• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mages II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
149931-albums505-picture12142.jpg

---------------
Background Info
---------------

Why?

I initialy created mages 1 because i was into the whole harry potter thing, now im a bit board of that. As much as I also liked mages 1 it was very simple and i think most adept mapmakers could have made it. So I have decided to push myself into making firstly, the return of Mages with mages 2 and also a campain shortly.

Current Progress

Understand that this map is just about entering beta stages so it wont be very exiting yet as I am still testing systems, etc.. however I think you can get a feel of the game.

In the test map i have uploaded the backbones of the map are shown however in reality, I actually have the terrain set out, which is fairly nice looking and also very easy to navigate through. I have also further improved the AI, particularly in their timing for blinking and use of the healing spell aswell as stealth, which is very annoying for a human player particularly when against insane AI however of course all in good fun.

---------------
Features
---------------

Overview

Mages II features the typical advanced spells (all made by me) but with a twist. To use a spell you will either hit the A key or the S key to buy. A to cast spells, and S to buy new spells however there will be a cap of 5 spells but a player can also buy a further 2 passive spells, such as 'Deflection' and an 'Auto-blink' Spell. The game will involve one hand in the wasd position because of the way the system works.

Systems

You may be wondering, if i am using just two keys to cast spells have I used a sucky system involving clicking in spellbooks or using dialogs to select spells. Well.. no instead i have created a unique system involving using the W key to scroll up through spells and the D key to scroll down. (hence the wasd position) also where normally hero's icons are shown the icons for your spells will be shown, and all disabled except for the spell you are currently using. Its hard to explain however once you have tried it you should get the hang of it.

So I have also used a much more user friendly and aesthetically pleasing method in which to buy spells. And of course I have found only the top quality icons and models and used them. Of course the best and obviously the most satisfying feature of this map is that although it contains a large number of high quality, custom spells (over 20) There is no lag!!! Therefore this map can be enjoyed with a full house online or quite easily with the advanced AI in single player, whilst experiencing no lag.

---------------
Spells
---------------

Basic Info

Currently There are 12 active, useable spells available and 4 passive, you buy each spell by hiting the S key and then selecting the spell you want. (in future vers spells will only be available to light or dark mages. One of these current spells is a simple attack spell, i had some lag issues however all are fixed now. This spell can be fired as often as you can push the A key and target it which is why it is the most effective in some cases however it is a spell that can easily be deflected.

Categories

The spells are split into 4 categories;

* Fire -> Pyrotic Blast, Flame Wall, Meteor Call, Radial Implosion.
* Ice -> Glacial Blast, Ice Shield, Freeze, Estronax.
* Miscellaneous -> Attack, Static Blast, Heal, Stealth.
* Passive -> Deflection, Cooldown Control, Damage Multiplier, Auto-Blink.

---------------
A.I
---------------

I have designed a uniquely intelligent AI of which will vary its skill depending on whether it is set to easy normal or insane difficulty. The AI for insane I have not yet been able to beat as it fires spells fast and uses the perfect variety aswell as knowing when to retreat.

Therefore I recommend if you test this map you do not play against insane immediately.
(if you do beat an insane AI on your first go please share with me your secret as i still cant kill them as fast as they kill me).

---------------
My requests
---------------

So really what I need is some input and feedback about my map, if you notice a bug; tell me, If you think you can detect lag; tell me where? If you need help understanding the concept; don't hesitate to ask.

Finally I also ask for some ideas about spells, (obviously different to my current). These spells should be advanced in concept but realisticly possible, therefore If you think there should be some uber ice wave please dont tell me i have to model one (because I cant) only put something like that down if there is one in the resources section.

All input will be greatly appreciated aswell as just testing and telling me what you think. But help with the spells may earn rep. Thanks

-------------
Jaijaibinx
-------------

------------
Screenshots
------------

attachment.php

attachment.php

------------
To Come
------------

* I will be adding the first version of the map in this thread tomorrow in which I hope for some feedback and perhaps suggestions of new features and of course any bugs found.

* More Information about the current spells.

* More screenshots of combat and systems, aswell as the base for the real terrain.

Attachments

• ScreenShot 1.jpg
    ScreenShot 1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 284
  • Screenshot 2.jpg
    Screenshot 2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.