• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Issues using NewGen WE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm often looking for questions that I can answer, but will not say "I promise to help, no matter what".
This "question" is likely to be ignored, because it's not a question. You say that you have a problem, but not what it is, when it happens, or anything else. There is no information, nothing that I can answer.
A question (with some content and context) will be looked at and I'll try to help.

I think WEX works with 1.30, though maybe not to it's fullest.

1.31 and 1.32... you're at mercy of standard WE. I think Hive WE also works if I recall correctly.

EDIT:

I looked up another thread where the actual problem is shown. So, to be clear, NewGen 2.0 is used? I recall that one is best with English build. Also, make sure all the paths for Warcraft are properly set. This might be the case in a multi-patch installation.

Level 1
Newgen is outdated by like 6 major patches. It wont work unless you run 1.26 (maybe even 1.24) dont remember 100%.

If you run 1.24-1.29 you want to use WEX instead.

Anything beyond that, you are locked into the standard WE I believe.
I think WEX works with 1.30, though maybe not to it's fullest.

1.31 and 1.32... you're at mercy of standard WE. I think Hive WE also works if I recall correctly.

EDIT:

I looked up another thread where the actual problem is shown. So, to be clear, NewGen 2.0 is used? I recall that one is best with English build. Also, make sure all the paths for Warcraft are properly set. This might be the case in a multi-patch installation.
I am using Newgen for 1.31 and is working fine.

Level 1
The benefits from using Newgen far outstrip the effort put in making it work. Besides, it is not like WEX works out of the box either. There was the addresses issue. However, solving the issue is a matter of a mere file replacement. I give you that, but Newgen has features that WEX does not have, such as the lifting of the doodad limit. Still, it is the same vice versa. In the end, things would be better off with a world editor that consists of the best features of both programs.

Level 24
Ok, sorry If I sounded rude, but I had some threads that were being ignored before, and now this was not ignored, so don't tell me that doesn't work.
Well, if you wanna help me, there is my issues:
  • The unique way to detect compilation errors is saving and sometimes don't tell me the exact compilation errors.
  • The test map button doesn't work.
  • In my case and I used this The Jass NewGen Pack (JNGP) 2.0 - WC3 Modding Information Center, but is too slow.
  • When I tried to modificate the things on the Grimore menu, the editor gets bugged.

Level 24
Wow, they claim that I did not say what problems I have, but I said first I wanna know if somebody will help me to not write and then being ignored, but I said what problems I have and you ignored me, not even a "I don't wanna help you now for being rude", are you serious?

and you ignored me, not even a "I don't wanna help you now for being rude", are you serious?

Are you serious?
How the f can anyone help you if you only say "I need help"?
Sure, try that strategy again and I'll ignore it next time instead of trying to help.

The information you gave made me realize that I cannot answer the question.
It's not "I don't want to help you" or "I feel mean and want to ignore someone", it is "I don't know enough about that to help you" (something I couldn't say with only the initial thread comment).

Level 24
Are you serious?
Sure, try that strategy again and I'll ignore it next time instead of trying to help.

It's not "I don't want to help you" or "I feel mean and want to ignore someone", it is "I don't know enough about that to help you" (something I couldn't say with only the initial thread comment).
Well, my mistake was not considering that could be you didn't know the answer (although that is disappointing), ok if you don't wanna this method I won't do it again, and is not like I said "you don't wanna help me" as the unique reason you didn't answer me, I just said "Tell me something, even if was that" because I wanna know what do you think after showing discontent of my tread, but anyway.

Level 5
Are you serious?

I was hoping nobody would take the bait, but you did.

• The unique way to detect compilation errors is saving and sometimes don't tell me the exact compilation errors.
  • The test map button doesn't work.
  • When I tried to modificate the things on the Grimore menu, the editor gets bugged.

• A JassHelper error should be thrown. I assume there's something with JassHelper and NewGen WE not properly installed. Just to be sure, does your antivirus remove any of the files?
  • I'm not sure if I recall correctly, test map for 2.0 works but for the older ones I'm not sure.
  • That's weird, 2.0 should be stable. Is it being laggy?
  • I recall Grimoire was not stable and shouldn't be touched per 1.24, if memories preserves.
The benefits from using Newgen far outstrip the effort put in making it work. Besides, it is not like WEX works out of the box either. There was the addresses issue. However, solving the issue is a matter of a mere file replacement. I give you that, but Newgen has features that WEX does not have, such as the lifting of the doodad limit. Still, it is the same vice versa. In the end, things would be better off with a world editor that consists of the best features of both programs.

Would be great if you don't mind providing them. I mean it's a pain to get NewGen WE running for 1.31, so shortcuts would help.

Level 24
  • A JassHelper error should be thrown. I assume there's something with JassHelper and NewGen WE not properly installed. Just to be sure, does your antivirus remove any of the files?
  • I'm not sure if I recall correctly, test map for 2.0 works but for the older ones I'm not sure.
  • I recall Grimoire was not stable and shouldn't be touched per 1.24, if memories preserves.
  • I think I remember the antivirus was did something, but I don't remember it deleted something.
  • So, what's the problem?
  • Only when I use GUI and the palettes, and some other things that already in the normal editor was slow for me but much slower.
  • I'm in the 1.26, and reinstalled the editor after touch the Grimoire.

Level 1
  • I think I remember the antivirus was did something, but I don't remember it deleted something.
  • So, what's the problem?
  • Only when I use GUI and the palettes, and some other things that already in the normal editor was slow for me but much slower.
  • I'm in the 1.26, and reinstalled the editor after touch the Grimoire.
Newgen 2.0 has too much jammed into it hence the sluggishness of it all. I recommend using any of TriggerHappy's variants instead. I use JNGP Lua Edition. A certain version of TESH once clogged down GUI Triggers and even Object editor, so you might want to update it to the latest version.

Would be great if you don't mind providing them. I mean it's a pain to get NewGen WE running for 1.31, so shortcuts would help.
Installing JNGP Lua Edition for 1.31 was a breeze. You will need the following:
  1. Classic game MPQs - download them in the link above or at WC3 Download Archive.
  2. Replace the text in findpath.lua with the following and config it as you see fit:
JASS:
print "Grimoire 1.5 5/4/2008"

-- This should be the path to your WC3 directory that contains the game MPQs
path = "C:\\Users\\Tuyen\\Desktop\\iccup_war3_en"

-- This should be the path to the latest Warcraft III.exe
testmap_exe = "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Warcraft III\\x86\\Warcraft III.exe"
Viola! That is all. Any version of JNGP worked for me ever since even with Reforged installed.

@HerlySQR Perhaps, you can fix your test map issue by replacing the text in the findpath.lua file. I use either Notepad++ or Visual Studio to edit the text. Notepad++ is more light weight, so I would go for that.

Last edited:
Level 24
Newgen 2.0 has too much jammed into it hence the sluggishness of it all. I recommend using any of TriggerHappy's variants instead. I use JNGP Lua Edition. A certain version of TESH once clogged down GUI Triggers and even Object editor, so you might want to update it to the latest version.
Installing JNGP Lua Edition for 1.31 was a breeze. You will need the following:
  1. Classic game MPQs - download them in the link above or at WC3 Download Archive.
  2. Replace the text in findpath.lua with the following and config it as you see fit:
JASS:
print "Grimoire 1.5 5/4/2008"

-- This should be the path to your WC3 directory that contains the game MPQs
path = "C:\\Users\\Tuyen\\Desktop\\iccup_war3_en"

-- This should be the path to the latest Warcraft III.exe
testmap_exe = "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Warcraft III\\x86\\Warcraft III.exe"
Viola! That is all. Any version of JNGP worked for me ever since even with Reforged installed.

@HerlySQR Perhaps, you can fix your test map issue by replacing the text in the findpath.lua file. I use either Notepad++ or Visual Studio to edit the text. Notepad++ is more light weight, so I would go for that.
I did that before, but I still have the problem of the test button because it can only test the last version and I'm using the 1.26.

Status
Not open for further replies.