• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kirin Tor Guardian (Reforged)

Captain type unit for Dalaran faction.

Based on the Kirin Tor Guardians from WoW, this art specifically used as reference:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dOr263

The unit and many more awesome assets will be a part of the upcoming WarCraft II Reforged campaign:
[Campaign] - Warcraft 2 campaign (reforged)

Technical:
- Assets used: Captain, Antonidas, Caine, Archmage, Swordsman, Brigand, Mountain King and Lesser Voidwalker
- Model assembly and textures by me
- Shield visibility and emission effects by Tamplier777

Icon coming soon...
Contents

Kirin Tor Guardian (Reforged) (Model)

Portrait (Model)

Reviews
Level 13
Wow, just wow.

While I can't legitimately comment Reforged assets anymore (Refunded), I have to say this is just wow.
Many of your other models/skins are awesome, but this one is just breath taking. Just wow.
Congrats and keep up the good work!

SO DOPE

INSTA USE

Gorgeous holy mother of...

EDIT: Teamcolor though? :'(
Oh yes, should have showed it better in the video, cape and tabard is team-coloured... just picked violet in the showcase, since it's fitting for Dalaran.

There you go, proper screenshot with team-colouring:

Team-Colour-Kirin-Tor-Guardian.png

Level 18
Quite strange, I thought you would do exactly that, but then I saw the health bar was red-ish so I assumed there was not teamcolor.

Glad there is! Even better!

EDIT: And thanks for the TC showcase!

Awesome! You could make High Elf Aethas Sunreaver by changing his weapon to staff and making his head a High Elf
Someone tried the head transplant operation in Reforged, it simply isn't possible, the animations are F-ed up, and portrait doesn't work.

Do you plan to do more Kirin Tor units and buildings?

Just had to ask, they're my second favorite faction in WoW(after the Forsaken), loved your Emerald Nightmare btw, even though I no longer own Refunded :p

No longer own.. oh boy.

Wee there will be a footman for sure. About other units I'm not sure about, just making the assets for campaign, so far the task is all human kingdom footmen and captains.

Last edited:
Level 13
Do you plan to do more Kirin Tor units and buildings?

Just had to ask, they're my second favorite faction in WoW(after the Forsaken), loved your Emerald Nightmare btw, even though I no longer own Refunded :p

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 32
Someone tried the head transplant operation in Reforged, it simply isn't possible, the animations are F-ed up, and portrait doesn't work.

hmm I guess I'll just use the High Elf Emissary as the base model and if you don't mind I'll use your assets here to insert them there... that is if I ever get a PC to run Reforged or Retera Studio

I really don't prefer the Reforged aesthetic & have no intention of modding HD so I'm not commenting on these models.

Except that s h i e l d ... Woof!
I for the most part really like what they done with the models and their textures.

Obviously as with very many people who played WC3 back in the day, I got hooked on WoW later (not the last expansion, but most of them).
So the theme they went for is pretty much WoW's, but slightly bulkier (it's an RTS after all, have to see differences better).
Sure there were small things to nitpick on, like Naga human ears etc., but can honestly say that I don't get the aesthetics dislike that some people bring up (unless you also dislike WoW's).

Cannot change anyone's tastes, but would love to see more Hive veterans participated in HD modding!

BTW, how did you do it, Retera Model Studio?
YesArthas.png

EDIT:
To elaborate more, I used existing meshed and custom textures.
- So the helmet for example is made from edited pieces of: Bandit Spearthrower bandana, Captain's bevor, Dwarf hero's beard ring.. was not easy one to do.
- Shoulders for example are made from elements of Antonidas' weapon heavily edited and some PopcornFX
- Similar story with his weapon
- The whole blinking Emissive (slowing stuff) and disappearing/appearing shield was done by Tamplier777 with his knowledge of .mdl edits, so technically that part wasn't done in Retera's

Last edited:
Level 18
Cherry on the cake would be that these purple parts get teamcolored as well. But I'm not sure that's even possible.
upload_2020-8-1_19-29-15.png

Level 4

No longer own.. oh boy.

Wee there will be a footman for sure. About other units I'm not sure about, just making the assets for campaign, so far the task is all human kingdom footmen and captains.

Super massive size... What is the max Size per map though in reforged though? like what 120mbs?

Super massive size... What is the max Size per map though in reforged though? like what 120mbs?
The model is significantly smaller in size than an original Reforged would be. The actual file size of this model is 19.8MB since I had to reupload all textures for portrait here.

Maximal file size on maps for online is 256MB atm., however everything in import section gets compressed to about 2/3 of initial size.

I like to bring the comparison that 256 is enough to bring 2 fully custom melee races into 1 map... I do hope it gets increased to 1GB, it's not early 2000s anymore, garbage texture mods for Fallout are at 1-2GB each so...

Level 4
The model is significantly smaller in size than an original Reforged would be. The actual file size of this model is 19.8MB since I had to reupload all textures for portrait here.

Maximal file size on maps for online is 256MB atm., however everything in import section gets compressed to about 2/3 of initial size.

I like to bring the comparison that 256 is enough to bring 2 fully custom melee races into 1 map... I do hope it gets increased to 1GB, it's not early 2000s anymore, garbage texture mods for Fallout are at 1-2GB each so...

CCP controls Blizzard so i don't think it would happen :(

CCP controls Blizzard so i don't think it would happen :(
I'm not sure why CCP would be so concerned with map file size when they have all those concentration camps and sweat shops to run, journalists to assassinate and global pandemics to cover up.

Eyo, ¨please¨ GTFO with that stuff from here.
I'm planning to add multiple fitting models to this pack, don't want my thread to be tainted with irl stuff.
I'd appreciate you deleting those posts and reserve the political discussion to fitting forums/threads, thanks.

Level 18
Eyo, ¨please¨ GTFO with that stuff from here.
I'm planning to add multiple fitting models to this pack, don't want my thread to be tainted with irl stuff.
I'd appreciate you deleting those posts and reserve the political discussion to fitting forums/threads, thanks.
That's a really surreal comment coming from a guy with a Moonman name and avatar but I respect the fantastic work you've done and your wishes so say goodbye to my post!

That's a really surreal comment coming from a guy with a Moonman name and avatar but I respect the fantastic work you've done and your wishes so say goodbye to my post!
Well thank you for understanding.
There were people on the internet before 2016, and I care very little to what modern connotations my favourite Vaporwave song and character has these days.
I will remove my comments after RagnarokBazil has done so and proceed with discussions of the model/s.

Level 7
The things you and the others are doing with CotSW are simply incredible! I tried my hand at making a Wacraft II remake myself in old W3 so I am incredibly hyped to see what other assets come out of this project!