• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle Mages Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
This information is hopelessly outdated by eight months... Can a moderator close this? (battle mages site is: www.pollama.com/battlemages and can also be downloaded from the hive workshop)

For a long while, I have always wanted to make a mage battle map, but until recently I haven't been able to pull it off. So now, after over (only) two weeks' toil, I give you Battle Mages.

Battle Mages is all about simply killing everyone in the other team, through use of strategy and tactics, and of course fast reflexes. Everyone has a set number of lives, and must make use of the three magic schools to win. These magic schools are Fire, Ice, and Lightning. Fire is all about dealing major damage through use of slowish projectiles and cumbersome attacks. Ice is about slowing (and even stopping) the enemy, though it does have some rather powerful spells. Lightning spells go into two categories - Screaming fast, moderately powerful, and costly; or slow, very powerful, and even more costly. Each spell class has a tree of spells ranging from a single weak T1 spell, to three T2, T3, and T4 spells, to a single ultimate T5 spell. One can only learn one ultimate spell, so choose wisely. It is rare, however, to even get to that point in a game; most of the time it is a feat just to get one ultimate, let alone two!

Features:
•11 spells in each school (a total of 33), almost all of which are fully triggered
•Projectiles collide with walls and pillars
•5 differently-sized arenas
•Random pillar setup in the arenas; each game is different
•Custom spellbook system, very similar to (the original) Diablo's spellbook system
•12 random events, with more to come!

If anyone has any suggestions or complaints, feel free to post them here.

Last edited:
Level 2
Nice map, has the whole dueling feel to it(Ive only done a 1v1). Everything is nice except for your spell book system i think. that was really strange I understand why you need it though perhaps get one of them windowed inventory's for your hand thing it would look alot more polished, and my friend realized while playing that you can change your hand inside of an arena... that ticked me off... always had a counter coming... Bloody awesome map though!! I hope to see it finished :)

Level 13
I never actually tested a 1v1 match (I usually play 4v4, 5v5, and 6v6), so I'm glad you liked it. I never played a serious game in the two smallest arenas.

As for using spellbooks in the arena, that is actually an intended feature, if you can pull it off without getting hit. It's just as intended as the fact that shops are useable while fighting.

I'll upload an updated version tomorrow, hopefully fixing some balance issues and remedying the fact that lightning nova and electric cone don't do damage.

Level 2
orly... so i had lightning nova for no reason??? pwnsome

Played ur map a few more times just for fun (good sign i think)

Level 16
Nice map :). Great idea and good spells. This map really had the feeling of battle :).

One complaint though; random events. They suck to be honest. 'Blood mana' kills you sometimes, not sure what it does but Im presuming it deals the amount of damage to you that you have mana at that time. 'Wave of pressure' or something like that kills you very often too, dont have a clue what it does, but it kills :p. 'Mass Healing', well, good and bad. Good if you are low hp and enemy is about to pwn u, very irratating when you are the one's who going to pwn the weak enemy and suddenly he's on full hp.

Level 13
That is really weird. I didn't change anything with the waygate trigger, so I have no idea at all why that would happen.
Edit: it turned out to be a bug that I couldn't have forseen. You obviously did not have a player 2 in your game, as I can deduct from the evidence with your bug. The new version is fixed, so no worries.

Level 4
*about the waygate, make sure you didn't change the unit for team 2, is it "Battle Mage," the exact same one as team 1? Is the waygate disabled but have the teleport region on it. Also if two units enter the waygate at the same time this trigger won't work.

Edit: And any form of random events will be extremely annoying and ruin any map unless they effect all players in an equally positive or negative way.

Level 13
Oh... Shit...

Don't play the current version, there is a horrible bug. Apparently, the initial trigger doesn't even run, screwing EVERYTHING up.

Edit: 'Tis fixed!

Edit2: Newer version uploaded! Mucho fixes and cool stuff!

Edit3: Newerer version uploaded! More fixes and balancing changes!

Last edited:
Level 1
Hey there, LOVE the game (1.23b) but I can't really figure out hybrid spells... do they only exist for Tier 2? EG: If I learn all the Tier 2 spells for Lightning and Ice, I get the hybrid skill Ice Charge, which is cool... but if I learn all the Tier 3 or 4 spells for Lightning and Ice, I DON'T get a hybrid spell? Confused :S

Level 1
I just wanted to say, its a really fun map for only (only played deathmatch, but it was fun).
But I wanted to play it offline too (online there almost always are leavers) so can you make an AI for it (for just a few modes, like deathmatch and capture the flag)?
Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.