• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

LOAP (Life of a Primordial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi! Well, i've been working on a huge map where almost everything is a custom model, icon, and effect, but i've run into a little problem which i'll explain after I give a brief description of the map itself.

Well, the story is rather simple. You start off in an area where you choose which kind of "cave man" or "cave woman" you want to be according to culture style and race. There are prehistoric night elves, humans, orcs, trolls, etc. So instead of everyone being the same peasant model, they would be a unique hero model capable of acquiring new weapons, upgrades, armor, trinkets, and such. You can either live on your own in the wilderness or join one of the four tribes and live in their villages. You may choose to live by yourself or start a family, but you'll need a mate first. If you join a tribe, you may do jobs(quests) for members of the tribe, and eventually, the tribe leaders themselves. You'll rank up in the tribe and be able to command more tribal warriors. If you choose to live in the wilderness, you can choose to command beasts, or increase your own attributes by hardening your survival skills. Quests done while in the wilderness will be those of survival. Whilst living in a tribe, for example, you may be instructed to make weapons as a blacksmith or armor as a leatherworker. You are paid for your services and can buy food at the village's market, however, if you're living on your own in the wild, you'll receive quests that would have you hunt for food or gather materials to build your hut. By doing more quests, you can build a bigger hut for your family by getting more materials, or rank up in a tribe and buy a bigger dwelling.

Terrain: The map i've created is a scale replica of north-west Un'Goro Crater from World of Warcraft. I've not only replicated it, but i've added in some new areas unique to my own fan-made lore for the crater. Every tree, rock, and plant is custom, well... most everything. Even the waterfalls!

Factions: There are four tribes that hold dominance in Un'Goro Crater. The Lifewarden Tribe(Green), Bloodstalker Tribe(Red), Stonemaw Tribe(Brown/Orange) and Tidereaver Tribe(Blue.) Each tribe has a specific specialty and element they worship. Tidereavers(Water/Frost magic) live in the marshlands where there are lots of waterfalls and elevated housing. Stonemaws(Geomancy or earth magic.) live in the cliffs and caves, Lifewardens(Druidism) live in the Roiling Gardens, and the Bloodstalkers(Blood Voodoo and warriors) live on top of a mountain.

Animals: All of the animals are those of the pre-history era--dinosaurs and such. You can hunt them and skin them, and save their meat for food, but be careful. Meat eventually goes bad, and you can get sick, so you need to keep up your hunting. Animals respawn at the switching of day and night.

Day and Night: During daylight you can leave the safety of your dwelling or village to hunt for food, gather materials, or fight other players, however, when the sun sets, it is very dangerous to leave your dwelling or village. Different animals are awake during the night, and your range of vision is severely reduced. Your stats are lowered slightly, because most tribals are afraid of the dark. During daylight, torches outside of caves are unlit while at night, they light up. During the day the torches in your home turn off, and rays of light shine through your hut's roof. At night, the rays of light vanish and your torches turn on.

Items and Upgrades: Players can learn to make their own weapons and armor, or buy them from players who do, or the village marketplaces. Market items won't be as powerful as end-tier player-made items, but they're better than the ones you start with. Every weapon or piece of armor -will- show on your character's model, even if the item is gathered materials, skins, or food. Some items will give you more armor or damage, while others will allow you to cast different spells, like war stomp or shockwave, or a spell unique to the tribe that you're in.

Cutscenes: There are a few cutscenes with voices, but none that will occur during a crucial moment in the game. I've designed it to act like a Wc3 campaign map as far as cutscenes go.

Future Plans: If I can figure out how to do it, players will be able to creatre their own tribes and villages in special locations that i've already created that are suitable for entire villages to be built, but that's a project for another day.

Now for the problem at hand. My map, even as unfinished as it is, is far too massive in terms of file size to be hosted on BattleNet. I don't want to sacrifice any imported files, and I don't have any imported sound files. I've heard about a method of compressing the files without losing much quality, but when I try to learn it, my brain implodes. I'm not so good when it comes to math and understanding computers, but I at least have a lot of creativity and vision. I'm making a call to all experienced map makers out there. Pleeeeaaassse halp! If anyone wants to jump aboard on this project, let me know via this thread. I can use all the help I can get. With multiple minds on this, i'm sure it'll surpass all other LOAP maps in both creativity, function, -and- imagination. I'm in a rut, and i've done all I can as far as map-making goes. I know an okay amount about triggers, and i'm a great environment designer and idealist, but I know nothing of variables, and my triggers are usually cluttered and unorganized. We could have a lot of fun playing this map, and maybe add to it if people help. ^_^

You can contact me on AIM. My screen name is Sycosina, or Tyrande Denthes. Not sure which one it uses sometimes. If you contact me there, it will be much easier to trade files and information while we work on the map. I could really use someone who knows how to do all this stuff. Everything i've done so far has been by myself, and it's making my head hurt. x_x

-- Tyrandela

{EDIT 1}
Hello? o_o

Is there anyone out there that has hope for these ideas? Half of it is already finished.

{EDIT 2}
Bump! o_o

{EDIT 3}
Hey. I just noticed something. One of my maps is 7.11 MB, and I was able to host it on Battle Net. Did they change the limit? But the one i'm talking about in this thread is still 10.7 MB. Maybe the limit is 10 MB now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 1
The limit is 8MB for maps hosted on battle net.

Good luck with your map btw. =)

Thanks! And yeah, but i'm gonna need help if it's ever going to get finished. I've done the landscaping and model collecting, and some starting triggers, but some stuff I can't even begin to imagine how to make work.

Level 19
Or you could turn it into a Single Player one to add more features, it could be Warcraft's very own Grand Theft Auto in the old times:)
Good luck with the map!

Level 1
I plan to find some way to keep all the features, add more, and still be able to play it multi-player. If it works, it'll be -awesome-.

Level 1
i am honestly excited. I am not much of a fan of LoAP, but this sounds like an evolved Troll Tribes thing.

There is one compressor provided by Hive, and it is very easy to use. it comes with its own instructions.

Oh! Cool! I'll be sure to get it when everything I want in the map is finished, then.

But... I'll still need help with putting some things in the map and getting them to work, and maybe other people could pitch ideas if they help me design it.

I think there's two troll heroes, a high elf one, a human one, two night elves, and then like 8 empty slots I haven't found models for yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.