many places and on the forums repeatedly. The new patch is reported to also cause campaign crashes for some players, in particular in the Rexxar campaign. Someone in the know has reported on the forums that for any user experiencing the campaign crashes, then that user should set spell effects detail to low and never load from a mid-map game save.

However, despite all of these known issues, Blizzard cannot fix them because the new person who is rubber-stamping the patch and releasing them and ignoring bug reports on Public Test Realms and stuff is a new person who did not even break this stuff. They just basically grabbed the "unfinished next game version" from some backup in the office at Blizzard. So these bugs that you are having are the new Reforged, and will not be fixed, at least until next year (but possibly not ever). Another known bug is that "Advanced > Gameplay Constants" option in the World Editor will crash the entire World Editor if you try to edit the Damage/Armor tables.

I read a post on the forums or Discord somewhere by an account that I believe (allegedly) is associated with one of the former Reforged employees who was let go in 2020 who still plays the game, and for those people who still enjoy the game and play it (not current Blizzard employee(s)) this guy said that when he makes his map(s) on Reforged now, he uses a backup of Reforged Patch 1.32.10 for the World Editor then plays the map(s) that he creates in that World Editor on the new Patch 1.34 live client. That way, he can have a stable world editor that will work better.

If you want to try to do that, obviously you will have two obstacles to overcome:
  • Downloading the 1.32.10 world editor requires finding a copy of it online, as Blizzard Entertainment does not officially supporting downloading old versions. Or, if you're like me and already knew the new patch would break the game before it released because of the Public Test Realm and how they do not fix bugs on there, then you could copy your 1.32.10 installation before updating Warcraft III: Reforged on the computer.
  • Even if you had last year's Reforged World Editor that has less bugs, any map that you save with the World Editor you have now will automatically convert to the new format and cannot convert back unless you use a 3rd party tool to convert the map back to the old format. If you find yourself stuck on this problem, it looks like the Map Adapter tool here might be capable of converting a Patch 1.33 or Patch 1.34 map into the Patch 1.32.10 format, but I have never personally used this tool so you may need to investigate further to see if it really works for your use case.

Level 21
On the gameplay constants crash: You can still edit the attack/defense tables if you shift double-click.
This way you don't know the corresponding names of the attack/defense you are editing, which is why i keep a table at hand:

defense table:
small
medium
large
fortified
normal
hero
divine
unarmoed

attack table:
spells
normal
pierce
siege
magic
chaos
hero

So yet another workaround. Let's hope nothing more critical gets bricked next patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.