• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Limit Remover problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spell98

Banned
Level 1
Hello am new to this site and i still really don't know how it works.
honestly i came here cause of the limit remover and it's still not working for me
i literally removed and downloaded it like 200times but when i join the game it keeps going me back to the multiplayer window
oh and i play in GameRanger.

i'll show an example:
upload_2019-7-17_17-48-18.png

So when i try to join into a room which is hosting a big map such as LTA
it just keeps leading me to the multiplayer window again it doesn't want to join.

upload_2019-7-17_17-50-41.png

the file is literally there!
but still can't join a big map in 1.26a

Hope someone help me with this annoying problem.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I am not sure many people here can help you anymore as 1.26a has become an unsupported version and the features you are trying to use have been removed and made obsolete to some extent.

Your best bet would be to ask the question on the tool resource itself. Hopefully the author is still active and will be notified of the comment. If not then maybe some other user of the tool might have found the solution.

In any case it is my understanding that .mix files were loaded from a specific folder. Hence extracting a folder containing them into the install folder will not work as the game will not try to load them. I think the .mix files are audio plugin files and so need to be placed along side all other audio plugin files to trick the game into loading them. Since this is technically arbitrary/insecure code execution, the feature was never officially supported and is no longer usable in the current version of Warcraft III.

The map size limit for the current version of Warcraft III is 256 MB. Very few maps have been made that approach this limit and the ones that do are usually large scale asset overhauls or use excessive numbers of unoptimized assets.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Hello am new to this site and i still really don't know how it works.
Rules & Information

[...] honestly i came here cause of the limit remover and it's still not working for me [...] when i join the game it keeps going me back to the multiplayer window
oh and i play in GameRanger. [...]

upload_2019-7-17_17-50-41-png.328170

the file is literally there!
but still can't join a big map in 1.26a [...]
It is not a file, it is a folder (or a directory if you prefer). The files are inside the folder.

Please read these threads:
- Warcraft III HOW TO GET 8MB+ limit (just a repost hopefully be clearer one)
- Warcraft III bypass map file size limit. [ver.6]

You may also ask your question directly here:
GameRanger - Support - Game Problem
... or visit the GameRanger discussion forum.

Lastly, I can not help but notice that your WC3 folder includes the file MoviePatcher, which feels quite odd for a v1.26a version of the game.

[...] 1.26a has become an unsupported version [...]
@Dr Super Good: By whom? GameRanger?

[...] In any case it is my understanding that .mix files were loaded from a specific folder. Hence extracting a folder containing them into the install folder will not work as the game will not try to load them. I think the .mix files are audio plugin files and so need to be placed along side all other audio plugin files to trick the game into loading them. Since this is technically arbitrary/insecure code execution, the feature was never officially supported and is no longer usable in the current version of Warcraft III. [...]
.mix files are loaded automatically from where the Warcraft III executable is. Beginning with v1.30.0, this feature was lost when Blizzard dropped the Miles Sound System and decided to use FMOD Ex instead.

[...] The map size limit for the current version of Warcraft III is 256 MB. Very few maps have been made that approach this limit and the ones that do are usually large scale asset overhauls or use excessive numbers of unoptimized assets.
According to @TriggerHappy, the current limit is around 270 MB, something he also says was never mentioned in any patch notes.

With the upcoming WC3:R, we can already prepare ourselves for globally larger maps files, with *many* unoptimized assets in them. And maybe the raise from 128MB (with Patch 1.27b) to a higher value will be officially mentioned in the official WC3:R Patch notes.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
@Dr Super Good: By whom? GameRanger?
THW and Blizzard.
.mix files are loaded automatically from where the Warcraft III executable is. Beginning with v1.30.0, this feature was lost when Blizzard dropped the Miles Sound System and decided to use FMOD Ex instead.
Yes they fixed the potential security exploit it posed.
According to @TriggerHappy, the current limit is around 270 MB, something he also says was never mentioned in any patch notes.
Kam mentioned it was raised to 256 MB in a thread comment. He also clarified that it was meant to be mentioned it patch notes but for some reason was overlooked. The actual amount would be slightly different depending on how the limit is measured or where it comes from.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
THW and Blizzard.
So, how is this comment relevant at all?

Yes they fixed the potential security exploit it posed.
Blizzard dropped the Miles Sound System (which is still developed btw) altogether, and therefore everything associated to it in the process, be it good or bad. Nothing else, and nothing more.

Kam mentioned it was raised to 256 MB in a thread comment. He also clarified that it was meant to be mentioned it patch notes but for some reason was overlooked. The actual amount would be slightly different depending on how the limit is measured or where it comes from.
Credit goes to @Paddy for being afaik the first one to mention on THW that one "can now play maps bigger then the size of 128MB on battle.net with other people". He has created a new thread on December 5, 2018 to inform us (including Hive officials!) about this undocumented feature, at a time when v1.30.2 (released on November 2018) was the current version. To this day, the exact version when the change occurred is still unknown afaik (@Kam please?).

Since then, Blizzard has been consistently overlooking the mentioning of the change in their official patch notes. No mention of it with Patch 1.30.3 (January 2019), 1.30.4 (January/February 2019), 1.31.0 (May 2019), 1.31.1 (June 2019). It is safe to assume that this feature may get more exposure when WC3:R gets released, and then we will know what the final official amount is. Hey, it could be raised even further if Blizzard decides it is appropriate to do so for WC3:R

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Since then, Blizzard has been consistently overlooking the mentioning of the change in their official patch notes. No mention of it with Patch 1.30.3 (January 2019), 1.30.4 (January/February 2019), 1.31.0 (May 2019), 1.31.1 (June 2019). It is safe to assume that this feature may get more exposure when WC3:R gets released, and then we will know what the final official amount is. Hey, it could be raised even further if Blizzard decides it is appropriate to do so for WC3:R
They are reluctant to add it to the patch notes because people will incorrectly think it is a new feature with that patch. It was meant to be in one of the patch notes but it was overlooked by mistake, something which does happen with even the best game developers.

I would suggest that the limit be mentioned somewhere within World Editor so that future map makers who have not read old patch notes can be aware of the limit without resorting to asking peers.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
They are reluctant to add it to the patch notes because people will incorrectly think it is a new feature with that patch. It was meant to be in one of the patch notes but it was overlooked by mistake, something which does happen with even the best game developers.
Likewise, I wonder if War3Mod.mpq was meant to be mentioned in any patch notes from the 1.28.x / 1.29.x era... Credit goes to @TriggerHappy for being the first to mention that one on THW by its full file name on June 3, 2017.

But hey I would definitively agree it happens to the best, as well as to the not so best, to make mistakes...

I would suggest that the limit be mentioned somewhere within World Editor so that future map makers who have not read old patch notes can be aware of the limit without resorting to asking peers.
This is a suggestion for another thread...

Because this thread seems to be really about v1.26a and about a third party service which neither THW nor Blizzard are involved with regarding tech support, I am mentioning here that modified versions of the file game.dll available for several previous versions of the game (including v1.26a) can raise the file size limit way higher than any official version of WC3 currently does (possibly, for maps as big as addressable virtual memory can allow on 32-bit OSes). This is so that future map makers using v1.26a (or any other version) can be aware of the limit without resorting to asking peers.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You told him to activate Windows.
Again, what would a non-activated version of Windows change, regarding GameRanger?

Well, I never tried 1.26 via GameRanger if I recall correctly. The first time I played LAN like that was since 1.27.
Warcraft 3 and Gameranger issues
Never used third party programs either.
You say you maybe never tried 1.26a via GameRanger, and you also say that you never used third party programs either.
This thread is about someone running v1.26a and who is trying to use a third party program (as a .mix file).

So, how is this helpful?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
You told him to activate Windows.
It's an obvious joke. You don't have to post two comments about it.
You say you maybe never tried 1.26a via GameRanger, and you also say that you never used third party programs either.
This thread is about someone running v1.26a and who is trying to use a third party program (as a .mix file).

So, how is this helpful?
Pointing out that third party software might cause issues when trying to play via GameRanger?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Pointing out that third party software might cause issues when trying to play via GameRanger?
Except he was not using the .mix file, because he does not seem to know the difference between a file and a folder. Please watch his screenshot more carefully. As @gusanomental pointed out, he should very probably put the .mix file where his WC3 executable is, first and foremost.

He should also ask which version(s) of the game are still currently supported by GameRanger, and especially if v1.26a still is.
He should also ask if GameRanger supports the method of using a mix file to extend the file size limit (the other one being to use a modified game.dll file).

Does anybody on THW have the answers?

It's an obvious joke. You don't have to post two comments about it.
I had to post twice, because you did not answer my question regarding Windows activation and GameRanger.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Does anybody on THW have the answers?
Guess, somebody's gotta install 1.26 and that limit remover and find out.

So when i try to join into a room which is hosting a big map such as LTA
it just keeps leading me to the multiplayer window again it doesn't want to join.
We're assuming those other people use the same game and limiter version.

Status
Not open for further replies.