• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

looking to help detail a project

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is, if you take a look at some of the models I've made, attachments have a lower file size.
I've made some pretty good attachments wilth file sizes less than 2 KB.
This is what makes attachments much smaller: no bones, and no animations.
There is no point using geoset merging to make a unit model. Waste of file size. The only time you should use a custom unit model is if that unit has unique animations. Or if it's so kickass that you want to import it anyway, despite the file size.
Otherwise, just import tiny attachments. There's no point importing a whole set of bones and animations on a unit model if it uses the same bones and animations of an in-game model.

Anyway, orcwar2, I downloaded your screenshot, trimmed it, and uploaded it, here you go:
152739-albums4597-picture46739.jpg

To upload it, click Insert Image at the top of the screen and paste this link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/152739-albums4597-picture46739.jpg
Most people will want you to put it inside of a tab so that they don't have to scroll past it. Typing BB Code tutorials is annoying because if I tell you what to type, it will DO that. So go to this link, and use the BB code Hidden. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

And, as I said earlier, your terrain looks a lot better than it did at first, but you still need some imrovement.

Last edited:
Level 17
I think, that's a waste of doodad, since people want a decent terrain with fast load time
I suggest you to decrease the grass, make them some sort of growing naturaly, but the green grass near undead's blight?
Don't make sense, i agree with inferno
And seems you only use the props and stucture, use some destrutible wont hurt,
Oh, and try to make some building by combining doodad

Level 4
ok i see your points on the grass and i was just wondering the model thing to know which program would be great for a begginer like and thanks for uploading the screen shot.

Level 4
yeah i forgot it was colored in link color my oops :alol: ill check them out imediatly

ok really stupid question where are the blizz models located?

Using attachments is simple...
There are many ways to do it. I prefer to use abilities.
You know how abilities attach things like orb effects to units? Change the model of the attached effect. Change the attachment point to wherever you want it to be attached to, such as:
head
chest
origin (the bottom center of the model, such as between a footman's feet)
hand, left (seperate strings)
foot, right (seperate strings)

There are dozens of attachment points, these are just a few.

Level 4
ah ok so like if i had a doomguard i would do like felhound model at origin or felhound base would be back if im understanding you right.

Level 4
so it would be better to use a felhound base and not a doomguard so it would look... well at least part way right

Level 4
yeah but a doomguard base wouldnt look right 'cause if i understand right the felhounds legs would not move but the doomguards legs would. :alol:

Level 4
lol yaeh maybe i should close this thread and make a thread called "looking to help me to detail your own projects" :alol: not my best but its what i had :p

Level 4
lol really well can i see one of his terrains i was reviewing the thread and i noticed how it said he makes realistic terrain i wanna see how realistic it is.

Level 4
holy **** when i saw that terrain i passed out for 6 minutes that was epic terrain now i got a new goal: make terrain as good or better then his. :alol:

Level 4
why its obvious he imagines true geographical locations and then applies them to his maps like i noticed how he didnt have many trees in his terrain which makes sence since he is using barrens terrain while he use very few rocks in the river which seems odd for for most water falls i see have more rocks at the bottom of it.

Orcwar2, best way to terrain is to do it yourself. Keep making terrain, you'll get better with practice. Spend a few hours practicing with the tricks I've told you, and you'll start to make better terrain. You can't get better by looking at other people's terrain; you can be inspired, but to get better, you have to actually terrain. It's just like drawing, or swimming. You can learn tricks, you can be inspired, but you have to do it yourself to get better.

Level 4
thank you for the comment that tli made a while back about the bandit terrain plus there is another screeny somewhere (page 4 or 5) that you should check mainly cause i wasnt able to upload for some reason so tli did it for me

Status
Not open for further replies.