• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Map crashed, can't open now, RIP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
So I was in the process of making a little spell kit for a Hero to go along with this model:

And as I copied an existing trigger in the trigger editor, the UI went all funky and parts were missing, then the map crashed.

Now I can't reopen the map as it crashes during the load triggers process.

Any ideas on what to do? I attached the map below as well as an error I get if I try to "Reopen" the map through the error reporter.

Attachments

• Anubis God of the Dead.w3m
    4.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Error.png
    Error.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 19
Level 29
I'm going to assume that your problem about funky UI is that everything becomes a plain green textures or something that caused the UI to be messed up. It's obvious because there is a high chance your models and triggers are literally broken, but it could be caused by the recent patches that literallly breaks everything related to World Editor. As Retera said:
This patch sat in the office storage from 2020 until 2022. On August 17th of 2022, new people at Activision published a derivative work of the Patch 1.33 project, overwriting the Warcraft 3 Reforged game with the experimental and unfinished version. Their goal is not your custom mapping hobby; their goal is likely to check off the box of "Ranked Ladder play" legally (an incomplete ladder had existed in the Patch 1.33 reported to have existed in 2020, based on a blog post you can find on Blizzard's official site that showed a Reforged ladder back then despite the ladder never releasing until 2022).

Originally there were severe game breaking issues with the patch that they pushed out. We knew this in advance; earlier in 2022 there had been a Public Test Realm for the Patch 1.33 and this made it obvious the patch would break a lot of things and reduce game stability and reduce World Editor stability. The solution from Activision, to avoid all the bugs reports from the Public Test Realm, was apparently to switch to a Private Test Realm and turn off the public one. From my standpoint, it felt like this was a move to avoid receiving bug reports that there was no incentive to fix because they didn't want to bother to actually keep the full scope of Reforged running.

I was sharing my understanding of these events as best I could gather it to be, and painting a pretty negative picture of Activision's handling of Reforged after they released this thing on August 17th, 2022. But this spring after the holidays, the fixed one of the most game breaking file cache system issues that was wrecking everything. So, they are not totally against fixing the major problems. But there is probably not a financial motivator for this company to fix your issue. You could try to be vocal about it online, and hope for the best. That might work.

But more likely is the future where you have to make do with what you got. And that means that in order to open or update your map, you can either:
1. Use a backup of the Reforged World Editor that you saved in advance prior to August 17th, 2022 by knowing from the Public Test Realm that Activision would break the game. Personally, this is the solution that I have been using.
2. Ask someone who has #1 set up, or use some other program, and rip out of your map whichever files cause it to fail to load. Determining which files cause it to fail is probably a matter of guess-and-check, but since the problem is Activision and not you, your original map files from before the patch are still 100% intact, and it is simply the new patched game system that fails to open them properly.
But what exactly happened? As you can see on the attachment (the picture of error), the problem is pretty obvious. It's not relating to the World Editor (nor the maps), but more likely the Windows itself.
The worst scenario about this problem is that you'll have to completely reinstall the whole game completely from the scratch. I think there is a high chance your game was infected by the viruses.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Well, everything still works besides this one map. I'm pretty sure I just corrupted the map data. It would make sense since it crashed when I was copy pasting a trigger and now it crashes during the load trigger process. Isn't there some kind of tool for extracting map data?

Isn't there some kind of tool for extracting map data?
By the way, yes, any standard mpq editor can open w3x and w3m files if you tell it to. They are simply MPQ archives with a different extension. Then you could edit or restore files and put them in a new archive. There are probably a lot of tutorials about that, because it is generally the same or nearly the same archive format that it has been for more than 20 years.

Level 20
Now I can't reopen the map as it crashes during the load triggers process.
I had the same issue a few days ago. Setting my editor preferences to SD graphics fixed the issue, i.e. I did File -> Preferences -> General -> Asset Mode -> SD* and could load my map properly afterwards.

The fact that IcemanBo was able to open your map with reforged graphics disabled suggests that this might have worked for you, too.
Glad that you have solved your issue by now, just writing this for the next user to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.