• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[linux] how to World Editor now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
As stated on WineHQ, to get Warcraft III 1.31 working it is to be run with this option
Code:
-graphicsapi Direct3D9
, but the same solution doesn't seem to fix World Editor.

When I start it up, terrain editor doesn't render its minimap, model viewer and terrain view, while every other editor properly shows up. The editor then crashes after a few seconds.

So, the problem seems to be with graphics clearly, and probably because the option is not recognized by WE.
Anyone got it worked?

Arch linux, updated a week ago.
Wine version 4.8 staging with a list of workarounds for the latest Steam Skyrim test results applied.

~El

Level 17
As stated on WineHQ, to get Warcraft III 1.31 working it is to be run with this option
Code:
-graphicsapi Direct3D9
, but the same solution doesn't seem to fix World Editor.

When I start it up, terrain editor doesn't render its minimap, model viewer and terrain view, while every other editor properly shows up. The editor then crashes after a few seconds.

So, the problem seems to be with graphics clearly, and probably because the option is not recognized by WE.
Anyone got it worked?

Arch linux, updated a week ago.
Wine version 4.8 staging with a list of workarounds for the latest Steam Skyrim test results applied.

My solution was to rely on the fact that the current patch runs on DX11 and use DXVK to emulate DX11 via Vulkan. Obviously you'll need a graphics card and drivers that support Vulkan.

There might be some additional dependencies I had to install, those were mostly just resolved by looking at what libs WC3/WE were trying to load and failing.

As of now, both WC3 and WE work for me just fine using DX11 as the rendering backend.

EDIT: Since you're on Arch, here's an AUR package that I used for easy DXVK setup: AUR (en) - dxvk-bin

EDIT2: I also suggest running WC3 inside a virtual desktop. I have a bunch of scripts to automate this, feel free to use them as a reference:

Code:
# w3wine command
#!/bin/bash

export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/WinePrefixes/Warcraft

"$@"

Code:
# start-wc3 command
#!/bin/bash

w3wine wine64 explorer /desktop=wc3,2560x1440 "/home/mori/WinePrefixes/Warcraft/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Warcraft III/x86_64/Warcraft III.exe" "$@"

Level 3
The same option helped me:
Bash:
wine World\ Editor.exe -graphicsapi Direct3D9

If you willing to install vulkan, you can do it like it is described here How to Enable Vulkan Rendering in Wine Games using DXVK
In my case, I just had to download vulkan from here Releases · doitsujin/dxvk and run:
Bash:
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine" ./setup_dxvk.sh install
(btw I have wine-6.13 (Staging) on kde neon, which is an ubuntu lts flavour)
After that, to confirm that vulkan is used:
Bash:
DXVK_HUD=1 wine Warcraft\ III.exe
Screenshot_20211111_141536.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.