1. Are you planning to upload your awesome icon to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 8, 2018: The rules for the Icon Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Malice

Submitted by HappyTauren
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Guess what's up with this icon. There's something special in how it's made. And it's obvious from the image.
Contents

Malice (Icon)

Reviews
San
San
Created with photo manipulation with author's own image, minimal efforts can be seen with the working progress that has been told by author. Icon looks unfitting with other War3 resources but it meets the required quality to be approved.
  1. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Im assuming you drew this but could you just post a big pic

2. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, the thing is, I didn't draw anything. Also, I accidentally saved the reduced size image, so I will post you the image I based this off instead. This is a cropped picture of my eye that I based this image off. I removed the camera reflection in my iris, cut that part into a separate layer, colorized it red, then upped the contrast to insanity.

If this is not enough of a proof, I can recreate this icon entirely from the picture I have posted (so I'd also have a high res version of it again).

Attached Files:

3. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Lol, why you're turning your body into the icons? XD

4. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    it ocurred to me that it would be fun to do. At the same time, I already got bored and won't update anything so moderation is up to what's currently there.

I sometimes start trying to make an icon or two, but I fail because I am terrible at 2D.

I am a programmer first, a musician second, and a 2D artist... never.

5. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So ok, how much freehand did you do on this you think? I'm just trying to figure some things out, if you did more than 50% I can approve this. I obviously know you used that photo of yourself but I'm just asking.

6. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, in reality, all of the image is actually retouched, and most of it is brushed over in a 1024x1024 image, since I used brushes coupled with smudge to outline parts I wanted to keep in the image, and to remove those I didn't. Also used them to colorize the iris to the desired color and create outlines so that things actually stand out (as you can see from the photo, it doesn't really have any outlines). Then I just applied contrast and sharpness to make it look better in wc3/64x64 form.

So, even if it is based on the image, it is technically way more than 50% freehand in terms of how much I painted over it in the end. The truth is, that I didn't "draw" this per se. The "drawing" is a photo, and it's then just painted over.

7. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    If image was made by any other way than drawing on empty canvas, it should be put in description. Drawing over photos to get final results is considered image tracing which is not an allowed practice if one wants his icon to be approved.

8. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So you're just saying, if I actually just lied that this icon was created by freehand drawing on an empty canvas, it can be approved, but considering the current circumstances, it can't?

9. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Well, that'd be a sad case because staff aren't idiots. For me it is obvious how image was made and rules are here to be followed. What would happen if one would lie about icon being his? Well, no penalty from my side, I never given a single warning point. They would simply become a new material for staff discussion after which practical action based on the conclusion emerges.

10. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's fitting for you to say that as a staff member, of course. But it is also fitting for me to question the rules, if I do not see them following any sort of a logical sense. So, why would an icon, that looks approvable (according to another moderator, who merely asked me for proof of this being freehand), not be accepted because
    • I personally took an image (of myself)
    • Brushed over certain parts to create different highlights/shadows in areas and add a different color
    • Used a filter to make it look better in wc3/low res
    So, what's the purpose of icon section, again? To be a 2D gallery where something being freehand is more important than something looking good? I based this icon on 2D data that I had produced myself - since I took the photo using my camera, of my own eye. I didn't CnP someone else's stuff.

How is this relevant to this icon at all? This icon is mine, I created it. Through taking a photo + image manipulation + a bunch of retouching.

Also, I really don't care about my icons being approved at any rate. But I am finding the rules and mechanics of approval for icons to be particularly, hilariously, jarring.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  11. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I suggest you to read this, it will give an answer to your wondering. If you find something stated to lack ''logical sense'', you are free to start a thread in proper forum.

12. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Those same rules once had a paragraph stating that, if an icon is found to be useful, it can still be approved :) But someone carefully edited that out. Or it was applied to skins, only.

13. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So what is the verdic here? because im not honestly sure.

14. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Let's keep the verdict for after people with an authority review my complaint in the staff contact, where I've in detail explained my gripes with how the 2D art sections are treated on THW.

15. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Fair enough

16. Darkfang

Darkfang

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Ralle ??

The rules should be amplified to allow certain exceptions under X circumstances cause well, they are flat as F and jarring, is true, also, could PDN files be allowed to show as JPG in the hive and be uploaded in the pastebin? Im tired of mods asking me for proof of my work as if I was a pirate.

17. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh boy, I thought only the map section had nazi rules about how the submission is created.
    Thanks for enlightening me.

18. San

San

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Created with photo manipulation with author's own image, minimal efforts can be seen with the working progress that has been told by author.
    Icon looks unfitting with other War3 resources but it meets the required quality to be approved.