• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Laughing whenever feeling a negative emotion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Is that normal, or is that just me? I don't typically feel sadness, anger, or anything else anymore. If I even begin to feel them, I begin to laugh and just feel happy, lol....

When I'm watching a horror, or a soap opera, or being confronted with a terrible situation, I break out in laughter every single time. At a funeral, I'd be laughing the whole time (I wouldn't even be able to contain my happiness). When being confronted with a lot of pain, like a shot or surgery, I laugh non stop for days on end.

So I was wondering if other people have ever had that happen to them or if they know anyone like that? I typically review myself as very unique when it comes to emotions and dealing with other people, and I hope the above shows you why : P. What I do is far from the norm, I'm just questioning how far from the norm it really is, or if my case is not at all special and everyone breaks out in laughter whenever something bad happens. What's even odder is I will be crying and laughing at the same time in very sad situations, but I feel no sadness. In fact, a lot of the time this occurs, I feel absolutely nothing, I'm just laughing and crying at the same time (looking very jovial).

So, has anyone else ever experienced that or seen someone else experience that? You think it's good for a person to be able to enjoy all emotion, whether it be bad or good? Keep in mind I don't feel stress either, I just start laughing again. I almost enjoy suffering and etc more than I enjoy happiness because I laugh so hard with any bad emotion, but I feel pretty much neutral with anything happy. Inverted much?

Level 31
->Lol, I do that out of frustration

entirely different from me ; P.

Heh, I do it because I choose to. I'm a master of controlling my own emotion, so I can make myself feel whatever I want. I once performed a test. I brought on intense sadness and then I broke out into laughter upon observing my own success and feeling it to begin with ; P. I put the laughter down and felt the sadness, then I brought the laughter up, then I put the sadness down, etc.

My conclusion was that I chose to, whenever I feel anything I don't want to feel, just laugh instead. I can stop it whenever I like, but I choose not to because I like it this way ^_^. Who wouldn't prefer to be extremely jovial over feeling sadness, stress, or hate, or w/e? It's a much nicer way to live.

So my thoughts are really pondering if anyone else chose to live this way or not : ).

edit
I'm thinking that perhaps I should be an actor since I can control emotions like this.. I can put myself into any situation and feel, quite literally, what the person in that situation would feel. I can also give myself a history, etc, changing my entire persona.. yea, I think I'd make a good actor >.<.

Last edited:
Level 11
i laughed when i was weed eating the yard and i hit some doodoo and it got all over me and in my mouth... i was laughing for some reason, but i was also super angry!!! still makes me laugh today, glad i wasn't wearing anything nice :D

Level 10
Is that normal, or is that just me? I don't typically feel sadness, anger, or anything else anymore. If I even begin to feel them, I begin to laugh and just feel happy, lol....

When I'm watching a horror, or a soap opera, or being confronted with a terrible situation, I break out in laughter every single time. At a funeral, I'd be laughing the whole time (I wouldn't even be able to contain my happiness). When being confronted with a lot of pain, like a shot or surgery, I laugh non stop for days on end.

So I was wondering if other people have ever had that happen to them or if they know anyone like that? I typically review myself as very unique when it comes to emotions and dealing with other people, and I hope the above shows you why : P. What I do is far from the norm, I'm just questioning how far from the norm it really is, or if my case is not at all special and everyone breaks out in laughter whenever something bad happens. What's even odder is I will be crying and laughing at the same time in very sad situations, but I feel no sadness. In fact, a lot of the time this occurs, I feel absolutely nothing, I'm just laughing and crying at the same time (looking very jovial).

So, has anyone else ever experienced that or seen someone else experience that? You think it's good for a person to be able to enjoy all emotion, whether it be bad or good? Keep in mind I don't feel stress either, I just start laughing again. I almost enjoy suffering and etc more than I enjoy happiness because I laugh so hard with any bad emotion, but I feel pretty much neutral with anything happy. Inverted much?

I don't necessarily laugh in these situations, however, I DO smile during most of them. When getting told off, I smile. When telling someone off, I smile. It's just a protection mechanism for coping with emotion, which in itself is related to survival instinct/stratergy, I suppose.

Level 18
At a funeral, I'd be laughing the whole time (I wouldn't even be able to contain my happiness).

I'm a master of controlling my own emotion, so I can make myself feel whatever I want.

Sounds contradictory.

Anyway, I do know the 'I can control my own emotions idea, but I have my doubts about the trustworthiness of it. It might just as well be that funerals don't affect your emotions that much. For horror movies I do have to say that I often find them to be funny more than scary because I find it hard to take them serious.

Level 22
My conclusion was that I chose to, whenever I feel anything I don't want to feel, just laugh instead. I can stop it whenever I like, but I choose not to because I like it this way ^_^. Who wouldn't prefer to be extremely jovial over feeling sadness, stress, or hate, or w/e? It's a much nicer way to live.

I suppose that you could experience happiness without experiencing sadness, but you wouldn't really know what happiness was.

There is no happiness without sadness. ;P

You know, you remind me of this black comedy called ''Adam's Apple'' (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418455/). You should definitely check it out.

Level 31
->Sounds contradictory.

ehh... not quite =). If you are feeling epic sadness, you could easily change that into epic happiness. It's easier to redirect an already present emotion than to create an emotion out of nothing or to redirect an emotion + amplify it. Then again, it's rather easy to do both of them. Also, it's harder to go for 0 emotion whatsoever than to just redirect the emotion into something else.

What I've come to learn is that each emotion is associated with an area of the body. You can take a thought and move it around to change the emotion attached to it.

->I suppose that you could experience happiness without experiencing sadness, but you wouldn't really know what happiness was.

I suppose... what I find interesting is that with our capability of abstract thought, we can take things we already know of and have experienced and piece them together to simulate things we've never experienced ^_-.

->It's just a protection mechanism for coping with emotion, which in itself is related to survival instinct/stratergy, I suppose.

I wouldn't call it a defense mechanism, but I think that the ability can be subconsciously used as a defense mechanism.

Level 14

I hope i got it right but...
You can turn bad feelings into laugh
= You lucky bastard!

Well, i usually laugh hysterically for my self, when i face an ultimate fail, like, i break my brand new 300€ phone, or (based on true story) buy expensive CO2 air pistol and when it arrives, i see that it's crap and idiots in the store have fucked up the scope.

Level 36
A human being should not be able, nor willing, to control his/her emotions as well as you are telling us you are. And to that point, you disgust me.

fussiler1 brought up a very valid example of what I mean:

''Hahahaha! My wife died.''

It doesn't sound freaky, it sounds disturbing, and if whenever one could do this to the death of one he/she loves, I personally believe a mental institution should be sought out next. The thing about emotions, is that in some cases they dont only apply to what you feel and what is best for you, they also have something to do with respect. If you are in the funeral of the dead sister of a friend of yours, and you stand besides your friend laughing your ass of, then that is complete and utter disrespect towards that friend. Something to think about.

All in all, I find your proclaimed control to be highly disturbing.

P.s: Damn you Billy for doing the comparation I was going to do! :p

Level 31
I hope i got it right but...
You can turn bad feelings into laugh
= You lucky bastard!

You got it right ^_^, lol. I can really turn any feeling into any other feeling, stop feelings, amplify feelings, or make feelings out of nothing. It took years of practice ^_^, prob since I was 12 or something (making 9 years?). I still practice at it to this day ; D. I hope to some day be able to make control instant.

lol, I also don't find it disturbing or disrespectful in any way ^_-. One thing though is I wouldn't actually care enough to go to a funeral of family or a best friend or anyone =/=. I don't care enough to celebrate holidays, I don't care about family or friends, and etc, lol. But then again, if you look at it, a person able to control their own emotions wouldn't actually care about anything in the first place since any semblance of care they have is artificial.

Really, if everything a person felt was entirely artificial and every desire they had was artificial, in truth, they'd be entirely empty now wouldn't they? They wouldn't actually desire anything or care about anything. The only thing that they might have is hope that some day they might lose control again and experience something real. When it gets to the point that a person can't do anything but control their emotions, they lose a measure of freedom as well as their humanity. It's a fair trade, but one that a lot would consider to be not worth it. There is always balance. If you want to be able to control your emotion, you must give up the capability to feel anything other than what you choose to feel.

So, would you think a person able to control their emotions would truly be lucky?

Now I'm not at the above point yet, but I'm guessing that I'll be at that point within another 5-10 years. The only thing I auto do instantly now is redirect emotion into another emotion.

Last edited:
Level 31
Honestly you sound like your full of shit dude, your the same guy who tried to convince me that you divine the future in your dreams.

Eh, believe what you like. Also, I never ever said I could divine future in dreams ; P. I used to try to predict future aye, but predicting the future is the same as trying to guess what'll happen at the end of the story given the characters and etc.

Anyways, apparently controlling emotion is very far from the norm o-o.

So, I'd like to raise another interesting point. What I've discovered while bringing up emotions and so on is that firstly, every emotion is associated with a specific area of the body. This could be the normal for all or this could be psychological (trying to make emotion seem more solid or w/e). Furthermore, I noticed that each emotion has a specific direction to it (I tested very similar feelings, like anxiety and stress. Both were in the same position, but anxiety pointed down and stress pointed up). This again could be similar to everyone or could be entirely psychological to differentiate further between emotions.

Any thoughts?

Level 31
Yup, except that I don't even need memories or anything to begin with. I can just think "feel this" and boom ^_-.

That's why I keep wondering if I wouldn't make a fantastic actor.

But anyways, so I guess what I do isn't as abnormal as people think it to be (including myself) ; P. It's just, I guess when it gets to a certain point then even the emotions you feel in day to day life are entirely artificial ; \.

Anywho, tx Billy

Level 19
lol, I also don't find it disturbing or disrespectful in any way ^_-. One thing though is I wouldn't actually care enough to go to a funeral of family or a best friend or anyone =/=. I don't care enough to celebrate holidays, I don't care about family or friends, and etc, lol. But then again, if you look at it, a person able to control their own emotions wouldn't actually care about anything in the first place since any semblance of care they have is artificial.

Have you ever experienced such a thing? For example, if your mother would be raped, mutilated and then murdered, wouldn't you care?

If so, that's pretty sick.

Level 31
->Have you ever experienced such a thing? For example, if your mother would be raped, mutilated and then murdered, wouldn't you care?

I've experienced such things and I was required to go to those things (I found them boring and just wanted to get out of there).

If my mother was raped, mutilated, or murdered, I wouldn't even care enough to give it a second thought. I'd say something like "that's nice" and move on, and I might chuckle at my own witty remark.

I can't even get the concept of why people are so attached to their parents, or their mother, or w/e. I've never been like that and I never will be like that =/=. When it comes to detachment and uncaring, I'm pro.

Another thing is I don't ever miss anyone, no matter how close to me they are, even if they are gone for years -.-.

But this isn't emotional control, but detachment. There's no point in controlling emotion if there is none there in the first place is there? : ).

Last edited:
Level 31
I don't feel any negative emotion in those situations.

Tx all, you helped me figure out now why I laugh at what people consider to be terrible situations ;p. I find them absolutely funny.

So perhaps I'm not at the point I thought I was at for controlling emotions. The 4-5 second delays in my little tests prove that point very well ;p.

Tx again all.

Last edited:
Level 10
->It's just a protection mechanism for coping with emotion, which in itself is related to survival instinct/stratergy, I suppose.

I wouldn't call it a defense mechanism, but I think that the ability can be subconsciously used as a defense mechanism.

BB's Case Study: Why It's a Defence Mechanism
Let's say in some conflict, there's 2 parties - the attacker, and the defender. The attacker is defined as the agressor, the one who lusts for negative emotion. To fufill this lust, he strives to draw negative emotion to the defender, the victim/target in the conflict. Now, since the attacker thrives of such negative emotion, if the defender shows signs of negative emotion the attacker may attack the defender further, to draw more negative emotion out of the defender (i.e., the defender is seen as weak and more emotion can be drawn from the defender). However, if the defender shows positive emotion instead of negative emotion (positive emotion without being borderline ignorant) there would be no fuel for the attacker to attack the defender (unless he's mentally unstable, anger levels reaching infinite), the attacker wouldn't be satisfied and will probably leave the defender alone to find another target/victim that will show negative emotion.

By the way, YOU DO NOT control emotion. You hide it, conceal it. One day, if your ability to conceal emotion is tested to its limits and this causes it to surpass the technical optinum, you are going to go crazy, absolutely insane in the membrane. I wouldn't want to be around you if that occurs, all the negative emotion you have concealed all these years will burst just like a bubble, and all the trapped emotion will be released in some glorious rage that can't be good for anyone. :goblin_boom:

If my mother was raped, mutilated, or murdered, I wouldn't even care enough to give it a second thought. I'd say something like "that's nice" and move on, and I might chuckle at my own witty remark.

Ummmm even if it's not your mother, rape is not O.K.

Also "that's nice" isn't exactly witty, you can be more creative then that

Level 31
Eh, on my part no bs. But anyways, again tx all for helping me to figure this out.

And I don't buy the theory on concealing ;p.

Anyways, I've pondered more and more and maybe it's not that I feel despicable things funny, but rather I get excited about them as they are abnormal.

But anyways, we've already determined 2 things.

1. It's not abnormal for someone to manipulate their emotions. This is done by actors to give more realistic performances.

2. I laugh at terrible things probably because I find them exciting.

Perhaps many people find tragic things exciting as those things are out of the norm. I guess many people laugh at truly terrible things, but people laugh for different reasons = ).

Status
Not open for further replies.