• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making custom Water tile that functions like any other tile in the wc3 editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hey so I'm looking at another system that I want to try to create which is to make water a terrain palette rather than an effect that requires you make a ledge or do a trick with the ground.

Now as far as I've determined you cannot have an animated tile HOWEVER I'm exploring the option of splats or possibly the use of a base blue tile except with a series of animated water effects over top. I'm thinking either a dummy unit or something else to create the effect.

The reason I'd like to follow this is I have hero spells and effects that I want to build to react around water but I don't want to go through the headache of making all custom areas of water, especially because I can't place them naturally. However, what I've come up with is using this: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/jass-resources-412/snippet-tiledefinition-259347/.

Essentially I map out each terrain coordinate and create a properly proportioned dummy unit on any tile that is returned as a water tile, and store that location. In doing this, i just check the tile type and remove/add the dummy unit when it detects a terrain change to and from this tile.

Thoughts? Is there an easier way? If so, how?

Level 17
dunno how far this will help but making the entire map water then raising parts into shallow water/land increases your options somewhat.

or you could just slap water doodads everywhere, like some edit of waterfalls or the waves thing

There is a model called waterplane.mdx is UTM. He can use that.

Also, anyone knows what's the texture path for the normal Warcraft III water? I want to replace it ;p It's so un-cool.

Also, anyone knows what's the texture path for the normal Warcraft III water? I want to replace it ;p It's so un-cool.
There is not "one" water texture. It's a bundle of 45 images over a texture animation cycling through these images.

The filepaths for one type of water are:
ReplaceableTextures\Water\A_Water00.blp
to
ReplaceableTextures\Water\A_Water44.blp

Status
Not open for further replies.