• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Let's do some riddles, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
See, I am now very bored, so I figured, "How about some riddles!" And I noticed that all the other riddle threads were closed (Probably due to being ancient).

Post your riddles here, and answer to the ones already posted, I'll get this started:

Unlimited money? (Solved by En Fuego)
All-right, I have a box.
Now, we both put twenty in the box. Then I sell it to you for thirty:
Which means that I put twenty bucks into a box, and got thirty for it.
And you also placed twenty bucks there, and got a box with forty for thirty bucks. Shouldn't that leave us both with ten more dollars each?

Where did it all go wrong?

Where's the last dollar? (Solved by En Fuego)
Three men walks into a hotel to buy a room for the night. The receptionist tells them that the room costs thirty dollars, and so they pay ten bucks each.

Later on, the receptionist discovers that the room is in reality only 25$, and sends the piccolo up with five dollars to the guests. He decides to keep two for himself, and gives one to each of the guests. Now;

The three men paid 9$ each, and the piccolo grabbed two for himself:

9 * 3 = 27 + 2 = 29, where is the last dollar?

Which way to London? (Solved by Steel Stallion)
This is a pretty known one:

You're somewhere in the middle of England, and have decided to go to London. On the way you loose your way and end up in a small village.

You ask around for directions until you meet an old wife of a farmer. She tells you that if you drive North, you'll find your way to a crossroad. Sitting there, are two brothers. One always tells the truth, and one always lies, and you have no idea which is which. And to make matters worse, the weird men will only answer one question.

What question do you have to ask, so that you'll find the way to London, no matter which brother you ask?

New riddles (Seeing that the other ones were solved so bleedin' fast)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sequence of numbers (Solved by Fladdermasken)

What number comes up next?

True or False much? (Solved by Fladdermasken (Yes, it is a trick question, as you may have noticed, I enjoy them))

At least one of these ten statements is false.
At least two of these ten statements are false.
At least three of these ten statements are false.
At least four of these ten statements are false.
At least five of these ten statements are false.
At least six of these ten statements are false.
At least seven of these ten statements are false.
At least eight of these ten statements are false.
At least nine of these ten statements are false.
At least ten of these ten statements are false.

Only one of these statements is true? Which one? (And honestly, I don't know, someone told me this one in Facebook chat earlier today.)

Measuring milk: (Solved by Fladdermasken)

You're baking a cake of sorts, and you need 0.3 Litres of milk. You have four litres of milk, one two-litre can, one 0.4-litre can and one 1.9-litre can. You have to fill the can up full every time you are going to measure with it - If you fill to much in a can, you will loose the excess milk.

How do you get 0.3 litres of milk with your available means?

1) A man had twelve toothpicks in front of him. He took one away. Now he had nine in front of him. How is this possible? (Solved by Fladdermasken)

2) It's more powerful than God. It's more evil than the devil. The poor have it. The rich need it. If you eat it, you'll die.
What am I? (Solved by Fladdermasken)

3) The one who makes it sells it. The one who buys it doesn't use it. The one who's using it doesn't know he's using it. What is it? (Debated)

Last edited:
Level 15
That's great, you know who's the liar. But now you can't ask him which way to london since he'd only answer one question.

That one's an oldie though with many variations. The answer is to ask one what would the other man say is the way to london, and then go the other way.

If I knew who's the liar, I would just go the opposite way, because nothing good ever comes from following the path of a liar.

:ogre_kawaii:

Level 10
What's "the opposite way"?

You simply come to the cross roads, and the two are standing there. They tell you they'll only answer one question each.

The liar isn't like, standing over one way or something. lol

Not each, between them, you would only be able to ask one question. And the opposite way is the way the liar tells you not to go.

Level 15
This thread is now Jeopardy.
The Answer is...

A myoclonus of the diaphragm that repeats several times per minute. In humans, the signature sound is created by the abrupt rush of air into the lungs, causing the vocal cords to close.

You're a genius!

#2: It's actually an ugly stratagem, it complicates a very simple mathematical process by sequencing it in a cofusing manner. If each man paid $9 that equals a total $27. The bellboy has $2 and the man behind the desk has $25. 25+2=27. The remaining $3 is in the possession of the three men.

The answer is fucking irritating, but rather interesting nonetheless xD

#1: I paid $50 but get $40 in return. That's $10-, not $10+

1) A man had twelve toothpicks in front of him. He took one away. Now he had nine in front of him. How is this possible?

2) It's more powerful than God. It's more evil than the devil. The poor have it. The rich need it. If you eat it, you'll die.
What am I?

3) The one who makes it sells it. The one who buys it doesn't use it. The one who's using it doesn't know he's using it. What is it?

Level 10
You're a genius!

#2: It's actually an ugly stratagem, it complicates a very simple mathematical process by sequencing it in a cofusing manner. If each man paid $9 that equals a total $27. The bellboy has $2 and the man behind the desk has $25. 25+2=27. The remaining $3 is in the possession of the three men.

Indeed. I guide them to do the maths wrong, and add how much they've paid to how much the piccolo has got.

EDIT: Updated with new riddles.

Last edited:
Level 10
You're a genius!

#1: I paid $50 but get $40 in return. That's $10-, not $10+

1) A man had twelve toothpicks in front of him. He took one away. Now he had nine in front of him. How is this possible?

What am I?

3) The one who makes it sells it. The one who buys it doesn't use it. The one who's using it doesn't know he's using it. What is it?

1) Is it because both ends of the toothpick are like... toothpicks also?
'Cause you can pick your tooth with both ends?
So if you have these (toothpicks): ||||||, (6), If you count both ends that's
12, and then you take one away (without breaking it in half) and you would
have 10... right? Am I right?

EDIT:
Oh, never mind, it's 9. I lost the game.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
He arranged the remaining 11 toothpicks to spell out the word nine.
Code:
|\| | |\| (can't do an E but it has 4 toothpicks in it anyhow)
What am I?
Nothing.

Level 10

What am I?

These are now added to the main post under "Riddles (En Fuego)"

A) Simple, you can spell "nine" With eleven toothpicks.

B) This is a hard one, but it happens so that I just played the map "Leraux" Which set me on the taught that it could be "Nothing", though, the riddle doesn't make all that much sense to me, being an atheist.

C) Nope, can't come up with anything.

EDIT: Too late.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
There, solved them all.
Sequence of numbers

What number comes up next?
etc...

True or False much?

At least one of these ten statements is false.
At least two of these ten statements are false.
At least three of these ten statements are false.
At least four of these ten statements are false.
At least five of these ten statements are false.
At least six of these ten statements are false.
At least seven of these ten statements are false.
At least eight of these ten statements are false.
At least nine of these ten statements are false.
At least ten of these ten statements are false.

Only one of these statements is true? Which one?
Paradox much? (This statement is false is a classic paradox) - So trick question.

In case you don't see the paradox; If the statement actually is false, then the statement would simultaneously be true. If the statement actually is true, then as the statement suggests it has to be false. Logical contradiction. So if any specific number of the listed statements would be false, that invokes the classic paradox. If they are all false, that would also invoke a paradox since the statements would simultaneously be both true and false.

EDIT: Alright, fuck if it's one of those type of conundrums... It is, isn't it? Tsk, tsk.
In that case, the obvious answer is that the only true statement is this one: Only one of these statements is true

Since there isn't any number specified like with the other statements (only one of these ten statements...) that would imply that it could be included.

Measuring milk:

You're baking a cake of sorts, and you need 0.3 Litres of milk. You have four litres of milk, one two-litre can, one 0.4-litre can and one 1.9-litre can. You have to fill the can up full every time you are going to measure with it - If you fill to much in a can, you will loose the excess milk.

How do you get 0.3 litres of milk with your available means?
First, fill the 1.9 and 0.4 can and pour them both in the bowl (which I presume we have since we're baking a cake).
Now, fill the 2.0 can with the milk from the bowl.

1.9 + 0.4 - 2.0 = 0.3

Last edited:
Level 5

What am I?

1.) Dunno.

2.) Nothing. (though it breaks down since god and the devil are just figments of your imagination)

3.) A coffin.

Here's a new one I'm confident absolutely no one can figure out:

What comes next in the sequence?

edit
LOL
I posted this on the math thread :p
Just consider it solved :)
Solution:
A new integer emerges at these numbers when plotting consecutively the intervals between prime numbers. Thus, the next number is 113 (an interval of 14 emerges since the next prime is 127)

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The paragraph below is most unusual. Seemingly ordinary - and in fact, nothing is wrong with it per se. It is unusual though. Why?

"Gatsby was walking back from a visit down in Branton Hill's manufacturing district on a Saturday night. A busy day's traffic had had its noisy run; and with not many folks in sight, His Honor got along without having to stop to grasp a hand, or talk; for a mayor out of City Hall is a shining mark for any politician. And so, coming to Broadway, a booming bass drum and sounds of singing, told of a small Salvation Army unit carrying on amidst Broadway's night shopping crowds. Gatsby, walking towards that group, saw a young girl, back toward him, just finishing a long, soulful oration ... "

Level 10
The paragraph below is most unusual. Seemingly ordinary - and in fact, nothing is wrong with it per se. It is unusual though. Why?

"Gatsby was walking back from a visit down in Branton Hill's manufacturing district on a Saturday night. A busy day's traffic had had its noisy run; and with not many folks in sight, His Honor got along without having to stop to grasp a hand, or talk; for a mayor out of City Hall is a shining mark for any politician. And so, coming to Broadway, a booming bass drum and sounds of singing, told of a small Salvation Army unit carrying on amidst Broadway's night shopping crowds. Gatsby, walking towards that group, saw a young girl, back toward him, just finishing a long, soulful oration ... "

Well, in fact, some things are wrong. Capital letters and misplaced commas.
And when it comes to something unusual, all I can find is that it's quite a long walk between Broadway and Branton Hill.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Well, in fact, some things are wrong. Capital letters and misplaced commas.
This is a direct quote, so misplaced commas and capital letters are most likely intentional.
And when it comes to something unusual, all I can find is that it's quite a long walk between Broadway and Branton Hill.
Nope, that's not it. In fact, your first theory was actually warmer in a sense.

Level 26

i see what was done there

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
We've all done it before I reckon.

Color
Nationality
Beverage
Cigarette Brand
Pet
Yellow
Norwegian
Water
Dunhill
Cat
Blue
Dane
Tea
Blends
Horses
Red
English
Milk
Pall Mall
Birds
Green
German
Coffee
Prince
Fish
White
Swede
Beer
Bluemast
Dog

Gee, I hate tables >.>
i see what was done there
Apparently you do :D

Level 19

Just realized, you don't have any of the letter 'e's in that paragraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.