• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making a TD and..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Making buttons is EXTREMELY confusing

([x]'s mean a check, like I did it already)

I have it like this:

I Got my custom builder. [x]
I got my custom turret. [x]

I try and get my Custom Turret to be built by my custom builder, and I made a special Build button (like how theres Advanced/Basic buildings with an SCV, but its only a basic.)

I don't know how to get it so the Build button shows the Build the Custom Tower icon.

This is so confusing..

I got the Build List available, but now it stays highlighted as if it was being clicked, and i cant do anything with it, i cant click it or get it to do anything.. help?

Last edited:
Level 2
have you filled out the "command type" data for the button by editing the command card?

if your building doesnt appear in the list you need to create/add the ability to the builder as well

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Unlike WC3 where the icons were automatically generated in the command interface, you have to manually create and arrange all command buttons.

Basically, you can make up to 4 command displays, each with 5*3 buttons available or something crazy. 1 is always the one that is displayed when you select a unit.
You need to make a button an extension to lets say 2 and in that you need to add your bulding buttons and then link them to the buildings.

Its all about linking in SC2 data.

Basically for a unit to be buildable, it needs the actor+unit and a button to represent it. As buttons are just interface graphic, you can reuse the same one for multiple units.

Eg you could have a photon cannon and all its upgrades share one button.

Level 2
like i said in my first reply, you've not hooked up the buttons to do anything, as an example i've hooked the "build bunker" button to classic tower.

load up the command card editor and look there to see what i've changed

(small note, theres currently a bug where after you select the "ability" the "ability command" is filled in for you, but unless you set it manually it wont be remembered when you close the window

Attachments

• GalaxyTDTerrain.rar
    4.8 MB · Views: 41
Level 4
To add a build command.

Things to do.

First
Make your Custom Tower (the on that is to be built)
Make your Custom Builder (the one who will create the Tower.)

Now, to add the Tower to the Builders command card you have to do the following.

Find the ABILITY (SCV - Build, or Probe -Build, or Zerg Morph) depending on the race building graphic you want it to build with. Duplicate OR alter it. depending on your need. (Do not check any other of the items in the Duplicate window as you wont need duplicates of the units themselves, the movers or the build effect. The defaults will work just fine.)

In your Duplicated or Altered Ability, find the Field 'Info+' and open the field editor. You will see a list of the buildings this ability is allowing to be built.

Remove all of them for your custom builder. (you actually have to right click and MODIFY each entry, and delete the items under 'requirements' and 'unit' to have a unit be removed completely.

Then simply add a new unit. This is also where you set how much it will cost and how long it will take to build and even its requirements.

Add your Custom Tower to this list.

Ok. now that the ability is done, we need a button for that specific tower.

Open the BUTTON data editor.
Duplicate or Alter the 'Build (Structure Here)' button, or whatever other button you so wish to use. Change the name of the button and the tooltip here. Also set the Hotkey, Make sure no other buttons in the same command card have the same hotkey, otherwise you wont get the desired effect.

Now go to the UNIT Data editor.
In the units Abilities+ field Add the Ability you just made.
In the Command Card+ field click where you would like the button.

----READ IF YOU WANT TO HAVE YOUR BUILDINGS IN A SUBMENU----
Click the little green X button on the right. And add the button for BUILD STRUCTURE (or any custom one, if you so desire). Then set that Buttons command type dropdown to SubMenu and choose the card number you desire your custom towers to be listed in.
Then open that command card (1-4) at the top of the command card editor.
-----SKIP HERE OTHERWISE----------------

Select the location for the first Tower Build Button.
Click the little green X on the right. This will allow you to choose your newly created button.
Now Under the command type dropdown in the command card editor. Select ABILITY.
If you dont want any special requirements to use or show the button, leave REQUIRMENTS blank.
Under the ABILITY Dropdown in the command card editor, select the BUILD ability you added to the unit.
Then, it should populate the available units/structures in that build ability. Select the Tower that matches the button you put.

There you go. It should show up in the game and also cause the unit to be built upon use.

Hope it wasnt too confusing. I think I got it all, if I missed anything Im sorry.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The utmost important thing to remember about the SC2 data editor is to forget everything you learned in WC3's WE.

You will have to repeat your learning curve that you did in WE. Basically look at other peoples maps and learn from them. If you have some idea of database logic you will more easilly understand the data editor, but remember it is totally different from WC3.

In WC3, you based your spells on an existing spell.
In SC2, you base your spells on components like buttons, abilities, effects and behaviours (with actors and models and textures).#
Unlike WC3, your abilities are entirly custom, your marine unit you make does not even need the orignal marine data to be loaded as that is nothing more different than your one (both based on the same construct data types).

You are after learning about the construct types and what they can be used for (what their fields they have do) unlike in WC3 where you had to learn what was available to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.