1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Magic the Gathering: SC

Discussion in 'Magic the Gathering: SC' started by GreyArchon, Feb 2, 2008.

1. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[rainbow]Welcome to Magic the Gathering: SC[/rainbow]

What is MTG: SC?
    Magic the Gathering: SC is a 5-player custom map, intended for play on battle.net. For the future, AI is planned so it can also be played as a single-player map.
    A player takes control of a specific MTG color. Each color has its' own strengths and weaknesses, which are in turn based on the way a color is usually played in the famous cardgame. For example, RED is great at offense, but lacks strength in defense. In turn, WHITE is a more defensive color to play.
    What does SC stand for?
    Starcraft. This map is a remake of the original custom map MTG, which was a starcraft map.
    How do I play?
    First of course, download the map from the database, here. Then, just host it and find 4 more people!
    Though dozens of different strategies are possible, some things ring true for all colors:
    • If your wizard dies, you lose. Game over. Protect him well.
    • Place your wizard on beacons with units next to them to summon that creature.
    • Place your wizard on beacons with buildings next to them to cast that spell.
    • Click on the unit/building near the beacon to see its' description.
    • Elemental Mana is what makes the world go 'round. Get it by killing enemy creatures, or simply waiting.
    • Look carefully at what spells your enemies cast!
    • Every 10 seconds, your Basic tier 1 units will spawn.
    • Every 10 seconds, if you have at least 2000 Elemental Mana, your Basic tier 2 units will spawn.
    • Every 10 seconds, if you have at least 4000 Elemental Mana, your Basic tier 3 units will spawn.
    • To perform a mass attack, move your unit in the top-left of the map to the appropriate beacon.
    • To summon Multicolor Creatures, move your unit in the top-right of the map to the appropriate beacon.
    • To fix the camera, type -camera.
    • To kick a player after they have been defeated, type -kickcolor. (examples: -kickwhite, -kickred, -kickblack)
    • Turn tips on and off with -tipson and -tipsoff.

I hope you will enjoy playing MTG: SC!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  2. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Congrats on becoming a hosted project. I cannot host, so I won't be playing this until the AI is implemented.

3. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I noticed your map size is about 3 MB. You need to reduce the size, otherwise this map is simply to cumbersome to be played on BNET. I suggest squishing models, compressing textures, eliminating sounds etc. I assume you use a lot of custom things, so a good target would be 1-1.5 MB.

4. Zergleb

Zergleb

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Does it need to use the old system of having the unit on the beacon? I mean they did it that way because they had no other choice, why not upgrade it?

*Oh and as i was typing the guy above posted, I would also suggest using vex's map optimizer, and I swear there is some MPQ tool that helps with that kind of thing too.*

5. Rakdos Defiler

Rakdos Defiler

Resources:
    Resources:
    Love it just need single player, cause w/ dial up i don't do online play. I better be in the game, i love mtg, and if you don't understand then i wanna strangle you lol.

6. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I've manually reduced all custom skins to 33% quality, after which I've used Vexorian's Map optimizer to remove another 5% of the mapsize. The map doesnt use any custom sounds, and about a third of the custom models which're used use in-game textures.
    Perhaps there's one more method of making it smaller, and that'll involve a bit of tinkering with the loading screen.
    I'll have to look into that for the next version.

As it's a remake, I wanted to preserve as much of the old feeling / playstyle of the Starcraft map as possible. It's a conscious choice. :)

Nope, sorry. :p Didnt have place for Legendary Multicolor creatures, and Rakdos is Black+Red.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  7. Maedh

Maedh

Resources:
    Resources:
    Map size is fine, people generally dont get discouraged by the dl time because there are only 4 ppl dling. I can get full house very quickly :D

8. Mini-Me

Mini-Me

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congrats on the hosted status.

Aww, I was ready to go back on bnet after a long time to play this map, but 3mb? :p I've played this map long ago, don't remember if it was that big then, and I liked the map. But as karawasa already pointed out, 3mb is an overkill.

This map could be a huge hit if people could download it in 10 secs or so. I think you really should do your best to get this under 1mb atleast. I know it's very hard for you as the creator to remove any custom stuff, so you could get an unbiased oppinion what stuff can easily be replaced with blizzard models/effects.

9. t-y-r-o

t-y-r-o

Resources:
    Resources:
    unless the dl time for me is over 5-10 minutes... i could care less just gives me time to go take a piss or maybe read a lil.

10. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    They should upgrade b.net to have a better dl.

11. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well I guess I could remove the custom WindSerpent and Gargoyle skins.. But I hardly see how that'd remove any more than 200 kb.

I'm pretty sure I *can* shave off a big chunk of mapsize by taking another route with that custom loadingscreen, so you have that to look forward to. :)

12. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Takes about 45 seconds per player at the moment (for me). Not great, but not awful.

Also, you can make the loadscreen in one 512x512 texture rather than 4 pieces, if you use a custom one.

13. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes, from my own experience I've not had people leave because download takes "too long". Probably because it's only 5 spots... I can imagine people would leave much sooner if it'd be a 12-player map.

14. Mini-Me

Mini-Me

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Imo custom loading screens are a waste of space. If you don't want to use the 'ugly' blizzard loading screens, then use a completely black loading screen. I would start the cutting down from the loading screen.

15. Rakdos Defiler

Rakdos Defiler

Resources:
    Resources:
    I KNOW WHAT RAKDOS IS, HOW DARE YOU HAVE TO SAY HE'S BLACK RED, GAH,... ROOOOOOOAR HE IS ' FRECKIN' AWESOME. So thats an idea for later on legendary multicolors ,atm i can't play any custom maps but think cause i don't have update, i need to find it online so it's quicker.

16. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The 4 piece loadscreen with .tga is the best way to go. If you optimize the files right, it doesn't take up that much more space compared to the 1 piece .blp one. What you need to do is set the .tga files to indexed color mode instead of RGB. Reduces filesize by over 1 MB if you haven't done it.

17. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Indexed color mode, you say? Got some specifications on that one? I'm not sure how to do that. :)

18. NatDis

NatDis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Are you sure the TGA file will be smaller? When I converted a TGA into a BLP, I saw that although the BLP was perfect it's size wasn't more than a third of the TGA.

19. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What the map is currently using:
    12 imported BLP's: 2 for the left side of the loading screen, and 2 for the right side for each race option (Hu, Orc, NE, UD, Rand).

What the map in the next version will be using:
    Custom MDX for loading screen.
    4 imported BLPs or TGA's in the custom loading screen.

20. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You know, you can instead do one 512x512, which saves even more space.