Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Magic the Gathering: SC

Discussion in 'Magic the Gathering: SC' started by GreyArchon, Feb 2, 2008.

1. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[rainbow]Welcome to Magic the Gathering: SC[/rainbow]

What is MTG: SC?
    Magic the Gathering: SC is a 5-player custom map, intended for play on battle.net. For the future, AI is planned so it can also be played as a single-player map.
    A player takes control of a specific MTG color. Each color has its' own strengths and weaknesses, which are in turn based on the way a color is usually played in the famous cardgame. For example, RED is great at offense, but lacks strength in defense. In turn, WHITE is a more defensive color to play.
    What does SC stand for?
    Starcraft. This map is a remake of the original custom map MTG, which was a starcraft map.
    How do I play?
    First of course, download the map from the database, here. Then, just host it and find 4 more people!
    Though dozens of different strategies are possible, some things ring true for all colors:
    • If your wizard dies, you lose. Game over. Protect him well.
    • Place your wizard on beacons with units next to them to summon that creature.
    • Place your wizard on beacons with buildings next to them to cast that spell.
    • Click on the unit/building near the beacon to see its' description.
    • Elemental Mana is what makes the world go 'round. Get it by killing enemy creatures, or simply waiting.
    • Look carefully at what spells your enemies cast!
    • Every 10 seconds, your Basic tier 1 units will spawn.
    • Every 10 seconds, if you have at least 2000 Elemental Mana, your Basic tier 2 units will spawn.
    • Every 10 seconds, if you have at least 4000 Elemental Mana, your Basic tier 3 units will spawn.
    • To perform a mass attack, move your unit in the top-left of the map to the appropriate beacon.
    • To summon Multicolor Creatures, move your unit in the top-right of the map to the appropriate beacon.
    • To fix the camera, type -camera.
    • To kick a player after they have been defeated, type -kickcolor. (examples: -kickwhite, -kickred, -kickblack)
    • Turn tips on and off with -tipson and -tipsoff.

I hope you will enjoy playing MTG: SC!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  2. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Congrats on becoming a hosted project. I cannot host, so I won't be playing this until the AI is implemented.

3. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I noticed your map size is about 3 MB. You need to reduce the size, otherwise this map is simply to cumbersome to be played on BNET. I suggest squishing models, compressing textures, eliminating sounds etc. I assume you use a lot of custom things, so a good target would be 1-1.5 MB.

4. Zergleb

Zergleb

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Does it need to use the old system of having the unit on the beacon? I mean they did it that way because they had no other choice, why not upgrade it?

*Oh and as i was typing the guy above posted, I would also suggest using vex's map optimizer, and I swear there is some MPQ tool that helps with that kind of thing too.*

5. Rakdos Defiler

Rakdos Defiler

Resources:
    Resources:
    Love it just need single player, cause w/ dial up i don't do online play. I better be in the game, i love mtg, and if you don't understand then i wanna strangle you lol.

6. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I've manually reduced all custom skins to 33% quality, after which I've used Vexorian's Map optimizer to remove another 5% of the mapsize. The map doesnt use any custom sounds, and about a third of the custom models which're used use in-game textures.
    Perhaps there's one more method of making it smaller, and that'll involve a bit of tinkering with the loading screen.
    I'll have to look into that for the next version.

As it's a remake, I wanted to preserve as much of the old feeling / playstyle of the Starcraft map as possible. It's a conscious choice. :)

Nope, sorry. :p Didnt have place for Legendary Multicolor creatures, and Rakdos is Black+Red.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  7. Maedh

Maedh

Resources:
    Resources:
    Map size is fine, people generally dont get discouraged by the dl time because there are only 4 ppl dling. I can get full house very quickly :D

8. Mini-Me

Mini-Me

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congrats on the hosted status.

Aww, I was ready to go back on bnet after a long time to play this map, but 3mb? :p I've played this map long ago, don't remember if it was that big then, and I liked the map. But as karawasa already pointed out, 3mb is an overkill.

This map could be a huge hit if people could download it in 10 secs or so. I think you really should do your best to get this under 1mb atleast. I know it's very hard for you as the creator to remove any custom stuff, so you could get an unbiased oppinion what stuff can easily be replaced with blizzard models/effects.

9. t-y-r-o

t-y-r-o

Resources:
    Resources:
    unless the dl time for me is over 5-10 minutes... i could care less just gives me time to go take a piss or maybe read a lil.

10. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    They should upgrade b.net to have a better dl.

11. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well I guess I could remove the custom WindSerpent and Gargoyle skins.. But I hardly see how that'd remove any more than 200 kb.

I'm pretty sure I *can* shave off a big chunk of mapsize by taking another route with that custom loadingscreen, so you have that to look forward to. :)

12. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Takes about 45 seconds per player at the moment (for me). Not great, but not awful.

Also, you can make the loadscreen in one 512x512 texture rather than 4 pieces, if you use a custom one.

13. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes, from my own experience I've not had people leave because download takes "too long". Probably because it's only 5 spots... I can imagine people would leave much sooner if it'd be a 12-player map.

14. Mini-Me

Mini-Me

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Imo custom loading screens are a waste of space. If you don't want to use the 'ugly' blizzard loading screens, then use a completely black loading screen. I would start the cutting down from the loading screen.

15. Rakdos Defiler

Rakdos Defiler

Resources:
    Resources:
    I KNOW WHAT RAKDOS IS, HOW DARE YOU HAVE TO SAY HE'S BLACK RED, GAH,... ROOOOOOOAR HE IS ' FRECKIN' AWESOME. So thats an idea for later on legendary multicolors ,atm i can't play any custom maps but think cause i don't have update, i need to find it online so it's quicker.

16. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The 4 piece loadscreen with .tga is the best way to go. If you optimize the files right, it doesn't take up that much more space compared to the 1 piece .blp one. What you need to do is set the .tga files to indexed color mode instead of RGB. Reduces filesize by over 1 MB if you haven't done it.

17. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Indexed color mode, you say? Got some specifications on that one? I'm not sure how to do that. :)

18. NatDis

NatDis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Are you sure the TGA file will be smaller? When I converted a TGA into a BLP, I saw that although the BLP was perfect it's size wasn't more than a third of the TGA.

19. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What the map is currently using:
    12 imported BLP's: 2 for the left side of the loading screen, and 2 for the right side for each race option (Hu, Orc, NE, UD, Rand).

What the map in the next version will be using:
    Custom MDX for loading screen.
    4 imported BLPs or TGA's in the custom loading screen.

20. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You know, you can instead do one 512x512, which saves even more space.