• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Leap v1.0

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
I noticed there was no spell looking like Leap in the spell section(except one that got rejected), and i thought of making one.

Leap - Hero jumps a distance either to avoid a deadly fight or to chase the enemy.

Hero also empowers himself and friendly units around him with bonus movespeed and attackspeed.

*This spell was meant to resemle Mirana's Leap Arrow from DotA.

-Initial Release v1.0

Keywords:
Jump, fly, leap
Contents

Leap (Map)

Reviews
12th Dec 2015 IcemanBo: Too long time as NeedsFix. Rejected. 22:37, 16th Jun 2010 Hanky: Very poor way of indexing. Change that please. After you have changed it message me or one of the other spell moderators.

M

12th Dec 2015
IcemanBo: Too long time as NeedsFix. Rejected.

22:37, 16th Jun 2010
Hanky:
Very poor way of indexing. Change that please. After you have changed it message me or one of the other spell moderators.

Level 19
your boundary stuff is crap
what if the unit gets knocked back into it facing to the center of the map?
and why do you need 4 regions for it?
there is a "leaves region" event which could be applied for playable map area
but that's not part of the spell anyway

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells.php?search=jump&d=list&r=100
we have like 20 jump spells already
why do you think we need another one?
didn't you search for "jump" but for "leap" only?"
:S
anyway this is very unoriginal

the coding is even worse
you use custom values
the max limit is unnecessary cause you can't cast a spell 8190 times in a normal map
at least it would be if you were using a decent way of associating the data with the caster
poor level support which destroys the MultiUnitInstanceability
adding storm crow form again is not needed
the jump is ugly (like this: /\ )

Last edited:
Level 15
I have to say 3 things.

For the first thing you mentioned...its just as you said that's not part of the spell, and hasn't to do anything with it.

For the second, does this have to mean anything?If you visit a big forum for example there might be spells for everything, this means that new users can't post theirs?

No one forces you to use mine, its just 1 choice more.

So what if there are many different jumps?The creteria for approving a spell is their coding...and not how many users have posted similar spells.

And for the third, yeah i know i could use hashtables etc...but i took a break from map making before hashtables came out(with the return bug thing) and started only recently, i still have to learn more about them before use them.

Before submiting a spell i have to be sure it works the way it should so what if i added a condition more?We have to consider all posibilities...

That's all.

Level 19
If you visit a big forum for example there might be spells for everything, this means that new users can't post theirs?

yes
80099d1272127077-leap-v1-0-screenshot.jpg

someone should add something like: "If I didn't read the rules but clicked the I-read-the-rules-button anyway I will give you all my money"
we would be the richest people in the world

The creteria for approving a spell is their coding

in this case you will have some problems

And for the third, yeah i know i could use hashtables etc...but i took a break from map making before hashtables came out(with the return bug thing) and started only recently, i still have to learn more about them before use them.

it can be done with basic indexing as well

We have to consider all posibilities...

imagine 5000 units standing around in the landing area
you would create a dummy for every unit and the game would break cause of that so you would need to add an exception for this, too
imagine someone changes the speed to a very big value
the unit will move outside of the map and the game will break so you are forced to implant a check to avoid this
imagine someone is using the custom values for something else
it would be fucked up

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 2,913
Level 15
But i am the creator...so what does this mean?
I don't use work of anyone else inside my map...

I don't think you are in charge of judging me...As far as i am concerned spell mods are.

There might be other ways to do this too..but what's the difference if the result is the same?

Just like you said before..."in a normal map there won't be 5000 units around".

And why should someone add so high speed?

Level 31
For the first thing you mentioned...its just as you said that's not part of the spell, and hasn't to do anything with it.

Why do you even bother to add unnecessary trigger into spells map? After all, it was uploaded here for people to import the spells. There is no need to clogged the trigger editor with unnecessary trigger.

So what if there are many different jumps?The creteria for approving a spell is their coding...and not how many users have posted similar spells.

In your case, your spells lack of the necessary efficiency.

I don't think you are in charge of judging me...As far as i am concerned spell mods are.

what makes you think your spells are going to be approve when it already been proven to be inefficient by the normal user?

There might be other ways to do this too..but what's the difference if the result is the same?

the difference was at efficiency.

using custom values was really a bad idea, if 2 spells use custom values.. it could screw up the entire progress.

I also wondering why do you even bother to make 4 array for the leap distance when it could be done in 1 just like this

630 distance + level of the unit ability * 60

That way, it would mean

level 1 - 690 distance
level 2 - 750 distance
level 3 - 810 distance

and so on...

that way, you don't need to make soo much variable array to set the distance for each level.

Last edited:
Level 15
Oh well...i never said the spell was perfect..

Keep posting what you think is wrong and i'm gonna update it soon...

And i never said it was gonna be approved...

*Can you explain me the problem of having many spells with custom vaules?If all of them are organized/made/used properly i can't see any problem...At least i never had any problem.

Level 31
Oh well...i never said the spell was perfect..

Keep posting what you think is wrong and i'm gonna update it soon...

And i never said it was gonna be approved...

*Can you explain me the problem of having many spells with custom vaules?If all of them are organized/made/used properly i can't see any problem...At least i never had any problem.

if you want opinion about your spells code, you're suppose to use trigger and script section. this section are reserves only for complete work.

As how custom value bug, here is an example for you.

Unit A cast spells X towards unit B. The spells X change the custom values of unit B to 1.

At the same time, unit B cast an spells Y which it was an channelling spells that are using custom values as well. The spells Y already change the custom values of unit B from 1 to 2.

Thus, when spells X cast at unit B while unit B custom values was still at 2; it would incidentally reset the custom values from 2 back to 1.

If there is special effect of whatever it was suppose to be execute when the unit custom values was at 2 for spells Y such as destroying special effect. The special effect would not be destroy at all.

now you know why custom value was bad?

Level 15
Hmmm...well you are right..but i guess no one uses custom values any more..so any user who downloads this one, it might be the only spell which uses custom vaules in his map..and it will work fine.

As i mentioned before i just uploaded it, as 1 spell it works prety fine, users who use it have to be aware of the dangers...

Level 31
Hmmm...well you are right..but i guess no one uses custom values any more..so any user who downloads this one, it might be the only spell which uses custom vaules in his map..and it will work fine.

As i mentioned before i just uploaded it, as 1 spell it works prety fine, users who use it have to be aware of the dangers...

If everybody have a though of "Hey!! nobody use custom values anymore!! So mine should be alright!!", then we would be having a bunch of useless spells with custom values.

And if you expect people to use it, you're then dead wrong about it. Experience triggerer like me and D4RK_G4ND4LF would just make our own version which are cleaner, better and efficient and of course, more awesome effect than just a merely jump.

As for newbie, if they discover your spells to be using custom values and knowing how custom values bug; they would just simply ignore it and request someone else to make a better version of it.

I would be brutally honest to you, you're wasting your time if you're making spells and never think of improvise the code and getting an approval for the spells cause you're building an reputation of a terrible scripter.

When everybody deem you to be terrible scripter,they would not even bother to download and used your spells in their map.

This spells of yours was unoriginal as it was make countless of time, you make it worst by not scripting it correctly and can you guess what's make it more worst? It's GUI!!

For a GUI spells, it should have an much positive and better quality in which case of yours, it don't.

Level 15
You didn't even bothered to read what i wrote in the submission..this spell is not even my idea, the execution is mine.

If you visit request section you will notice that many users ask spells from other games/maps etc... so what's wrong by making one?

Yeah, its GUI so what?GUI is user-friendly...bla bla bla i'm a programer i know what's going on behind the scenes with GUI and Jass, i've seen how GUI is horribly translated to Jass...

Does this have to mean something?There is GUI CATEGORY for gods sake...

Because you use Jass or someone else do i have to use it too?

I LIKE it, and i'm gonna use it(actually i made it for me). Approval doesn't really mean anything to me, cause what's the difference? I'm gonna use it in my maps either it gets approved or rejected.

I just thought of uploading it here so other users who were searching for it could download it. If they don't? Well its their decision not yours.

Level 31
If you visit request section you will notice that many users ask spells from other games/maps etc... so what's wrong by making one?

I just thought of uploading it here so other users who were searching for it could download it. If they don't? Well its their decision not yours.

If you want to upload it for them, then do the best and most efficient work for them. Not just a blantant defective work with the motto "As long as it work".

That is why the resources section have approve/reject status.

Yeah, its GUI so what?GUI is user-friendly...bla bla bla i'm a programer i know what's going on behind the scenes with GUI and Jass, i've seen how GUI is horribly translated to Jass...

Does this have to mean something?There is GUI CATEGORY for gods sake...

GUI might be user-friendly, but they're not efficient friendly. Hence, you got to code it as clean and as efficient as possible in which case, you failed to do so.

I LIKE it, and i'm gonna use it(actually i made it for me). Approval doesn't really mean anything to me, cause what's the difference? I'm gonna use it in my maps either it gets approved or rejected.

If you don't care, then don't upload. The rules already clearly written about it.

Performance
Submissions must be bugless, leakless, lagless on a computer that runs Warcraft III smoothly, and fully multiinstanceable. Spells using non-recycling "indexing systems" will not be accepted.

Level 5
sry but this spell lacks in .... efficiency (what a word)
if all spells would be made in for example a hero arena type map like this, the map would be unplayable laggy
and due the fact its another copy of the DotA leap, it should get rejected

Level 2
reason 3!
although I copy as identically as your original trigger, my trigger is still not working. hope you helping me. this is my trigger (all my variables, buffs, unit, etc, is the same as yours)
Code:
Leap
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to moon 3 
    Actions
        Set Leap_Counts = (Leap_Counts + 1)
        Set Leap_CountMaxSize = 8191
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                Leap_Counts Greater than Leap_CountMaxSize
            Then - Actions
                Set Leap_Counts = 1
            Else - Actions
        Unit - Set the custom value of (Casting unit) to Leap_Counts
        Unit Group - Add (Casting unit) to Leap_MoveGroup
        Set Leap_DistanceTravel[Leap_Counts] = 0.00
        Set Leap_Distance[1] = 630.00
        Set Leap_Distance[3] = 780.00
        Set Leap_Distance[4] = 840.00
        Set Leap_Distance[2] = 690.00
        Set Leap_Angle[Leap_Counts] = (Facing of (Casting unit))
        Unit - Turn collision for (Casting unit) Off
        Unit - Add Crow Form to (Casting unit)
        Unit - Remove Crow Form from (Casting unit)
        Animation - Play (Casting unit)'s walk animation
        Animation - Change (Casting unit)'s animation speed to 0.00% of its original speed
        Animation - Change (Casting unit) flying height to 300.00 at 600.00
        Trigger - Turn on Leap Move <gen>
Leap Move
    Events
        Time - Every 0.02 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in Leap_MoveGroup and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Set Leap_CustomValue = (Custom value of (Picked unit))
                Set Leap_CasterLoc = (Position of (Picked unit))
                Set Leap_Movement = (Leap_CasterLoc offset by 24.00 towards Leap_Angle[Leap_CustomValue] degrees)
                Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to Leap_Movement
                Set Leap_DistanceTravel[Leap_CustomValue] = (Leap_DistanceTravel[Leap_CustomValue] + 24.00)
                    If - Conditions
                        Leap_DistanceTravel[Leap_CustomValue] Greater than or equal to (Leap_Distance[(Level of paladin 3  for (Picked unit))] / 2.00)
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Add Crow Form to (Picked unit)
                        Unit - Remove Crow Form from (Picked unit)
                        Animation - Change (Picked unit) flying height to 0.00 at 550.00
                    Else - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                        Leap_DistanceTravel[Leap_CustomValue] Greater than or equal to Leap_Distance[(Level of paladin 3  for (Picked unit))]
                    Then - Actions
                        Set Leap_Caster = (Picked unit)
                        Set Leap_UnitGroup = (Units within 500.00 of Leap_Movement matching ((((Matching unit) is A structure) Not equal to True) and ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of (Picked unit))) Equal to True))))
                        Unit Group - Pick every unit in Leap_UnitGroup and do (Actions)
                            Loop - Actions
                                Unit - Create 1 moon 2 for (Owner of (Picked unit)) at Leap_Movement facing Default building facing degrees
                                Unit - Add 5  to (Last created unit)
                                Unit - Set level of 5  for (Last created unit) to (Level of moon 3  for Leap_Caster)
                                Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Shaman - Bloodlust (Picked unit)
                                Unit - Add a 1.50 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
                        Custom script:   call DestroyGroup (udg_Leap_UnitGroup)
                        Animation - Change (Picked unit)'s animation speed to 100.00% of its original speed
                        Unit - Turn collision for (Picked unit) On
                        Unit Group - Remove (Picked unit) from Leap_MoveGroup
                    Else - Actions
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_Leap_CasterLoc)
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_Leap_Movement)
            If - Conditions
                (Number of units in Leap_MoveGroup) Equal to 0
            Then - Actions
                Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
            Else - Actions
thanks for your help!!!