• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Lithion's Awakening SPRPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Thanks! I've been working on it a little more here and there. I've been doing some touch ups and fine tuning of certain things. Most recently I have been working on adding some new creeps and balancing their stats with the difficulty of the region they are in. I've also been working on making some triggers more efficient and just getting some others to work properly. I'll have a bigger update sometime later.

Level 14
I agree. I'm too much of a perfectionist I'm afraid. Everytime I test my campaign I write down everything I notice that is a little off or wrong and I feel like I have to fix it right away before I continue doing anything new. Hopefully it will mean that my campaign will need very little polishing in the end, but it does make things take a long time.

Level 14
OOOOOOOK. Here is a bit of an update finally. I have a small gameplay video of The Callienth Mountains. I wanted to show the new hero models I'm using along with some of the abilities and such.

The heroes are a bit OP in this video because I gave them items they wouldn't normally have at this point in the game.

The video shows how you can easily talk to NPCs by left clicking on them. You can also skip cinematics which I find extremely useful when play testing. I also show the simplicity in entering buildings (by walking over the entrance circle).

The abilities have some good eye candy and the combat is heavily ability based to avoid auto-attacking as much as possible. You may also notice that the bugs in the video have green blood when Lithion attacks them with his blade abilities. When he attacks other enemies the blood is different according to their race.

Enjoy, I'll try to take another video and upload it showcasing some of the other stuff I've worked on lately.

Edit: I tried to take another video of a couple boss fights. I got the first one and then I ran out of time. I only have the free version of Bandicam and can only record 10 minutes at a time. I'll get something up though. I really like the boss fight for Edward Ironfist III. He is an ancient warrior that is pretty damn tough to beat. I died far too many times for someone that knows exactly what I'm supposed to do... (I will admit, however, that I was fighting him without being at an appropriate level for the fight) I'll post a video sometime of that boss encounter. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!

Edit of my previous edit: Screw it, I decided to put up the video anyway. The last half of the Edward fight is cut off, but you still get to see some of the features. I have also added the bosses abilities in the description. Please keep in mind that these are only works in progress and are by no means final.

Last edited:
Level 31
Good to see such an amazing update. Here are my thoughts on what could be improved and what stands out for me.

First of all, custom music is a must here, especially different tracks for a different type of areas, two to three minutes tracks doesn't eat too much of space, but I am sure you are planning to add it as this is not final.

What is more, you could really use more of custom icons, specifically custom icons would be best there where you see them a lot, for example, hero icons. If you can't find any good icon, you can simply print screen model's face and using Button Manager tool found on Hive make a decent looking icon.

Terrain is very well developed, but at some areas is looks very empty, for exmaple, those rocky paths, it is like one tile and no doodad, well it looks like it. Some small rubble on ground in such areas would do magic.

Custom UI would be really cool as well, but that's for the future I suppose. Not sure if such thing should be asked, but voice acting would improve the game a lot. It might be hard to achieve due to lots of text though. What concerns sounds, you could use some lines from standard units and run it when talk begins. Even though it would not say what is written, game wouldn't look so mute. Same goes with bossas, especially bosses. You can make a periodic trigger or trigger with conditions depending on boss fight phase what lines to run and these lines could be taken from ordinary heroes, for example, Lich voice. This would truly add more experience to the battle scenes.

On the good note, I really enjoyed environment art in the cave of spiders, it looks gorgeous. Spider eggs idea and overall look as well as spiders going down on webs is just fantastic. Edward boss looks badass. Also I really liked boss running to get some armor, looks very realistic. Treaure part looks very shiny and treasure-like, it would surely make me feel good about finding some of that shiny and precious stuff. Good job, this will be big. :)

Level 14
@Duke: Thanks! I have been trying to figure out a way to do something like that for a while and it finally came to me :)

@APproject: Wow! Thanks for the great suggestions. As you may have guessed I was planning on implementing some of those already, but I love the idea of a quick word of dialog when you talk to someone or get a quest. I'll be doing that for sure. I am also looking for a good custom UI.

@Heinvers: I'm glad you liked it. Always nice to see you around here.

Also I don't know if you noticed, but I put some information about the bosses abilities in the description of the video.

EDIT: Aaaaaand one more :)

This one shows the terrain of the catacombs under Stonehaven. There is still more work that needs to be done, but it shows you some of what I have done. There is also a miniboss fight with The Creature. (This is also not quite finished)

Last edited:

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
It looks great, I just have a few suggestions.

1. Some areas need some vegetation and doodads.
2. I suggest you look around for some icons that match more with each other, current icons don't match thus drawing you away from the game.
3. Have you thought of implementing a decision system? You dont have to add morale or anything. For example you can get different loot if you choose to kill or spare one of the bosses or something like that, just to give it some replayability and to make it more interesting.

Other than that its looking great, the boss fights and locations are interesting, I wish you the best of luck and if you need any ideas, suggestions or help just ask me.

Level 14
@bethmachine:

Thanks for the suggestions.
1. I'm still working on the terrain of course. I'm sure you are talking about the empty looking areas, which are just areas I haven't worked on much yet
2. At this point icons are a secondary concern, but I will find some good ones that match each other nicely. These are only placeholder icons at the moment. I'll probably get some of CRAZYRUSSIAN's icons.
3. As far as a decision making system goes, there are certain quests that have decisions that involve different outcomes. For example, should I kill the leader of these bandits? should I let him live and join them? should I let him live but have the authorities arrest him? etc. There are also some quests where you have to recover a stolen chest of gold. You can decide to keep the gold or return it and gain other rewards. Some of the decisions will actually have a larger impact on the game as well.

@Mythic:

I'm glad you like them. I've been trying to make the combat ability driven and exciting. There is still the ability to auto attack, but you definitely deal the most damage with abilities. I also gave them short cooldowns and low mana costs to allow them to be used more without having to wait forever and auto attack waiting for a cooldown

@ APproject:

Thanks! I have been experimenting with different ways to make the traps, I also have a rolling trap where a spiked wheel rolls down some stairs and must be avoided. I wanted to make the catacombs challenging without just making it the same as every other map.

Level 14
Nothing right now I'm afraid. I've gotten busy at work and haven't had much time. I've also be looking for inspiration to hit me. Been playing some POE and watching Game of Thrones. It helps a little, I just need to get back into it.

Level 14
Here is a small update:

I have been working on some passive abilities and debuffs lately. I have a passive for Lithion that gives him a chance to riposte which swings an ethereal sword around Lithion when he is attacked, dealing damage to the attacker.

Passives can be upgraded throughout the game to increase their damage, their chance to cast, their range, etc. Each hero will have their own passives along with passives that are shared with all three heroes.

Glainor's shield has a chance to block, nullifying damage taken. This can be especially useful against enemies with a high attack speed.

I have also started including buffs and debuffs. For example certain enemies can cause a Wounded debuff. This means there is a chance that attacks against you will deal extra damage. I also have a Shocked debuff that causes you to take extra damage from attacks for a short time. There are also other ones like decreases in armor, attack speed, movement speed etc. I've been trying to come up with ways of making them more unique.

I've also been working on buffs that can be gained by the heroes to do the opposites of the debuffs. They can increase attack and movement speed. Increase chances to critical hits and increase critical hit damage. I want to make the use of them strategic without being overly complicated.

The most recent thing I have been working on is transferring the inventory cache from map to map. It is working wonderfully, but unfortunately I'm having some ongoing issues with the map crashing when switching maps. I have narrowed it down to something with Glainor. I can't figure out what it is, but when making transitions between maps it will work most of the time. And other times after the loading screen finishes and I try to enter the map, it crashes. I can only assume it has something to do with his stats causing a problem when I try to load them... There may be a connection with the items he carries, but further testing is needed.

That's my update on my progress for now. Sorry about the long text with no screenies... maybe next time

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
Glad to see the on-going development of this map, the updates are intresting especially the buffs, something about that ability you mentioned in the first pharagraph reminds me of axe from dota, but it's still a good idea you thought of. Sad there wasn't screenies to water my eyes but this update is more than enough for me so good luck. I want to see this map completed.

Level 14
I thought it was about time that I added some screenshots of what I've been working on lately. I migrated back to the terrain and have been working on a couple of areas that I like. They are both in Mountain City of Stonehaven in the Callienth Mountains.

The first ones are of a Mage's Tower where magic folk work on their experiments and such. I don't have anything of the interior done yet, but I'm looking forward to working on it.

The other ones are of the Tower Barracks where many of the men in the Stonehaven Guard live. There is a hoist and winch that can haul people and supplies to the top of the tower. This one will also have an interior that I haven't started yet.

Attachments

• Mage's Tower 02.png
    Mage's Tower 02.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
  • Mage's Tower Hoist.png
    Mage's Tower Hoist.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
  • Mage's Tower.png
    Mage's Tower.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 67
  • Tower Barracks 01.png
    Tower Barracks 01.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
  • Tower Barracks Hoist.png
    Tower Barracks Hoist.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
Level 14
As of right now the elevator doesn't elevate. I'll try working on something to make it possible, but without much modelling experience it might be difficult. I'm thinking I could edit the elevator model that blizzard already has, but I'd have to add the ropes and then make the hanging rope shorter as they ascended.

So, in short, no. Not yet at least.

The runes on the Mage's Door is a magical seal and mostly decoration. But I like the idea of making it a puzzle (prove you are worthy to enter)

Thanks for the feedback and the ideas! Always appreciated!

Level 14
I'm afraid there is no link yet. I have the maps playable enough for me to do some testing, but there really isn't much in the way of quests yet. Once I have enough of the main story line quests done I will probably open this up for some alpha testing. I want to have enough done that the player knows where to go and can test the movement back and forth between maps.

Level 14
So, I am obsessed with making extra areas on my maps that are enterable from elsewhere on the map. I love enterable buildings and caves, etc. I have always felt it really made a map seem realistic and help with immersion into the game. I also feel like it makes the maps seem extra interactive. So I thought I'd show you some screenshots of the interiors I have so far in my Callienth Mountains map.

Attachments

• Interiors 01.png
    Interiors 01.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
  • Interiors 02.png
    Interiors 02.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
  • Interiors 03.png
    Interiors 03.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • Interiors 04.png
    Interiors 04.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 95
  • Interiors 05.png
    Interiors 05.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 106
  • Interiors 06.png
    Interiors 06.png
    904.4 KB · Views: 87
Level 14
So I have a possible boss ability that I want to throw by ya. Let me know if you think this would be something fun and challenging, or annoying and stupid.

Basically you would have an Ice based boss battle. One of the abilities this boss would have would be to summon an icy spike from the ground somewhere in the vicinity of one of the heroes. The hero would be randomly chosen and so would the distance away (between x and y distance) and the offset angle would be random as well. The ice spike itself doesn't deal any damage, but it has a taunt ability so it would force the heroes to attack it every 2 or 3 seconds.
Now, if one of the heroes does end up attacking the spike, it will erupt in an icy nova that will freeze the attacking hero in place for a few seconds so it cannot move or attack. In addition if any of the other heroes are near enough it will freeze them too for a shorter duration.
Basically once the spike comes up you have to make sure the heroes stay far enough away that they cannot attack it. You also have to keep them moving or attacking the boss so they don't attack it. This could be especially difficult with Hundalor since he is a ranged hero.

What do you think. Interesting and Fun, or Lame and Annoying?

Level 14
Ya that was the plan. I thought of a couple of different ways.
One: The spike lasts for 8 to 10 seconds then is gone.
Two: The spike lasts as long as there is a unit in the area of effect. As soon as all the heroes move far enough away the spike retreats.

I'm leaning towards number 2, but usually I just make it and test it and see what I like the best.

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
Good to see you still putting more innovation to this already innovative project!
I would also go with the second one, but just test it out to see which one works best.

Level 14
As long as there is an indication that the spike will spawn on that area then I have no problem. Its very unique for a War3 boss fight imo.

Good call, I will do that for sure. I always like when there are clues telling you what is going to happen. This keeps you on your toes and makes the boss fight more of a puzzle than an auto attack fest.

I'll be sure to post screenshots or a little video when I finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.