• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

List of Hidden Material within the World Editor

I tried to remove overlaps, but I apologize if there are any still in this list:

replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btngloveofspellmastery.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btngemfragment.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnairattackon.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnairattackoff.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btncrate.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnenchantedcrows.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnenchantedvial.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnessenceofaszune.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnflaregun.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnflute.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btngrimoireofsouls.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnhelmofbattlethirst.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnjainanote.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnkegofthunderwater.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnmogrinsreport.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnorbofkiljaeden.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnrejuvpotion.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnresstone.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnringofthearchmagi.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnscepterofhealing.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnscrolluber.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnsearingblade.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnshadoworbfragment.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnshieldofdeathlord.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnshieldofhonor.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnskeletalartifact.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnskeletonminion.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnskullshield.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnthickfur.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btnthunderbloombulb.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btntomeofagility.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btntomeofintelligence.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btntomeofpower.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btntomeofsacrifices.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btntomeofstrength.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttons\btntotemofmight.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttonsdisabled\btndevotion 1.dds
replaceabletextures\commandbuttonsdisabled\btndevotion 2.dds

I also managed to find some alternate icons for a few units/spells in a different directory today. Unfortunately, those icons all use the same paths as their counterparts, so if someone wanted to use them they'd have to import them. I may upload them in the Icons section some time later on.

I've managed to find some hidden models over the last few days. The first bunch are technically "doodads" but they really work better as spell effects, and I've included a rough interpretation of what they do in brackets.

doodads\cinematic\campaign_human09\frostshockwave.mdx (Large frost explosion)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_human09\malganisdeath.mdx (Small frost explosion)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_human09\frostmournecharging.mdx (Frost "vacuum" effect)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_human09\frostimpact.mdx (Medium frost explosion)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead05\corruptenergy.mdx (Green smoke/lights - stand/birth/death)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead05\energyoutro.mdx (Yellow lights - transforms into green smoke/lights)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead05\holyenergy.mdx (Yellow lights - stand/birth/death)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead05\icebridgebirth.mdx (Massive frost wind)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead05\kelthuzadbegin.mdx (green lights)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead05\kelthuzadend.mdx (Similar to Dark Summoning)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead05\sylvanasbirth.mdx (Black smoke "vacuum" effect)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead05\waterfalltransitionplanes.mdl (large water doodad)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead08\archimondebirth.mdx (crazy fel effect with a pentagram and explosion at the end)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead08\archimondeborn.mdx (fel flame)
doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead08\lichchannel.mdx (similar to archimondebirth but has stand/birth/death)

doodads\underground\structures\gporticuliswallendcap\gporticuliswallendcap.mdx
doodads\dungeon\structures\porticuliswallendcap\porticuliswallendcap.mdx
doodads\ruins\plants\ruins_shrub\ruins_shrub3.mdl
doodads\ruins\plants\ruins_shrub\ruins_shrub4.mdl
doodads\ruins\plants\ruins_rush\ruins_rush2.mdl
doodads\ruins\plants\ruins_rush\ruins_rush3.mdl
objects\inventoryitems\thunderbloombulb\thunderbloombulb.mdx (blue version of shimmerweed)

Level 14
doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead05\corruptenergy.mdx (Green smoke/lights - stand/birth/death)

doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead08\archimondebirth.mdx (crazy fel effect with a pentagram and explosion at the end)

doodads\cinematic\campaign_undead08\lichchannel.mdx (similar to archimondebirth but has stand/birth/death)
My god, these ones look amazing! I was really annoyed at how few green fire / fel demon style effects there were in the game, but these ones look incredible.

Level 3
The thread is finally complete!

I checked the 5 pages to look for resources you notified and I had forgotten to add and I've finally took the time to upload the Doodad list.

Last changes:
5/12/2020 | Completed List
- Added all Doodads by alphabetical order
- Added missing Icons
- Sorted unit Icons by alphabetical order
- Added missing Models
- Replaced missing attachments for Missiles & Effects
- Sorted Missiles & Effects by alphabetical order
- Updated Thread banner

I would now ask a moderator to put this list in sticky or in the tutorial category (basically the same way the classic list is stored).

Let me know if there is anything I should change.

I still want to add a downloadable map to that, but I'll do that later.

They do show up differently for me: View attachment 369455
Using:
View attachment 369456
and
View attachment 369457
Hey, thank you for your work.
Are those high elves in the upper right corner of your screenshot custom or is this a hidden model? Could not find this model in the list.

Level 18
I tried to remove overlaps, but I apologize if there are any still in this list:
The icons look amazing!

upload_2021-2-28_15-13-32.png

I added every icons you found. Tweaking the pathing, I also found the passive version of the ThickFur.

I didn't went over the effects and doodads you found yet.

Thank you very much for your additions!

Level 18
The 40 icons found by @SADGASM are, like the other icons here, hidden assets within the World Editor.

You can find them like the rest uploaded before.

I found them to be of pretty high quality compared to the others.

I'm wondering why have they been made but not used.
The only answer I'm thinking about is that they wanted to create new icons for items (or skills) that were previously (in Classic) using upgrade icons (or others) but figured out mid-way they couldn't, because it would make it impossible to switch from Classic to Reforged graphics.

Last edited:

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
The 40 icons found by @SADGASM are, like the other icons here, hidden assets within the World Editor.

You can find them like the rest uploaded before.

I found them to be of pretty high quality compared to the others.

I'm wondering why have they been made but not used.
The only answer I'm thinking about is that they wanted to create new icons for items (or skills) that were previously (in Classic) using upgrade icons (or others) but figured out mid-way they couldn't, because it would make it impossible to switch from Classic to Reforged graphics.

I guess it's the same issue for some unique characters and special units not having their own models

Level 21
full

I just used the IllidanWagon model path and I got this...
Do own Warcraft III Reforged and it's updated to the latest patch that's out there...

Know any reason on why I have this issue, and would like if the Blood Elf Archer got a red update too and not have blue near her like the Swordsman.

full

I just used the IllidanWagon model path and I got this...
Do own Warcraft III Reforged and it's updated to the latest patch that's out there...

Know any reason on why I have this issue, and would like if the Blood Elf Archer got a red update too and not have blue near her like the Swordsman.

Reforged - Illidan fel crystal wagon is gone

They've removed it, the model is uploaded here though, and I notified Kam about it who has passed the issue onto Blizzard.

Also there's no red archer in the game however Moonman has made a really good recolour here:

Blood Elf / Silver Coveneant Archer (Request)

Reactions: pyf
Level 21
Reforged - Illidan fel crystal wagon is gone

They've removed it, the model is uploaded here though, and I notified Kam about it who has passed the issue onto Blizzard.

Also there's no red archer in the game however Moonman has made a really good recolour here:

Blood Elf / Silver Coveneant Archer (Request)

Thank you man!

I thought my Warcraft III Reforged was bugged out for some reason and such...

I'll look into those links and that will help out a lot since the Blood Elves need a more their look to them and they kinda need a Hawkstrider Rider mount to the variant of the Knight unit and such...

Level 18
Hey there :)

Sorry for double posting.

I'm sorry I still didn't take the time to upload the effects and other doodads found.

I'm in the middle of moving to a new place as well as releasing a big update for the game I'm working on.

Therefore I'm not much available these days, I'll make sure to do it as soon as I can. It should take 2 to 3 weeks from now on.

Pretty weird that I'm checking both model and .slk and doodadskins data right now and well they are alright. I can't check them ingame since I don't have my computer that has got reforged set up. Can you launch this map and check if it is still like that ingame?

Edit: In anycase I've found the problem the name NSRa in doodadskins.txt is same as the name nsra(which is stormreaver apprentice), probably because of that new skin system being .txt based and not being .slk based is causing this. Changing the NSRa in doodadskins.txt to NSR2 and using the edited .txt as a local file will 99% will solve it since I don't think NSR2 is overlapping with another thing (atleast not a doodad or unit for sure) I'd be happy if someone can test it (1st allow local files then make a folder called doodads in your _retail folder and put this inside of it)

Attachments

• doodadskins.txt
    304.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Level 18

After almost 3 months of efforts, I finally setup my new apartment to be exactly like I wanted. It was a wild run, sorry for disappearing during those times but between my work and that, I had little to no spare time.

I'm now setup and I have added all the special effects mentioned by @SADGASM .

Though I'm having an issue with Retera Model Studio (out of the blue), and it was what I'm using to take screenshots of the models.

I know it's not the right place to ask for it, but I figure out I could dump the screenshot errors here in case someone know what's up.

Launching Retera now pops this error window:
1625399248404.png

Pressing "OK" brings me here:
1625399280530.png

Though I haven't changed anything and it was previously working :eyebrow:

If you guys have any clue on why it's not working anymore and how to fix it, I'd be glad.

In any case, I've went ahead and added the new special effects, enjoy! :D

Added:
1625399753412.png

Last edited:

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33

After almost 3 months of efforts, I finally setup my new apartment to be exactly like I wanted. It was a wild run, sorry for disappearing during those times but between my work and that, I had little to no spare time.

Though I'm having an issue with Retera Model Studio (out of the blue), and it was what I'm using to take screenshots of the models.

I know it's not the right place to ask for it, but I figure out I could dump the screenshot errors here in case someone know what's up.

View attachment 382738
View attachment 382739

If you guys have any clue on why it's not working anymore and how to fix it, I'd be glad.

Added:
View attachment 382755
is that the latest version? latest WC3 patch breaks outdated RMS versions

Level 20

View attachment 382738
View attachment 382739

Added:
View attachment 382755
You just need to go to the tools section and download a newer version. This happened a few months ago. Only issue is you get a nag screen every time you open it now (the supposed .05 version is too unstable at the moment to act on the information)

Level 18
Hey there!

Thanks for your help, getting the latest version did work instantly without me doing anything.

Also thanks to Retera as usual :)

I just uploaded the hidden doodads:
1626878649936.png

I should have imported everything you found out guys. Let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks for your help!

Awaiting for your other wonderful findings!

In the meantime, happy summer <3

Last edited:
Hmm. It might just be me, but it appears that ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNTome2 no longer appears in the World Editor. Might have to check it again, though. I copied and pasted the exact text from here.

But back to this list of hidden materials, I do love me some alternate versions--models and icons--to sate me when trying to make a map. It also shows that Blizzard didn't complete the game's production after all. Many bonus campaign item icons should be used from here, like Rexxar and Rokhan's earned items (based on the items that are given to the Heroes when you open up the last bonus campaign map).

It's a shame, though. I hope they make an update where they finally utilise these icons. Oh! And I love the Vengeance Incarnate icon and Maiev's Avatar model. I was trying to make a similar ability to Metamorphosis or Avatar for her, but she doesn't do anything when the ability is cast. I even tried giving the spell animation names: spell, throw, slam. I wish someone would stitch these two models--Reforged Maiev and Maiev's Avatar--like the Demon Hunter's. But I digres...

I will bookmark this thread, so when I make some project, I can use these unused assets. Thank you for listing them, @Goffterdom.

But back to this list of hidden materials, I do love me some alternate versions--models and icons--to sate me when trying to make a map. It also shows that Blizzard didn't complete the game's production after all. Many bonus campaign item icons should be used from here, like Rexxar and Rokhan's earned items (based on the items that are given to the Heroes when you open up the last bonus campaign map).
I seem to recall someone mentioning elsewhere that the main reason the new item icons for the bonus campaign items were never used was because Classic SD versions were never made, and they wanted to keep the items consistent across both versions. It's funny how important consistency was to them in this one instance, in contrast to so many other features of Reforged. Regardless, the unused Reforged icons are mostly pretty great and I'm glad they at least exist within the Editor files and can be used without having to be imported :)

I seem to recall someone mentioning elsewhere that the main reason the new item icons for the bonus campaign items were never used was because Classic SD versions were never made, and they wanted to keep the items consistent across both versions. It's funny how important consistency was to them in this one instance, in contrast to so many other features of Reforged. Regardless, the unused Reforged icons are mostly pretty great and I'm glad they at least exist within the Editor files and can be used without having to be imported :)
Ah, that makes sense. And yeah, it is nice to still see them in the files. :grin:

Level 6
I found out something interesting. The game contains additional icons with "reduced gore", i think they are the ones used when some sort of content filter is set, as thay have the same path and the same style, i'll try to find a way to make them show up in the editor (if there's any), as expecially the Abomination looks really good.

EDIT: ok, the extra content is for the "teen mode", or rather chinese mode, they seem coded in a way it's impossible to access them normally... still it IS in fact possible to extract them and import them as if they were any custom model.
Adding example for reference.

Attachments

• btnabomination.jpg
    btnabomination.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 20
  • _0.jpg
    _0.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 16
  • btnclawsofattack.jpg
    btnclawsofattack.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 14
  • _1.jpg
    _1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Level 6
Found something i was not looking for, may not be relevant, still.
UI\Feedback\Resources\ResourceSupply.blp is the default food indicator in the resource bar, but there are also:
UI\Feedback\Resources\ResourceHuman.blp
UI\Feedback\Resources\ResourceOrc.blp
UI\Feedback\Resources\ResourceNightelf.blp
UI\Feedback\Resources\ResourceUndead.blp
these may be useful to change the interface for some sort of custom map.
there is also UI\Feedback\Resources\Resourcemanastone.blp for some reason.
These do not seem to have been upscaled with reforged, but neither has the default lumber one.

Level 6
Found hidden items
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNstaffofpreservation2.blp (It is very similar to the staff of preservation, but the background is black)
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNstaffofpurification.blp
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNstaffofreanimation.blp
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNstasistrapskill.blp (has a little more sparkles)

Last edited:

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
I found out something interesting. The game contains additional icons with "reduced gore", i think they are the ones used when some sort of content filter is set, as thay have the same path and the same style, i'll try to find a way to make them show up in the editor (if there's any), as expecially the Abomination looks really good.

EDIT: ok, the extra content is for the "teen mode", or rather chinese mode, they seem coded in a way it's impossible to access them normally... still it IS in fact possible to extract them and import them as if they were any custom model.
Adding example for reference.
ah, some of these are in Fixed Original Reforged Models - chinese units

Found something i was not looking for, may not be relevant, still.
UI\Feedback\Resources\ResourceSupply.blp is the default food indicator in the resource bar, but there are also:
UI\Feedback\Resources\ResourceHuman.blp
UI\Feedback\Resources\ResourceOrc.blp
UI\Feedback\Resources\ResourceNightelf.blp
UI\Feedback\Resources\ResourceUndead.blp
these may be useful to change the interface for some sort of custom map.
there is also UI\Feedback\Resources\Resourcemanastone.blp for some reason.
These do not seem to have been upscaled with reforged, but neither has the default lumber one.
Aside from not being upscaled, they weren't redrawn and have the essence of Classic/SD graphics, so this would most likely be for Classic. Like the 'AmbushDay' for High/Blood Elves in the game. You can toggle said icon by entering "ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNAmbushDay.blp" in the Custom tab when choosing a different icon. It still has the SD frame even if you toggle it whilst in Reforged/HD graphics.

Level 18
Hey there!

I'll check the different assets you've been sending these past weeks. Sorry for not checking those earlier, but I was waiting for a little bit "more" content to check out all at once.

Thanks for the reports lads!