• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making the world a better place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Do you think it's a futile thing to attempt to make the world a better place?
Do you think everyone should at least try to do so,and if so,what are some practical ways a person could do so.

I personally feel we should all at least try,or even just try to be a better person.It's worth a shot,and if a bunch of people can make a difference,even if not huge
Do a good deed or two a day,help someone in need,offer some advice,make some people laugh.

I personally want to help as many people as i can and want to cheer people up and make them laugh or at least smile.
I can never change the world entirely,but at least i can change someone's day or life.

Level 22
"what are some practical ways a person could do so."
Stop telling other people what they can and can't do.

Anyway, that's a good thing to pursue, just don't go astray and become the 'law'. There's a law here now that prohibits gossiping. What a shit world.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
"Someone's dream tells much about the person, doesn't it? Should the person be willing to tell the truth, it shows one's actual personality and one's inner self.
Very well.

I'm mostly living my dream, actually. I've got a good job that one I like a lot and second makes me earn a good amount of money. My colleagues and I are coming along extremely good, I'm doing a good job, customers are happy, I'm improving and gettin promoted... As I said, all is good. For me and the people close to me, that is.

I had a more complex dream once, about making the world a better place, fighting injustice and that stuff, but both the world and humanity are giant bitches. I lost my idealism when I faced the truth: Shit can't be saved.
By now, I don't give a damn if the world falls apart one day - as long as I don't have to see it with my own eyes. Let humanity and its politicans destroy it all, I don't care anymore.
Call me egoistical, but MY life is a joy, I'm not going to ruin it with thinking about these things, they don't deserve my attention." - Shar Dundred 2015, still accurate in 2019

People are self-fulfilling prophecies. If they think being a bystander is the only role they can fulfill, there's a good chance that's how they'll remain, because of the chances they don't take.

I'm wide-eyed. I think it's worth believing in something. And I believe there's something better than this. I don't think it's futile to try.

Well, indeed it's worth a shot. But you can't make the world a better place IMO, definitely at none of the centuries if you ever were, a mystery. There are always some fools. Perhaps it's about more time.

The possibility of this might be far more in the past (in my own region). We've always seen some events and some humans (?) at the entire world that made our mouth open. It's just the humanity, the decisions they made, the good the bad.

But we can only live, in a better way.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
The best thing any human can do is to die.
Humans are slowly ruining the earth and has been doing for quite some time.

No other species are cutting down rainforests and hunting down specific animals to the point of extinction.
We're also mining certain resources of which there is a limited quantity of. Oil comes to mind

But I do not have the guts nor will to die so I guess it is futile.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Do you think it's a futile thing to attempt to make the world a better place?
One thing's for sure, there will always be opposites. So, yeah, whatever you do will have a counter. As Isaac Newton said:
Newton-Quotes-6-1024x508.jpg
The game is to at least balance the scales if not able to surpass with the "good".
I can never change the world entirely,but at least i can change someone's day or life.
Most times starting small isn't enough especially if you continue that way.
Stop telling other people what they can and can't do.
Yeah, tell them what they should and shouldn't :D

Rules/laws have been made to ensure some social stability. However, it all depends on the bigger picture, the real game played by the real players, not us the pawns.

The best thing any human can do is to die.
Humans are slowly ruining the earth and has been doing for quite some time.
Without humanity there would be no universal consciousness, at least not that probable. Without humanity, Earth will go to waste anyway (well, of course, you're referring to life in this discussion) as the Sun will deplete of its sustaining energy and no elephant, nor dolphin or any monkey will even have the idea of colonizing other worlds to ensure the survival of current life.
Also, if you think so, why are you still living or are you waiting for the moment to detonate humanity to extinction?
No other species are cutting down rainforests and hunting down specific animals to the point of extinction.
We're also mining certain resources of which there is a limited quantity of. Oil comes to mind
Well, that's quite general. Not all human beings are so otherwise there would be no more of those things you've mentioned.
But I do not have the guts nor will to die so I guess it is futile.
Your subconscious is torturing you then.
quote-a-man-can-do-what-he-wants-but-not-want-what-he-wants-arthur-schopenhauer-26-19-37.jpg

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
That is a very biased way of seeing things, that the earth is a waste without humans. But whatever floats your boat.
I do not really believe in a greater meaning or anything, I just feel like humans are ruining the planet they inhabit before we have another planet to move to, sounds pretty stupid to me.

And yes, we all are. We almost all of us take the bus or drive a car. Which is fueled by oil most of the time (electric cars are not mainstream yet)
We may or may not support companies that cut down more and more rainforest. Many unknowingly no doubt, I never research where a company get their materials from or how they were produced. I just buy products I like. So I am a part of the problem.
Once again, I do not really care about the forest or the animals that live there but the rate we consume materials is just growing which is not a good sign in the long run since unless something changes we will run out of supplies.

So no, I am not depressed. Just pointing out how flawed humans are and compared to the other life forms we are pretty much the only one that seem intent on destroying ourselves.
To me it is just interesting if anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
That is a very biased way of seeing things, that the earth is a waste without humans. But whatever floats your boat.
Without humanity (or sentient intelligent beings) bias would not even exist.
And yes, we all are. We almost all of us take the bus or drive a car. Which is fueled by oil most of the time (electric cars are not mainstream yet)
What would you expect, to live like in caves in the 21st century? We are currently using the easier and more reliable resources. Cometh a time when oil and other pollutants will cease their value. I am not saying there isn't a lot of bad stuff going on but you're covering the good stuff with it almost making it non-existent. Be grateful we have antibiotics, proper plumbing and internet. No? Then, live in a forest and protect it. No? Well, then if you aren't going to do anything about what's happening in the world, at least passive-aggressively, then accept it. It's no use to resist. Doesn't help anyone, especially you.
Once again, I do not really care about the forest or the animals that live there but the rate we consume materials is just growing which is not a good sign in the long run since unless something changes we will run out of supplies.
Ah, so the thing is not Earth, it's humans not being careful with Terra for themselves. You should take action somehow, do anything that's in your power if you care. Words on a site like this won't quite come to any positive results.
So no, I am not depressed. Just pointing out how flawed humans are and compared to the other life forms we are pretty much the only one that seem intent on destroying ourselves.
Well, there are times when some animals overbreed and then their numbers will be reduced because of lack of food. Many animals have gone extinct and it was not because of humanity. Animals also play nature's game but with more reservation because of their limiting factor: instincts. Maybe, just maybe with eugenics and/or advanced AI humanity will be able to shift the balance to a more constructive and protective way of life than nowadays' matter over mind abundance. Yeah, those people you speak of have instinct disorders, well on the unrestrained side and not on that of the reserved, sadly.

Level 22
Yeah, tell them what they should and shouldn't :D

Rules/laws have been made to ensure some social stability. However, it all depends on the bigger picture, the real game played by the real players, not us the pawns.

I wasn't directing it at WhiteFang, but it's my fault that I didn't clarify. Still, I'm an asshole for saying that, I won't try to excuse my shit opinion. I also don't think that rules and laws are there to ensure stability, I think it's something people with power enforce to gauge the obedience of their subjects. I'm not saying they are bad though, I'm saying I don't like it, which is just a shit opinion by a shit old man (me).

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I wasn't directing it at WhiteFang, but it's my fault that I didn't clarify.
I know it was meant in general. I joked about it.
I also don't think that rules and laws are there to ensure stability, I think it's something people with power enforce to gauge the obedience of their subjects.
Everything can be abused but without law enforcement, everyone would do as they pleased and it'll come down to who's stronger or more powerful than the other would take everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.