• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Cinematic] Lord Hunter's Cinematic

Opinion on my cinematic

• good

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • average

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • bad

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I like pie... no really ^^

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello everyone!

I'm Lord Hunter and I want to submit a new cinematic that I just made. This is my most accomplished cinematic yet. I'm new to the community and I would really like feedback :)

Why make this cinematic?

I started by making an RPG that introduced the characters and the environments. Soon I realized i enjoyed much more making cinematics as they permit a much greater creative freedom than the regular game. This is why i created this cinematic

Yeah, okay... so why should I watch this?

I guarantee you that there's a least one moment that will make you say 'wow that's cool' ;) Purgeandfire111 described it as 'Simply great!'. Give it a shot and see for yourselves ;)

So what's in this cinematic?

The cinematic is roughly 10 min long, it's a mic of action and drama. It has a
1v1 battle, a military parade, action, violence and betrayals... and much more ;)

How about some features?

Yeah sure. I used The Ultimate Terraining Map for the terrain and many songs from movies (matrix, batman begins, gladiator, and other sound fx...). There are 201 cameras and 103 regions

So is there a story behind it?

-Well yeah, it's part of my rpg so a lot of stuff is explained before. To make this cinematic more enjoyable i'll have to give some info here:
The story is about an Empire called Central. It's rulled by a powerful man, the Fuhrer. he is violent and ruthless and doesn't mind killing allies or foes. He maintains power by coercion, and abosrbs neighbouring kingdoms into his empire. On such kingdom, called Tsavo, is rulled by lord Moltke. He swore allegiance to the Fuhrer if he would not entirely destroy his capital. (This is where my RPG begins). After serving for the Fuhrer for many years, he becomes completely disgusted with his life. Seeing what destruction the Fuhrer has brought to the world, he now wants to stop him and save the lives of innocents.

On a final note, I'd really appreciate if ppl who saw my cinematic would give me feedback. I work alone, and I have no way to know if what i make is pretty cool or fuking crap. Please do not hesitate to tell me what you liked and what you didn't and I'll change it :)

To anyone who took the time to watch my cinematic... I LOVE YOU <3

Pump up the music and enjoy the show! Download below or at http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/maps/6627/

Attachments

• Lord Hunter's Cinematic.rar
    14.6 MB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Storyline: 8/10
- The storyline was clear
- It was interesting, not too original but interesting no doubt, you can spice it up and I bet it will be awesome.

Cameras: 7/10
- You kept a steady motion
- Some areas were mispositioned and showed excess terrain or weird glitches.

Terrain: 6/10
- You made ok use of the UTM, you could have probably used more of the trees and other models.
- Some areas were bunched up, while others had nothing at all.
- It suddenly turns into outland from ashenvale/grass.

Battle: 7/10
- If you had more effects, it would be graded higher. Spells and effects are really eyecandy.
- Wasn't too predictable

Music: 10/10
- Awesome Loved it

Dialog/Text: 8/10
- The dialog was great, not many errors
- Some stuff disappeared too fast
- No credits

Entertainment: 9/10
- Kept me entertained and interested
- Good suspense
- Some areas were predictable

AVERAGE TOTAL: 7.8/10

*This is a good score. Fix the terrain and it will be ready for the cinema... I think... :p :pal:

Also add the credits. People don't want their stuff used but no credits given. :wink: Until you do this, I'll let it sit here for a while.

Level 6
Whao i'm glad you took the time to review my cinematic :D
I'm going to improve the stuff you mentioned to make it aprovable for the cinematic.

Just to explain some stuff... Yeah the terrain needs some work and i'm gonna try to make it intersting. About the awkward terrian... well the ashenvale grass part is what the world looks like if there was no war, i wanted it to contrast with the war torn zone that i represted using the outland tiles. But i guess that wasn't clear enough so I'll work it out better.
You mention some camera glitches... i think i know what you're talking about but it might be better if you tell me exactly what part was weird.
I'll add some better battle animations. I forgot to add a proper credits, my bad :(
I'm gonna go work on the comments you made ^^

Storyline: 8/10
- The storyline was pretty clear. I could see that some sort of leader, who was actually in some way evil, was trying to defend his land from a few rebels.

Cameras: 6.5/10
- Pretty smooth but sometimes things started disappearing because of the distance like in the big city near the end. I didn't like that too much.

Terrain: 7/10
- Pretty flat terrain in most places.
- You used some great doodads and had good variety. The city was dull and weird differences in the structures.

Battle: 6/10
- Most of it at the start and end was boring, just normal attacks. I did like when special effects took place.
-I would expect the reverse to happen. That "arthas" guy to die and the Blood mage not to ending with the "Illidan" guy dead but somehow surviving like the Blood Mage did... rofl

Music: 9/10
- Kinda Hard to hear.
- Good choice.

Dialog/Text: 6/10
- The speed was off many times. Sometimes I didn't have enough time to read it but others I had to wait for awhile after I did read.

- I was very interested but it was your average situation.

Level 6
Thx for the review!

You have some very valid points. The cameras in the city were kinda funky. The main problem was that the cameras coverd an area larger than the game would show, i don't know if there's a way to change that. The terrain was not amazing but i think it's all right. I'll try to improve it next time. I liked the battle, but i guess i over used normal attacks, so i'll have to make it better next time. Btw i guess i misleaded you by making you think that the blood mage would survive cuz he's the hero ;)

If you ahd to give an overall grade what would it be? ^^

Try changing the Field of View option for the camera and you should be able to view farther. Maybe not far enough but pretty far.

This is useful, but I strongly suggest avoiding it unless necessary.

Far Z (Field of View) can seriously add lag to the machines viewing it, and is a huge part to why many cinematics lag a bunch.

If anything, you should probably lower the far Z. :wink:

Holy ***t
Bad**s
I Wana Watch More!!!!!
Who The H**l Rated This Average
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go Lordhunter Go

Try saying something more like, "This is one of the best cinematics I have ever seen.. 10/10!!"

Go Lordhunter Go

Though I must agree this is a good cinematic and I think you should keep trying so one day you could become one of the best on the hive :thumbs_up:

Level 10
Well, music was very good. But fight was very boring. Just autoattack again and again. Check out Infrane's and Anitarf's Spirit of Vengeance or TheGreatNoob's cinematics. They are reflecting each attack and it looks more real then boring mass hitting... The Vision, The Fury and The Spirit of Vengeance..you can learn lot of from this cinematics.

Level 3
Nice cinematic. I'm kinda the impatient modder sometimes, so cinematics really take up so much time. One like this must have taken a lot of time. I'm impressed. (P.S. I wanted to click "I like pie", but changed my mind later)

Alright, so just to follow the other's format:

Storyline: 9/10
Good story, but it took me a little while to understand what was going on. I'd like to see what happens next...

Cameras: 8/10
Most of the cameras are okay, but the one with showing the forest is a bit unsatisfying. There was a sharp turn in that part, so maybe you could try smoothing that.

Terrain: 9/10
A nice and rich terrain, but I wonder what the reddish-sandy sea at the end of the cinematic was supposed to mean. Feels weird somehow.

Battle: 7/10
The battle was fun to watch, but I think there should more spells and special abilities rather than "brute force" attacking. (Flamestrike was awesome)

Music: ?
Quite a wide selection of music, but since I don't have a lot of taste in music, I don't think I can make a qualified rating. (You also included Moonlight! :grin:)

Dialog/Text: 6/10
I think it would be better to make some of the text appear a bit longer. I didn't even manage to read all of the preface text at the beginning. Also, there were a few minor grammar/style mistakes.

Interesting story, and I managed to watch through the entire story with interest. But there are some "less interesting" parts that could be shortened since they don't provide any story (e.g.

Overall it was great. Thanks for an entertaining watch. (Oh, and I wonder what the conclusion will be.)

Good luck with your new RPG map.

Freiddie

Level 12
storyline 6/10, nothing really special, badguy is named fuhrer, thats good connection

cameras 6/10, some movements wasnt too smooth, and cameras didnt cooperative with the actual story on the screen

terrain 5/10 , well, forest was good, actually, it isnt to hard to make good forest, but city was not that good

battle 4/10, boring, see Vision, that I call Battle, this was only fight

music 4/10, all of them are famous pieces of music, some of them was not placed very good

dialog 5/10 cliche and again cliche, I WIL KILL YOU etc, I hear that all the time

entertainment, i dont know what to judge in "entertainment, but i will judge whole view of cinematic, its just ordinary stuff, surelly you can do it better 5/10

5/10 average

Status
Not open for further replies.