1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey guys, we've posted the Results for the 30th Modeling Contest. Check them out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 15th Mini-Mapping Contest came to an end. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 are soon to be revealed! Come and vote in the public poll for your favorite maps.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 12th incarnation of the Music Contest is LIVE! The theme is Synthwave. Knight Rider needs a song to listen to on his journey. You should definitely have some fun with this theme!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Strategy / Risk] LOTR TOTAL WAR alpha

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Valandil, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Valandil

Valandil

Resources:
    Resources:
    War in Middle Earth

War in Middle Earth alpha
    created by: Valandil

[​IMG]

This is the map that I'm developing for people that like me loves Lord of the Rings books and movies. I played all the games ever been released of Middle earth, also I am big fan of Warcraft3 (Middle Earth) map like LOTR: Ring Wars, LOTR-Last Alliance. I want to create the map of a high quality with a beautifull terrain like in the Peter Jackson's movie that is all around the story of LotR, but not only the events that was shown in the movie but also in the books.
    I want create a map where you can play the role of your favorite characters like Frodo or Aragorn if you play for Fellowship.
    There will be all most important heroes, places, events that was in the book.
    I would like you all LOTR games players to give me useful suggestions before the final release.

Map Info

LOTR TOTAL WAR alpha is open world rts where you control one of 12 different races. The players are divided in 2 teams: Forces of Light:Gondor,Rohan,Lost Realms of Arnor,Fellowship, Elves and Dwarves, and Forces of Sauron: MOrdor, Isengard, Angmar, Dol Guldur, Harad, Rhun.
    Each races have the different gameplay and different events in the game.
    Every controled base give the income every minute and with the lost of one of the base your income will decrease.In the game there are bases that go under control of the player that destroy it and give him extra income, bases like Osgiliath, Cair Andros, Tower of Amon Sul etc...
    The Fellowship have no bases and cant train units, they have 9 heroes and must compleate the quests to win the game like in the story. (not present not in the game)

About the Faction's role

Gondor: The strongest faction of the Humans, has a good defences, as the descendants of Numenoreans Gondorian like others Dunedains are true masters in healing arts, all Gondorian heroes can heal friendly units, also they are famos for their building skills, Towers of Gondor are difficult to destroy and help Gondorian defend their lands.
    You have a bad neighbors, from south Harad can attack you as from the land using the giants beasts mumakills as from the water sailing river Anduin with a pirates ships to your costs, from the east after the mountains of Shadow lays the land of Dark Lord Sauron Mordor that grew in power every day, last defences from Mordor is the Ruined city of Osgiliath, and from the North-East there are savage Easterlings, ancient enemies of Gondor, they will fight at the back of Sauron against you.
    Heroes: Denethor,Faramir and other Demi heroes.

Mordor: Mordor is realm of Sauron, your main objective in the game is to find the One ring, the only thing that can bring Saurons back his power, and once he will take it back only miracle could stop him. You have unique heroe (Witch King) mounted fellbeast, that can moove faster that anything else from one corne of the map to another seekin the Ring. With the time in the game the forces of Sauron grows, and nothing can stop Barad Dur only the destructionthe One ring,keep it mind, the Ring can be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom that is situated in the middle of your lands.
    Heroes: Witch King, Mouth of Sauron, Gothmog and other Demi heroes like: Gorbag, Grishnákh, Shagrat, Lagduf, Radbug, Muzgash, Ufthak

Rohan: Is the land of Horse-masters Rohirim,the faster of all nations, the best units in all game are Rohirims Riders, fast and strong. Rohan start the game with Saruman's witchery on their King Theoden, King is under mind contol of the fallen wizard and you can do nothing with that, only Gandalf the White can. Till the Theoden is corrupted by Saruman some of income of Rohan go to Isengard, but you still have controll of all the buildings and units and other heroes.
    Heroes: Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn and other Demi heroes like : Erkebrand, Hama, Grimbold etc...

Isengard: Your main enemy in the game is Rohan, your objective is to leave Gondor without his strong allies. Saruman's Uruk hai are one of the best units in the game, but attention to the Rohirim riders. Secure your position with towers and healing pits, do not move in the opened lands without good defences.
    Heroes: Saruman, Grima Wormtongue, Ugluk and other Demi heroes like Wulf the Dunlading Chieftain ...

Harad: They are the enemies of Gondor, allied to the Dark Lord, Haradrims have some good unique stuff, Siege Mumakils great siege bests with a good stump ability that can be used to damage big number of units around them and the Pirates ships of Umbar that can take the corsairs throught the river Anduin to the cities like Pelargir , Osgiliath and Dol Amroth.

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Credits: Fingolfin, HappyTauren, Vermillion Edict, Frankster, PROXY, Tranquil, Olofmoleman, Ujimasa Hojo, Wandering Soul, tillinghast, communist_orc, Shadow_killer

For now there are only 5 playable factions, the game is in alpha.
    All the suggestions are Welcome, and sorry for my english ...

Alpha v.0.04
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=zqo6gh

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. apcrabnightlive

apcrabnightlive

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Could you tell us about more of different races and the heroes?
    How about the events and gameplay of each race?

3. Directive255

Directive255

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can you introduce some characters, tell more about the features and factions?

4. Molaf

Molaf

Resources:
    Resources:
    Really nice models you have here. Although you should definitely change those ugly green towers in your first screenshot. use custom models or at least change the players color of those.

So its some kind of risk isn't it ?

5. Valandil

Valandil

Resources:
    Resources:
    NEW ALPHA VERSION WAS RELEASED v.0.03

Added New Screenshots

I cant for now, because the game is Alpha ... but i will in near future.

Its not Risk, but RTS (with elements of rpg, for Fellowship the most)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  6. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Very creative use of doodads, great job, it is always nice to see someone who knows how to think outside the box. :)

7. Valandil

Valandil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you, the terrain is what i'm doing the best i think in the mapmaking, i hope people will help me with triggers when i will add events .... :ogre_rage:

8. Molaf

Molaf

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you can terrain like that means you also can trigger. You just need a bit of time if you are newbie at it.

9. apcrabnightlive

apcrabnightlive

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'll help if I can I love LOTR and games like this. :)

10. maddeem

maddeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Love the terrain style, so clean an crisp with just enough models to get the job done; good work.

11. Barade

Barade

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Great screenshots. I love all lord of the rings maps. You really get the locations right but maybe you could make mordor and the mountains around mordor a bit darker.

12. Valandil

Valandil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes I will Add The shadows all around the Mordor to make it looks darker.
    And the lighting, for now i didnt add the lighting glow effects, but when I add it will look so beautifull. I have test it Mount's Doom lava look epic ....=)
    I want Mordor terrain look scary like in the movie, also all the players from the light teams will be weakened when they are on the Land of shadow ... in the future ....

13. apcrabnightlive

apcrabnightlive

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Like reduce their hp regeneration by a percentage.

14. Valandil

Valandil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Also reduce their movement and attack speed. :fp:

15. apcrabnightlive

apcrabnightlive

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That will make them too op maybe improve mordors forces?

16. Alpun

Alpun

Resources:
    Resources:
    one plea, please keep to either the book or the movie (preferably the book), cause both together don't fit

For example, in the books, the eye of Sauron wasn't really an eye but rather a metaphor (the eye atop of the tower is a rather cheap idea of Peter Jackson)

Besides that I really like the idea to make a new Lotr map. Espercially, if you let the FS start in the Shire with 5 (!) Hobbits etc.

17. Valandil

Valandil

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think that PJ made a very good job with the movie, the thing that I didnt like that he cut so many characters and events, like Tom Bombadil, Burrow Dens.... I will try to make the map compleat as possible .

And Yes, My Fellowship will start in the Shire and will not go around the map fighting for the level but will have their quest when they compleate one will open another of storyline.

18. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Probably one of the better looking LOTR map out there. I'll try to give it a go when I get the time.

19. Zaramorus

Zaramorus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Funny how i used iseedeadpeople to see what is in the map and somewhy this cheat code doesnt seem to be working right. Sometimes it like flashes and the whole map isnt revealed anymore. Its kinda strange. And ive also got 2 questions. First question: Are you gonna add AI in the future? Second question: Is the gold coming so slowly, because of a bug or will it stay that slow?

20. Valandil

Valandil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok, you need to know that Alpha means WORK IN PROGRESS, this is not even BETA version, this is early alpha, the things like income and units balance will be fixed in the future, for now I,m adding cities, bases all units and basic income i need to finish creation of the map as terrainer first to start working on the income and unique balance for each faction .... (i want every faction have it,s unique gameplay) .
    and iseedeadpeople dont work permanent because i have a trigger that periodicly reveal the map and enable fog of war. I made that because i want people have always the map discovered, where their enemies build towers and bases....but dont see units moove.