• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Manor in the Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
A manor in the woods. The idea emerged from the inspiration of my old forest terrains and the city of Minas Tirith. At first I wanted to make a gigantic cliff behind the castle but thought this way it would look better. Anyway, I'm open to hear your comments and suggestions. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Castle1.jpg
    Castle1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Castle2.jpg
    Castle2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Castle3.jpg
    Castle3.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 218
  • Castle4.jpg
    Castle4.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 194
  • Castle5.jpg
    Castle5.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 203
  • Castle6.jpg
    Castle6.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Level 24
Yep, the 4th screen defiantly is the best. Doesn't really seam to be any fog though. Try adding, or changing if you already have some the fog to the map, and see if you can get a better feeling with it.

However the atmosphere in the 4th screenshot really looks nice, which is why it is my favourite.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
The fog is dark red (1 to 35000) because most of the screens are from a great distance and a stronger fog would ruin them. If I post a pic with no fog whatsoever you will see the differences.

Anyway I see you like the night versions of the screenies. I will see to it that I add more...

EDIT: Screenshots updated with additional fog effects and a new technique used to create the sky.

Last edited:
Level 34
4th is still the best. The manor is too colorful! =P

I think the fog is pretty good, I don't think there is much wrong with this. I find your terrains are all very colorful!

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Well they are small houses with small people inside so... ;P

No seriously, I thought it would look ok, and that I could blame perspective for the grass' size compared to the houses. I guess it didn't work out the way I tried. Still could work for bushes though...

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
The sky came form the Glue Screen model of the Orc expansion campaign (The place where you see Rexxarr and Misha in the Barrens and the night sky behind them is full of stars and shit).
So basically I made a doodad using that model and carefully adjusted it, so that every time I make a screenshot, the "sky plane" synchronized with my current camera.
This doesn't work with in-game screens as far as I know, just the ones taken form WE.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Many of those models are actually custom. If I limited the castle to use only wc3 doodads it would be awfully plain. As for finding other custom things: I think these were put in the UTM for a reason. They blend best with the wc3 environment and the other doodads.

Level 34
I think painfully is correct. You can't/don't agree, so we will just get off that topic.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Like I said, I don't think I have the time/will to fix it right now. I will probably revise my work later, but for now, I'm back to the drawing board in search for ideas. I will take into consideration your comments and crits (fog, trees, and so on and so forth) in my next terrains. Thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.